The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congratulations! You The Law Biding Citizen Might Now Be A Second Class Citizen

Hugor Hill

Every Canadian citizen who is convicted of treason or terrorism acts against Canada should be stripped of their citizenship and kicked out of this country, regardless of whether they have another citizenship elsewhere or not. We'll even help you file your refugee claim with the US if you like.

Let's start with Stephen Harper.

I don't feel terrorized by Harper. I mean, yeah, he's screwed up a little fair bit, but a.) who doesn't? and b.) I'm still not scared.

Every Canadian citizen who is convicted of treason or terrorism acts against Canada should be stripped of their citizenship and kicked out of this country, regardless of whether they have another citizenship elsewhere or not. We'll even help you file your refugee claim with the US if you like.

Let's start with Stephen Harper.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Congrats on that award. Hypocritical much?

Immigrants or "new citizens" should have the right to stay when they're originally from somewhere else but people born here that are only from here should have to leave???? Nice 180 in the last day. Congrats.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Congrats on that award. Hypocritical much?

Immigrants or "new citizens" should have the right to stay when they're originally from somewhere else but people born here that are only from here should have to leave???? Nice 180 in the last day. Congrats.

I said every citizen man. At least Jazz97 can read.

Same punishment applies to everyone. Sounds like equality to me.

I nearly started a thread about this topic after posting the WW2 losses video the other day...

...I knew I would be going up against the government-loving right, but it is actually scary now that I am in agreement with HH and LC and the government-loving left...

I nearly started a thread about this topic after posting the WW2 losses video the other day...

...I knew I would be going up against the government-loving right, but it is actually scary now that I am in agreement with HH and LC and the government-loving left...

Not everything is left vs right, or govt loving vs govt not-loving.

Hugor Hill, on 10 Jun 2015 - 6:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Do you recall from the OP, where the article's author points out that exile is outdated and undemocratic? :)

Regarding the overall issue, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Taking out the slippery slope arguments that some have brought up, if you take this law at face value, and someone is found to be a convicted terrorist, they either:

a: go to a Canadian prison

b: get deported, presumably extradited (I haven't read enough to know what they expect of the deported person's other country)

Those being deported would have to be sent to a country that would accept them, since the government would not just let the person go free. That person would (hopefully) not be deported to a country where they would receive a hero's welcome for their criminal behavior, but instead would be punished in that country, taking the costs of imprisonment out of Canadian taxpayer's hands.

Laws get misused all the time, so while I appreciate the concern to that end, don't you think that before a 2nd generation Canadian is deported, there just might be an appeal filed damn quickly to challenge it?

IMO, saving some tax money spent keeping some scumbag imprisoned for life when you have the opportunity to send said scumbag to a more appropriate country for punishment is more important than worrying about "second-class citizen" treatment that many of you are getting up in arms about.

Hugor Hill, on 10 Jun 2015 - 6:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Do you recall from the OP, where the article's author points out that exile is outdated and undemocratic? :)

Regarding the overall issue, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Taking out the slippery slope arguments that some have brought up, if you take this law at face value, and someone is found to be a convicted terrorist, they either:

a: go to a Canadian prison

b: get deported, presumably extradited (I haven't read enough to know what they expect of the deported person's other country)

Those being deported would have to be sent to a country that would accept them, since the government would not just let the person go free. That person would (hopefully) not be deported to a country where they would receive a hero's welcome for their criminal behavior, but instead would be punished in that country, taking the costs of imprisonment out of Canadian taxpayer's hands.

Laws get misused all the time, so while I appreciate the concern to that end, don't you think that before a 2nd generation Canadian is deported, there just might be an appeal filed damn quickly to challenge it?

IMO, saving some tax money spent keeping some scumbag imprisoned for life when you have the opportunity to send said scumbag to a more appropriate country for punishment is more important than worrying about "second-class citizen" treatment that many of you are getting up in arms about.

Just put them on an island in the middle of the pacific with no way to get off - no boats or planes or anything else. No guards. Let them forage and build a new life for themselves. Build a justice system. Etc.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/winnipeg-isis-supporters-detention-should-shock-every-canadian-rights-group-says/ar-BBkXqxW?ocid=AARDHP#image=1

The head of the Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties says 23-year-old ISIS supporter Aaron Driver should be charged or released from jail immediately.

Driver has been in custody for a week and RCMP are seeking a peace bond as they fear he will participate in terrorism, but so far no charges have been laid.

But that's what concerns civil rights advocates.

"It should shock every Canadian citizen that this is possible or that is being done," Corey Shefman told CBC News.

"I think it's a Tom Cruise movie -- Minority Report -- where they arrest people for crimes people might commit in the future and that's really what this is like to me. This situation we see here is a violation of our most basic legal right."

Shefman, who is also a practicing lawyer, says under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Canadians have the right not to be arbitrarily detained.

With Driver's next court date June 24, he will have been in custody for three weeks.

