The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

When did I say that playing Boeser next year would suddenly make us a playoff team? Oh yeah.... I didn't.... I said that if he shows he's ready to play in the NHL, why put him in the minors? If he shows he can play in the NHL, he'll have shown that he doesn't need to adjust to the pro schedule or any of the other things you mentioned because he's already doing it. If Brock needs a year in the AHL then so be it, but if he doesn't need that year then sticking him in the AHL is simply not a good decision in my opinion.

Why hamper a player's development because of fantasies of next year's draft anyway? How about we just stick everyone in the AHL every year so we get continuous high picks and become the next Edmonton. Yay, awesome.... (yeah, please no, I like what we're doing and where this team is going and I'm really glad CDC isn't driving the ship lol)

Rare to find NHL players who do not give credit to their AHL time spent. Whether Boeser is on the team next year or not will not make the Canucks a contender. The issue is all about development. If Boeser spends 20 - 40 games in Utica it should be time well spent. Hutton's comment about media and fan unrealistic expectations of young players is bang on. Horvat was an exception. Ideally Boeser plays the rest of this season, the pre-season and another 9 games to start the season. Make a decision at that point.   

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

You make a lot of assumptions about things here. First of all, considering I also had another reply from someone else who clearly understood what I said, you misread my post.

That aside, what you claim that I say to be wrong is merely based on assumptions you are making. You are assuming he won't be able to keep up. Except, there are many exceptions in the league to this (*cough* Horvat). While McCann may not have been, you're using one person as your sample size, who played in a league with smaller kids than Boeser did  no less. So I don't really see how you've proven me wrong at all, especially when you're going to stereotype a rookie into thinking he'll be another McCann when Boeser has more experience playing against men in the NCAA than McCann would have in the CHL. It seems rather short-sighted to stereotype a rookie like that does it not? If you get a bigger sample size before jumping to conclusions it'll save you a lot of ulcers, just saying. ;)

One thing I've noticed with skating is a lot of the change comes from the offseason. Look at how some of our players improve over just one summer (like Horvat or Gaunce or even CoHo when he was here, numerous examples of this being true). While there obviously is improvement over the season too, there is equipment which really helps to improve a player's stride off the ice. This is where they can focus on those specific muscles to get better results and then focus more on their overall game during the season.

And my last statement on keeping everyone in the minors was a figure of speech. Apparently, it went over your head. Oh well.

Horvat is an extreme example of improving and even he did it over 2 years. Using Horvat as the example is the smaller sample size, as there are way less cases of what he did compared to what McCann did, which is quite common. 

The main reason I used McCann was for a quick comparison on the schedule. Whether he was playing against men or not, McCann was playing close to the same amount of games as he would in a full NHL season. He had to adapt to the bigger, stronger, faster, etc. competition. Boeser has already been playing with guys who are closer to the NHL physically, but he hasn't played as much. He would have to learn how to keep a consistent pace and recover properly over an 82 game season. I wasn't really comparing McCann directly to Boeser, I was mainly comparing the schedule difference to highlight how Boeser will likely struggle with a certain aspect of next season. 

Our very own Hutton went through something similar last year. He was great the first half of the season, but then started to fade away as he had never played that many games before. Stetcher is going through something similar, though not as bad. He looked more electric at the beginning of the season compared to now. There's nothing that you can do about this, it's just part of the transition from college to the NHL, just like how CHL players have to transition to more physically capable players in the NHL. Boeser will likely face this challenge whether he's in the NHL or the AHL, so his greatest obstacle would still follow him.   

Even if he did work on his skating and came into camp at Horvat level (which is unlikely), would giving him more time to improve be a terrible thing? Based on how quickly he improved, wouldn't he improve even more with a full year of extra practice? Just because he spent this summer working on his skating and he improved doesn't mean he shouldn't keep working on it, right?

To take you point about the equipment that helps player's strides. He could use that for a full year down in Utica. If he improves his skating to the point where he's at the NHL level over the summer, he should easily be an above average skater with a full year of extensive training under his belt. 

