The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canned Hunting-S. Africa Home to Growing Tourist Industry

nucklehead

They are adorably cute, with grubby brown fur so soft it seems to slip through my fingers like flour. It is only when one of the nine-week-old cubs playfully grabs my arm with its teeth and squeezes with an agonising grip that I remember – this is a lion, a wild animal. These four cubs are not wild, however. They are kept in a small pen behind the Lion's Den, a pub on a ranch in desolate countryside 75 miles south of Johannesburg. Tourists stop to pet them but most visitors do not venture over the hill, where the ranch has pens holding nearly 50 juvenile and fully-grown lions, and two tigers.

Moreson ranch is one of more than 160 such farms legally breeding big cats in South Africa. There are now more lions held in captivity (upwards of 5,000) in the country than live wild (about 2,000). While the owners of this ranch insist they do not hunt and kill their lions, animal welfare groups say most breeders sell their stock to be shot dead by wealthy trophy-hunters from Europe and North America, or for traditional medicine in Asia. The easy slaughter of animals in fenced areas is called "canned hunting", perhaps because it's rather like shooting fish in a barrel. A fully-grown, captive-bred lion is taken from its pen to an enclosed area where it wanders listlessly for some hours before being shot dead by a man with a shotgun, hand-gun or even a crossbow, standing safely on the back of a truck. forHe pays anything from £5,000 to £25,000, and it is all completely legal.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/03/canned-hunting-lions-bred-slaughter

Shooting fish in a barrel for big boys.

I honestly don't get hunting other than survival. Shooting animals just for fun makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I like fishing, but I certainly don't like smashing fish heads or ripping worms in half. I should ask my friends, but I suspect the fun in hunting is not in the killing itself, but tracking, staying in the bush, and of course eating.

And I'm certain there are tons of hunters who don't get spending time on a web forum posting one liners. ;)

Lol. Hypocrites. We do the same thing for salmon, no enough in wild and we farm for their original use. Yet thats not cruel. Neither is having 100's of chickens or cows.

But farming lions when you lower the poachers threat on the wild lions, increase overall number in their whole species from 2000-7000 is unethical. Got it guys thanks.

Lol. Hypocrites. We do the same thing for salmon, no enough in wild and we farm for their original use. Yet thats not cruel. Neither is having 100's of chickens or cows.

But farming lions when you lower the poachers threat on the wild lions, increase overall number in their whole species from 2000-7000 is unethical. Got it guys thanks.

No one needs to eat lion meat. So I can take it then that you'd be all over this. This is something you'd be OK with paying big bucks in order to do. To be able to tell your friends, check it out I killed this lion. Sweet.

Poaching is a serious problem in Africa. While this method above is cruel, it is also an alternative for big game hunters to get their trophy rather than wiping out the wild population. I know something like this wouldn't stop all poaching but it should reduce the amount of poaching which is a good thing. Of course, I am not sold this is the intent of the ranch but if it isn't then it shouldn't be in business.

Poaching is a serious problem in Africa. While this method above is cruel, it is also an alternative for big game hunters to get their trophy rather than wiping out the wild population. I know something like this wouldn't stop all poaching but it should reduce the amount of poaching which is a good thing. Of course, I am not sold this is the intent of the ranch but if it isn't then it shouldn't be in business.

This is what I'm talking about 'trophy' hunting. What's the appeal?

Especially nowadays with all the technology being used in the 'hunt', it could hardly been considered hunting anyway.

I think an interesting element to hunting season would be if you could get human tags, the rules are that you must shoot in nature & the human must themselves be possessing a rifle...at least in these captivity places. I bet alot less people would feel that power of "sniping" an animal if they knew there was a chance that they themselves may be hunted.

This is what I'm talking about 'trophy' hunting. What's the appeal?

Especially nowadays with all the technology being used in the 'hunt', it could hardly been considered hunting anyway.

I don't know the appeal because I don't hunt but I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

Not even remotely close.

Cannot tell if sarcasm ? Most have no clue what a salmon farm does to the ocean floor ? Did you know that the color of a farmed salmon is nearly white. How do you think it gets it's color ?

Lions are predators that have an entire continent to roam and hunt and live. Breeding them into ridiculous captive numbers only to slaughter them for some pathetic ego maniacs mantle is truly disgusting.

To facilitate that selection process, pharmaceutical giant Hoffman-LaRoche developed what’s now known as DSM SalmoFan™ (Dutch multinational DSM acquired it in 2002).

This disgusting practice has been going on for over a decade.

There are many videos and documentaries exposing the disgusting capture breeding and slaughter of Lion's. There is no hunt at all. It is mob kill most of the time where the Lion is cornered by many men and shot at extremely close range.

The Lion petting Zoo's are nothing but a cover to get tourist dollars in while completely lying about why the so called lion zoo or sanctuary exists.

This man has dedicated his life in trying to educate the masses on the big cat and it's current plight.

http://www.lionwhisperer.co.za/

If I took a full grown, healthy lion out with my bare hands... I'd feel pretty badass about that. But you should feel nothing but shame in killing an animal while standing 20 feet back - behind a fence, with a shotgun in hand.

Archived