The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which US city has NBC instructed the NHL to award the Cup.

Face it since Bettman has become commissioner no Canadian team has won a Stanley Cup. The last Canadian winners were the '93 Canadiens. After the first round scramble and the real contenders surface the officiating becomes totally slanted towards the American clubs vs their Canadian counterparts. The NHL with NBC blessing initially tried to promote hockey in the southern regions Carolina, Tampa Bay which didn't produce the interest in the deep south they hoped for. Calgary actually beat Tampa in game 6 but the winning goal was waived off. So after that failed promotion NBC went back to ordering the league to promote the teams in the largest television markets. For this year will it be New York's turn to hoist the cup or send it back to California in Anaheim.

:lol: Really sticking your neck out there, picking New York or Anaheim to win the Cup.

And how does Calgary beating Vancouver favor the American teams? I'll admit that Anaheim-Winnipeg wasn't well officiated, but do you honestly think that refereeing cost the Jets that series?

Why so many Canadian teams in the playoffs, if Bettman is so hell-bent on promoting American teams? Don't you think he could have pulled some strings to get Dallas, Columbus or the Panthers in the postseason?

Why have Edmonton win the McDavid sweepstakes? Don't you think he could have sold some tickets in Raleigh or Glendale?

These conspiracy threads get dumber and dumber...

Apparently, reffing is equally bad for all teams at all times. The homer glasses tend to skew things the way we want to see them.

But if I'm Bettman, and deliberately have an agenda against Canadian teams, you can bet that I'd do my best to hide it - ie the draft lottery... there's "clearly" no conspiracy as a Canadian team has won it 4 of the 6 years. As for deliberately getting U.S. teams into the playoffs, at WORST, there are 9 U.S. teams in the playoffs every single year, he doesn't need to prop up Dallas, Colorado, Columbus every year, based on the numbers alone. And with the laughably bad Oilers and Maple Leafs, and until this year the Flames, Jets and Sens, that was 14 U.S. teams any given year. He doesn't have to try to get U.S. teams in the playoffs, it just happens.

That said, my answer to the OP's question - Chicago. Nothing like the makings of a dynasty to get casual fans wanting to see what the fuss is about.

I don't buy into a formula or plan for a team to win.

I do know there's some piss poor officiating impacting momentum and contributing to results and the outcome in some big games.

Teams have to battle through, for sure and there is opportunity, DESPITE awful officiating, to get it done. Just makes it a little slanted and more difficult, that's all.

Some calls baffle after having seen others ignored...it catches teams off guard. But that's their issue to work on..."battling through it".

There were some non and bad calls. But we blew a 3-0 lead and that's truly sad. Not as easy as it looks, this playoff hockey. And you have to give props to the crew that does finish it out. Even if you/I despise them.

Face it since Bettman has become commissioner no Canadian team has won a Stanley Cup. The last Canadian winners were the '93 Canadiens. After the first round scramble and the real contenders surface the officiating becomes totally slanted towards the American clubs vs their Canadian counterparts. The NHL with NBC blessing initially tried to promote hockey in the southern regions Carolina, Tampa Bay which didn't produce the interest in the deep south they hoped for. Calgary actually beat Tampa in game 6 but the winning goal was waived off. So after that failed promotion NBC went back to ordering the league to promote the teams in the largest television markets. For this year will it be New York's turn to hoist the cup or send it back to California in Anaheim.

give it a rest, no Canadian team has earned the cup since Montreal won it

If things were rigged, McDavid would be going to the Coyotes.

Yeah but people only like to see things that validate their opinions so the conspiracy theorists never bring up that the last 35 first overalls have gone to Edmonton and have disappeared in some oil basin.

Here's more math for you.

Since the Canadiens won the cup in 93 how many Canadian teams have had a real shot at the cup? 3? maybe 4?

Number of Canadian teams is part of the equation. Money and taxes another really big part as well which opens up quality of players/teams in Canada.