And again, the main reason I might prefer to keep him down is the avoid the losing season we should/will have next year. Nothing to do with Boeser being physically incapable or anything. The two additional bonuses to that would be a full year to work on skating and a year to transition to the pro schedule. Also, we could easily call him up for a stint or a road trip or something to see what he can do. I haven't read to many of the articles, but it seems like his family would benefit from the NHL paycheck throughout the year. He's not locked down in the minors. 

And again, if management keeps him up for the majority of the year it will be a good thing too. It shows that they have confidence in him as a player and as a person to handle a long season. It's really a win-win either way. 

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin is 26 and won't turn 27 until November, he is also the Swedish Elite league MVP from last year and managed that while being injured for the last third of the season!!!

....he is not a wildcard ....he is a highly skilled offensive and defensive player who will be on our top 9 next year....book it.

Goldobin will have the flu for 2-4 more weeks....it is a 6-8 week flu according to my Doctor...I am still getting over it 8 weeks later....he is playing great for the circumstances.

Juolevi looks like a different player in the playoffs...he can elevate his game and I expect him to push for a spot in the fall.

Virtanen just needs to keep his nose the grindstone all summer and practise his shot precision....he seems to be getting it and I expect big things from him soon.

Boucher has a wicked shot...better to have him then Megna or Chaput or Skille....I kinda like Shore so far, he has some upside still.

You expect all these guys pushing with no spots open?

Projected 2017 Canucks lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser/Rodin?

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Labate/Camarossa?-Chaput/Guance- Skille/Dorsett/Virtanen/Shore?

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Tryamkin,Biega, Juolevi, Subban/McEneny?

Miller?

Markstrom

Seems like a huge log jam and no room for Juolevi or Virtanen and Rodin.

Heck Tryamkin wouldn't have a spot this year if Gudbranson doesn't get put out for the season.

Not to mention the cluster of bodies on the 4th line.

54 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Miller?

Markstrom

Heck Tryamkin wouldn't have a spot this year if Gudbranson doesn't get put out for the season.

First of all, not a granlund fan?

Benning is going to trade a D this summer. Bank on it. One of Sbisa, Gaunce or Boucher(if not traded) are going to be sent to Vegas. Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen will compete for spots but some will be in Utica. I think Rodin goes back overseas but who knows. Wont be surprised if Benning signs some UFAs. There are a lot of moving pieces next year and spots will be open or opened for players that deserve it. Im my mind I think we stalk Utica with our best prospects and call this next year a rebuild year. Let players try to prove themselves, make trades at the deadline, bring up the young players halfway through the year and get a high draft pick next year.

Baer-Bo-Boucher

Sedins-Granlund

Rodin/UFA-Sutter-Eriksson

Crammer-Chaput-UFA (Iginla calibre/ someone worth something at the deadline)

Edler-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Sbisa/Hutton-Guddy

Markstrom

Bachman

In Utica

Dahlen-2017pick/Valk-Boeser

Goldy-Cassels-Virtanen

Jasek-MacEwen-Abols

Labate etc

Subban-McEneny

Pedan-Brisebois

Neill-Sautner________Juolevi to Europe

Demko

Garteig

Trade deadline

Trade Sedins, Edler, Ufa's, Value assets that get a good return if playing well(maybe one of Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter or Sbisa)

Moving into 2018

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-2017/18pick-Granlund

Dahlen-Sutter-Eriksson/Virtanen

Labate-Chaput-Crammer

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Subban/Mceneny/Brisebois-Gudbranson

Markstrom

Demko

I actually think that 2018 roster to be somewhat realistic with what might happen. I doubt the canucks leave all their best prospects in Utica for a year but the reason for doing so would be to let them develop fully with a good team in Utica. Next year is going to be a bust but in a couple I think we will have a very fun young team to watch!

Edited by RetroCanuck

46 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

You know I think we have a gem, you know, in Brock Boeser, you know, he scored in his NHL debut, you know and he played 18ish minutes in his 2nd game, you know, WD doesn't give that kind of minutes to rookies, you know, you know you know you know what i'm sayin yo you know.

Who knew....

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Miller?

Markstrom

Baer / Bo  / Boeser

Granlund / Suter / Rodin

Sedins / Goldy

Dorsett / Gaunce / Virtanen

Boucher,   then either Shore or Chaput for #14 forward

Sbisa is going to get picked up by Vegas, Edler should be traded by the deadline anyway, leaving us:

Hutton / Tanev

Tryamkin / Stecher

Juolevi / Gudbranson

Biega

Sedins need to play under 12 minutes a game most of next season....so third line minutes...anymore and they will just break down and be useless for the playoff push ....if there is one.

