The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

I been thinking to myself, can you win the cup with a average goaltender? The answer is nope.

Luongo was our last elite goaltender we had. Some of us forget his key saves he made in 2011. Lack let some horrible goals in Calgary, but Miller was even worst. So here is what Benning has.

Lack - a goaltender who worked his butt off and got us into the playoffs, but couldn't take the team to the next level in the playoffs.

Markstorm - a goaltender who has poor rebound control and hasn't proven much in the NHL.

Miller- a goaltender who is on the decline but can still win a game for you if he is on his game.

Luongo played a heck of a lot worse in round 1 in 2011 than Lack did in round 1 this year. Lack didn't even play poorly. He let in a single bad goal iirc

He is still capable of getting us 30+ wins a season so having Miller doesn't really hurt us in any way shape or form for 2 years.

We can't really move him as teams don't really need him. The only team that could use him is SJS but I doubt they want his cap hit because they need cap for a defenseman.

6 mil in cap space is a huge difference maker. So having him does hurt us in that sense. But yeah there isn't a big market for him for sure.

6 mil in cap space is a huge difference maker. So having him does hurt us in that sense. But yeah there isn't a big market for him for sure.

For us not really as he helps create a winning environment. The only players we should be bringing are our young players and we don't need cap to do that.

For us not really as he helps create a winning environment. The only players we should be bringing are our young players and we don't need cap to do that.

Lack is just as good and will get us just as many wins. The idea is to get better and try to contend and 6 mil in cap is huge. Keeping Miller is effectively wasting 6 mil of cap space. We should try to get rid of him for literally anything.

Lack is just as good and will get us just as many wins. The idea is to get better and try to contend and 6 mil in cap is huge. Keeping Miller is effectively wasting 6 mil of cap space. We should try to get rid of him for literally anything.

Lack has never started more than 40 games, he would need to play 60+ with Miller gone. Our team also needs 2 solid goalies down the stretch. Has for a while now.

We are only really bringing in young guys so there's no point to move Miller also no market.

When guys like Hamhuis Vrbata and Bieksa are gone next off-season then we we can reshape our defensive core enough so we won't need 2 goalies.

Right now we can't bring in any UFA since we are bringing in young guys and our core doesn't want to be moved. That and the fact this team has always relied heavily on not one but two solid goalies is why we shouldn't move Miller.

Lack has never started more than 40 games, he would need to play 60+ with Miller gone. Our team also needs 2 solid goalies down the stretch. Has for a while now.

We are only really bringing in young guys so there's no point to move Miller also no market.

When guys like Hamhuis Vrbata and Bieksa are gone next off-season then we we can reshape our defensive core enough so we won't need 2 goalies.

Right now we can't bring in any UFA since we are bringing in young guys and our core doesn't want to be moved. That and the fact this team has always relied heavily on not one but two solid goalies is why we shouldn't move Miller.

I think Lack is up to the task. I wouldnt be certain on us not moving some of our D and there is room for a UFA D or forward regardless. Can't expect us to be any good if we are wasting 6 mil in cap.

I think Lack is up to the task. I wouldnt be certain on us not moving some of our D and there is room for a UFA D or forward regardless. Can't expect us to be any good if we are wasting 6 mil in cap.

We aren't wasting 6M in cap though, he is good enough to win 30+ games.. We can't grab a UFA defenseman without moving Bieksa and Hamhuis since we have guys like Clendening and Corrado, who are waiver eligible, coming in. Neither Hamhuis or Bieksa look like they want to go anywhere.

Even Benning has stated that this team needs two great goalies and quite frankly I agree. Until our D-core gets revamped which should happen in the 2016-17 off-season we won't move Miller.

We could move Lack if we get a really good deal but I think Markstrom is the one to go.

We aren't wasting 6M in cap though, he is good enough to win 30+ games.. We can't grab a UFA defenseman without moving Bieksa and Hamhuis since we have guys like Clendening and Corrado who are waiver eligible coming in. Neither Hamhuis or Bieksa look like they want to go anywhere.

Even Benning has stated that this team needs two great goalies and quite frankly I agree. Until our D-core gets revamped which should happen in the 2016-17 off-season we won't move Miller.

We could move Lack if we get a really good deal but I think Markstrom is the one to go.

It is wasting that 6M cause Lack is good enough to win those games on his own. We dont need two starters, especially when one costs 6M and the other that is just cause good costs 1M. Its ridiculously inefficient.

Come on do you really think its Bennings plan to let both of Bieksa and Hammer go for free at free agency? We dont know what is happening behind closed doors but I'm fairly certain that isn't the plan. This off season is the time to move one or both of them. Or at the very latest the trade deadline.

I doubt we let Markstrom go, he isn't worth much of anything and is pretty much at his all time lowest value so that would be pretty awful asset management. It's probably going to be either Lack or Miller.

Honestly, I'd rather see Miller get traded. Eddie was actually pretty good and managed to get us into the playoffs, but sadly it wasn't enough to get to the next round. As for Markstrom... We don't talk about him. I know I shouldn't be judging him by the few games he's played, but I just don't think he's ready for the NHL yet.

