The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Florida- Vancouver [Proposal]

I highly doubt FLD is going to give you 11th overall and a 24 year old top 4 Dman with great potential to become full time top 2 Dman for 2 players in their 30's, who can walk as UFA at end of season and a B level 22 year old prospect.

The prospect going to Florida would need to be better and a pick included.

Definitely an intriguing idea (at least for the Vrbata and FLA 1st part, but yeah this trade's more likely for next deadline, unless we trade Radim like we did Schneider).

Not sure why they'd give up on Kulikov though, he is young and part of their building process, and if they don't trade him then we'd better trade Hammer to another team or keep him. He should be in demand.

Definitely not the worst idea; the rationale is there.

I highly doubt FLD is going to give you 11th overall and a 24 year old top 4 Dman with great potential to become full time top 2 Dman for 2 players in their 30's, who can walk as UFA at end of season and a B level 22 year old prospect.

The prospect going to Florida would need to be better and a pick included.

I agree, trade makes sense but we'd have to add a better prospect and/or our first.

I don't see either GM going for that, not even at the DL.

Benning wants to stay competitive, losing our #1 goal scorer and IMO best shut down Dman will not help us compete. It would help us get a top five pick next year though.

Talon prob wont bite on a couple of old guys and a #6-7 D for...ya. It's a no dude

I don't see either GM going for that, not even at the DL.

Benning wants to stay competitive, losing our #1 goal scorer and IMO best shut down Dman will not help us compete. It would help us get a top five pick next year though.

Talon prob wont bite on a couple of old guys and a #6-7 D for...ya. It's a no dude

Theyre both UFAs at the end of the season. This wouldnt be a deadline deal either, as the incentive for Florida is to actually make the playoffs and generate some income and fan base. So theyd likely want them through the entire season.

Theyre both UFAs at the end of the season. This wouldnt be a deadline deal either, as the incentive for Florida is to actually make the playoffs and generate some income and fan base. So theyd likely want them through the entire season.

agreed. It's a no.

Vancouver would need to give up more.

Only if you undervalue Canucks players.

If Andrej Sekera was worth a 1st round pick AND McKeown, Hammer is easily worth same if not more. Add in Vrbata who is a 30 goal threat, it would almost seem like an over-payment to me. Who cares how old they are, they are still the superior parts of the deal. There is no guarantee that Kulikov amounts to anything more than what he currently is and draft picks are always a gamble.

I think hammer would look amazing in Pittsburgh. Not that I want him traded but if we could get pouliot + for hammer that would be sweet. Might be able to land pouliot + another dec prospect. Kapanen perhaps? or a couple picks.. Isn't pitts 2nd mid range so maybe 2nd +.

Only if you undervalue Canucks players.

If Andrej Sekera was worth a 1st round pick AND McKeown, Hammer is easily worth same if not more. Add in Vrbata who is a 30 goal threat, it would almost seem like an over-payment to me. Who cares how old they are, they are still the superior parts of the deal. There is no guarantee that Kulikov amounts to anything more than what he currently is and draft picks are always a gamble.

The Sekera deal happened at the Trade Deadline last year, greatly increases his value. Also, LA knew their window was short. Their goal wasn't to just make the playoffs (like Florida is), but to win another Cup. Meanwhile, Florida is giving up two real good prospects/young players for two players in their mid 30s. Sure, it helps them make the playoffs, maybe even the 2nd round. However, they're obviously trying to build a team that can be a serious contender in a few years. Florida would be much better off trying to sign a free agent defenseman.

Archived