Also just prior to Bettman I believe there was this team that was pretty good. 5 of those 8 were the Oilers. So the question really is why haven't there been any great Canadian Dynasties in so long? Last real Dynasty I can think of was Detroit?

LA was pretty much a modern-day dynasty. Three CF trips in three years, plus two cups to boot. Chicago is a close second.

If it really was rigged, don't you think a Canadian team would win it at least once in a while, just so that nobody would suspect it was rigged?

Nah. Canadian teams get to "make it to game 7" when they are in the SCF and that's as close as they're allowed to get, just enough to silence the conspiracy theorists. One day though I hope a canadian team can overcome the BS and win in spite of all the factors working against them.

Of course it's all rigged and it's time to start spreading the news. I suggest we inform the GMs of the seven Canadian teams that they are wasting their time. They will be thankful to the OP and all of us for this discovery! I can't believe the league has gotten away with this conspiracy! What is Chiarelli doing now going to Edmonton? Surely he should have known better!

While there's something to what you're saying (not in a glaring/conspiracy way in my view..more in a bit of a slant and horrible officiating league wide at times), it's not just isolated to this team. It's worse at times. The timing of calls in relation to non calls that have been made is suspect. When you ignore charging and boarding but hone in on the little details that are less damaging, it hints that the refs sometimes see what they want to.

But we had a 3 goal lead and let it go. I know the momentum shifted with some pretty untimely nonsense calls, but what we did after that counts.

Happens. We weren't really expected to do a whole lot this year and this is likely just reflective of that. A work in progress.

What exactly do you mean by "a bit of a slant"? Either the league is influencing outcomes or they are not. You say there is don't believe in a conspiracy but if you believe there is a slant in officiating then there is obviously a conspiracy. Can you please expand on what you mean by that?

how about how many teams with red or black jerseys winning the cup. psychological edge or alien conspiracy?

Ducks - black

B's - yellow and black

Calgary - red and black

carolina - red

chicago - red

detroit - red

la - black

montreal - red

nj - red

ottawa - red and black

pittsburgh - yellow and black

washington - red

12/30 teams(yes there was expansions early in this sample but still)

9/9 cups since 05 lockout

12/14 cups incl. 2000

18/23 cups since '91

LA was pretty much a modern-day dynasty. Three CF trips in three years, plus two cups to boot. Chicago is a close second.

Compare that to the old dynasties though and they aren't even close. They don't hold a candle to the Islanders, Canadiens Oilers or Red Wings Dynasties.

A strong argument can be made for the 94 Canucks. That final was so bloody rigged it's not even funny.

It was? They did a pretty poor job of it then...

One inch lower on Lafayette's shot and all of their careful planning goes out the window.

Here's more math for you.

Since the Canadiens won the cup in 93 how many Canadian teams have had a real shot at the cup? 3? maybe 4?

Number of Canadian teams is part of the equation. Money and taxes another really big part as well which opens up quality of players/teams in Canada.

Also just prior to Bettman I believe there was this team that was pretty good. 5 of those 8 were the Oilers. So the question really is why haven't there been any great Canadian Dynasties in so long? Last real Dynasty I can think of was Detroit?

It's the Cap era. You're not likely to see anything like the Montreal, Edmonton or Islanders' dynasties ever again. The Cap just won't allow teams to keep that much talent on one roster anymore.

The teams will still be able to stay competitive as LA and Chicago have done, but no-one will be able to dominate the league like the aforementioned teams.

how about how many teams with red or black jerseys winning the cup. psychological edge or alien conspiracy?

Ducks - black

B's - yellow and black

Calgary - red and black

carolina - red

chicago - red

detroit - red

la - black

montreal - red

nj - red

ottawa - red and black

pittsburgh - yellow and black

washington - red

12/30 teams(yes there was expansions early in this sample but still)

9/9 cups since 05 lockout

12/14 cups incl. 2000

18/23 cups since '91

jersey_oct_full_063008.jpg

burecanucksredskate.jpg

and who could forget team Germany:

canucks008.jpg?t=1300216503

Archived