It is wasting that 6M cause Lack is good enough to win those games on his own. We dont need two starters. Its ridiculously inefficient. Come on do you really think its Bennings plan to let both of Bieksa and Hammer go for free at free agency? We dont know what is happening behind closed doors but I'm fairly certain that isn't the plan. This off season is the time to move one or both of them.

I doubt we let Markstrom go, he isn't worth much of anything and is pretty much at his all time lowest value so that would be pretty awful asset management. It's probably going to be either Lack or Miller.

There's no market for Miller so by your logic it's Lack.

Your logic doesn't make sense though since management has stated they want 2 solid goalies.

Hamhuis and Bieksa won't waive. Especially Bieksa. Let will probably be let go in 16/17.

I been thinking to myself, can you win the cup with a average goaltender? The answer is nope.

Luongo was our last elite goaltender we had. Some of us forget his key saves he made in 2011. Lack let some horrible goals in Calgary, but Miller was even worst. So here is what Benning has.

Lack - a goaltender who worked his butt off and got us into the playoffs, but couldn't take the team to the next level in the playoffs.

Markstorm - a goaltender who has poor rebound control and hasn't proven much in the NHL.

Miller- a goaltender who is on the decline but can still win a game for you if he is on his game.

Again desi is wrong.

You CAN win with average goaltenders.

Corey Crawford is average.

Fluery, Osgood, Giguere.

Defense wins cups. Goalies just need to not suck.

There's no market for Miller so by your logic it's Lack.

Your logic doesn't make sense though since management has stated they want 2 solid goalies.

Hamhuis and Bieksa won't waive. Especially Bieksa. Let will probably be let go in 16/17.

There is a market for Miller, especially if we retain a little cap. It just isn't a big one. Lack and Miller aren't the only two goalies in the world, and just because management wants two solid ones doesn't mean Markstrom doesn't become after the good season he just had, or a cheap veteran backup for Lack out of UFA.

We have no concrete proof Hamhuis wont waive, so lets not pretend thats absolute or fact. Bieksa may we persuaded to waive if its explained to him that he isn't being resigned and that its in the overall best interest of the team.

There is a market for Miller, especially if we retain a little cap. It just isn't a big one. Lack and Miller aren't the only two goalies in the world, and just because management wants two solid ones doesn't mean Markstrom doesn't become after the good season he just had, or a cheap veteran backup for Lack out of UFA.

We have no concrete proof Hamhuis wont waive, so lets not pretend thats absolute or fact. Bieksa may we persuaded to waive if its explained to him that he isn't being resigned and that its in the overall best interest of the team.

Management won't trade Miller for nothing. Way too much of a risk to run Lack/Markstrom and management doesn't seem to want to take risks with our goaltending. Zero point in moving Miller as he is capable of winning 30+ games unless Bieksa/Hamhuis can be moved and both have NTC so I doubt that.

6M is great but we don't have any room on D to spend it. Wait till 2016-17 when Hamhuis and Bieksa are gone and we can reshape our defense enough to only need 1 solid goalie.

With that said I am sure if they needed to trade one it would be Lack and only for a solid deal. I doubt they trade either goalie though and I think Markstrom is the one to go.

Management said that this team needs two solid goalies. Miller/Lack are two solid goalies that they know can win us games and keep this team competitive.

JB said he wanted not one but 2 solid goaltenders. I don't think he trades Lack or Miller without a significant return coming back.

We are not going to be getting a significant return for Miller so...

It is most likely Markstrom to be the one to go but Lack could be had if the offer is good.

As I said before I would like to keep both goalies unless we're able to get a good deal for one of them which would be Lack.

Its time to get younger, give Markstrom the chance to get experience, give Eddie the chance to prove without a doubt that he is a good starter.

The Miller contract was horrible, time to move on from it while we can before he declines more. Sometimes the best return is just to get yourself out of a sticky situation.

Right now we have a good goalie we can lean on in Lack, if we trade him we have Miller who is 50/50 then a bunch of question marks after that (nothing is certain with Markstrom, and Demko is years away, and even he is no guarantee)

Its time to get younger, give Markstrom the chance to get experience, give Eddie the chance to prove without a doubt that he is a good starter.

The Miller contract was horrible, time to move on from it while we can before he declines more. Sometimes the best return is just to get yourself out of a sticky situation.

Right now we have a good goalie we can lean on in Lack, if we trade him we have Miller who is 50/50 then a bunch of question marks after that (nothing is certain with Markstrom, and Demko is years away, and even he is no guarantee)

I think Benning has to decide now whether Markstrom is worth developing and trying to be a #1 starter in the league. Markstrom won't be clearing waivers next year so it's either backup or trade out for him.

The question Benning needs to ask is Miller - Markstrom or Lack - Markstrom...

Truth be told I don't think Miller and Lack are far off in terms of ability, however in terms of developing Markstrom as a backup to hopefully take over as #1 then Miller makes a lot more sense.

But the end of the day the main contributing factor will be the value we can get back.

Archived