"I cannot comment on what he might or might not do, or what he has or hasn't done. But I do know he hasn't been charged with a crime and yet he finds himself behind bars without his freedom and no reason he has officially been presented with," Shefman said.

"The RCMP are asking for a peace bond which is basically a promise from Mr. Driver to behave himself," he said. "The problem is that he hasn't not behaved himself according to the law at this point."

Under Canada's new Anti-terrorism Act, also known as Bill C-51, people can be charged with the promotion of terror. Shefman said at this point, that's a separate issue because Driver has yet to be charged at all.

Driver's only recourse right now, according to Shefman, is to be released on bail.

The Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties is also stepping in to the case. Although it is not a personal advocacy group, Shefman said because of the public interest and high-profile nature of Driver's case, he has sent a letter to the federal justice minister expressing concern over what he calls a 'violation' of freedom.

"I'm sure there are people...who may feel for the safety of the man,y we have to put this one person into custody but the question always becomes, 'Who's next?'"

"When we're walking down the street, going about our daily lives...in the past we were able to be confident knowing unless we were charged with a crime we weren't going to lose our freedom," Shefman said. "That's not so clear any more."

Never thought I'd see this in Canada, 3 weeks no charges.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/winnipeg-isis-supporters-detention-should-shock-every-canadian-rights-group-says/ar-BBkXqxW?ocid=AARDHP#image=1

The head of the Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties says 23-year-old ISIS supporter Aaron Driver should be charged or released from jail immediately.

Driver has been in custody for a week and RCMP are seeking a peace bond as they fear he will participate in terrorism, but so far no charges have been laid.

"It should shock every Canadian citizen that this is possible or that is being done," Corey Shefman told CBC News.

"I think it's a Tom Cruise movie -- Minority Report -- where they arrest people for crimes people might commit in the future and that's really what this is like to me. This situation we see here is a violation of our most basic legal right."

Shefman, who is also a practicing lawyer, says under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Canadians have the right not to be arbitrarily detained.

With Driver's next court date June 24, he will have been in custody for three weeks.

"I cannot comment on what he might or might not do, or what he has or hasn't done. But I do know he hasn't been charged with a crime and yet he finds himself behind bars without his freedom and no reason he has officially been presented with," Shefman said.

"The RCMP are asking for a peace bond which is basically a promise from Mr. Driver to behave himself," he said. "The problem is that he hasn't not behaved himself according to the law at this point."

Under Canada's new Anti-terrorism Act, also known as Bill C-51, people can be charged with the promotion of terror. Shefman said at this point, that's a separate issue because Driver has yet to be charged at all.

Driver's only recourse right now, according to Shefman, is to be released on bail.

The Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties is also stepping in to the case. Although it is not a personal advocacy group, Shefman said because of the public interest and high-profile nature of Driver's case, he has sent a letter to the federal justice minister expressing concern over what he calls a 'violation' of freedom.

"I'm sure there are people...who may feel for the safety of the man,y we have to put this one person into custody but the question always becomes, 'Who's next?'"

"When we're walking down the street, going about our daily lives...in the past we were able to be confident knowing unless we were charged with a crime we weren't going to lose our freedom," Shefman said. "That's not so clear any more."

lol, what an overreacting baby

Minority Report for being charged with crimes you might commit in the future.. I guess he's never heard of conspiracy.

It also takes time to prepare for further proceedings. The prosecutor had to go through a judge to show probable cause to convince him to hold Driver, who had a lawyer in (open) court to present his case.

Hope the guy gets put away for life. The people whining about prevention of this guy committing terrorism, or thinking Canada will be a safe haven for propagating it, will just have to have their cry and get over it.

I, for one, love tweets like this:

CHFm8f6W8AAbhQL.jpg

Looks like it won't be hard for the guy to hang himself.

Guancanada Bay

There is no need for a law like this, it should be rare enough that Parliament can pass a motion for every individual they want to strip citizenship from.

Making a law that makes anywhere from 20-30% of Canadians are treated differently than the rest is problematic on many levels. The list of offences that can get you kicked out will assuredly grow. It is already not just terrorism, if you are a "dissident" as in complaining about the government you could already be kicked out.

Keep in mind, this isn't talking about people who are "citizens of convenience", those who don't live in Canada and don't have any strong ties to the country but hold a passport in case crap hits the fan in the country they are living in and they want the Canadian government to help them.

If you have a parent who is British, and in many cases a grandparent... you are eligible for citizenship there and fall under this law.

If you are Jewish, or convert to Judaism you have the right of return to Israel and are eligible for citizenship there... so this law applies to you.

There are many countries that allow people who are that nationality by descent to get citizenship, so even if you were born in Canada and lived your whole life here, if your ancestors (generally parents or grandparents), came from somewhere else you can now have your Canadian citizenship removed.

A very partial list:Poland, Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, Australia, Czech Republic, Italy, Ireland, Germany, India, Hungary, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, Bulgaria,

Archived