If we can get to that line up as quick as possible we will have 4 lines that can score and check by spring if not xmas.

Let the kids play!

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Miller?

Markstrom

You seriously don't have Granlund or Tryamkin in your 2017 starting lineup? Not to mention Boucher?

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

First of all, not a granlund fan?

Benning is going to trade a D this summer. Bank on it. One of Sbisa, Gaunce or Boucher(if not traded) are going to be sent to Vegas. Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen will compete for spots but some will be in Utica. I think Rodin goes back overseas but who knows. Wont be surprised if Benning signs some UFAs. There are a lot of moving pieces next year and spots will be open or opened for players that deserve it. Im my mind I think we stalk Utica with our best prospects and call this next year a rebuild year. Let players try to prove themselves, make trades at the deadline, bring up the young players halfway through the year and get a high draft pick next year.

Baer-Bo-Boucher

Sedins-Granlund

Rodin/UFA-Sutter-Eriksson

Crammer-Chaput-UFA (Iginla calibre/ someone worth something at the deadline)

Edler-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Sbisa/Hutton-Guddy

Markstrom

Bachman

In Utica

Dahlen-2017pick/Valk-Boeser

Goldy-Cassels-Virtanen

Jasek-MacEwen-Abols

Labate etc

Subban-McEneny

Pedan-Brisebois

Neill-Sautner________Juolevi to Europe

Demko

Garteig

Trade deadline

Trade Sedins, Edler, Ufa's, Value assets that get a good return if playing well(maybe one of Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter or Sbisa)

Moving into 2018

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-2017/18pick-Granlund

Dahlen-Sutter-Eriksson/Virtanen

Labate-Chaput-Crammer

Juolevi-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Subban/Mceneny/Brisebois-Gudbranson

Markstrom

Demko

I actually think that 2018 roster to be somewhat realistic with what might happen. I doubt the canucks leave all their best prospects in Utica for a year but the reason for doing so would be to let them develop fully with a good team in Utica. Next year is going to be a bust but in a couple I think we will have a very fun young team to watch!

I forgot about Granlund. Also though Dahlen is staying in Europe. He's not coming over, like he is not. That's a fact.

Is Juolevi to Europe actually confirmed?

39 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You seriously don't have Granlund or Tryamkin in your 2017 starting lineup? Not to mention Boucher?

I forgot Granlund. Out of sight out of mind.

No I have Boucher on the 3rd line. I put Sbisa and Gudbranson ahead of Tryamkin based on seniority to show how unreasonable it is to expect Virtanen and Rodin and Juolevi and Boeser will all make the team and find a spot when Tryamkin needs a d to get traded before there is room for him.

Forget Juolevi or Virtanen making it next year. Goldobin and Boucher are further ahead in developing.

Virtanen isn't even a good player in the minors yet.

59 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wow not a dry eye after that one. Amazing to have such a character kid and great human apart of this organization moving forward. You can tell Brock "gets it".

I have to ask, and his is in the most respectful manner possible but is his father diagnosed with something? He seems like a sweet, sweet man but I couldn't help notice some symptoms...

Edited by Camel Toe Drag
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

Sort of unrelated, but I'm wondering if seeing how Boeser handled everything going on in his life (His close friends passing away, his father's Parkinsons) influenced Benning's decision to draft him. A guy with that much character and resolve, after everything that has happened to him, still able to play at the top of his game. Much respect to Boeser. 

44 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I forgot about Granlund. Also though Dahlen is staying in Europe. He's not coming over, like he is not. That's a fact.

Is Juolevi to Europe actually confirmed?

Neither of those things are confirmed. Dahlen has not said yet wheres he's going to play next year. Still wish to talk to his family etc. and no Juolevi isn't set to play anywhere, although I don't think more time with the knights will help so he will most likely be playing with the Canucks or Europe. Im personally hoping for Europe and another year of development but he'll probably end up with the Canucks.

20 minutes ago, hanzolo said:

Sort of unrelated, but I'm wondering if seeing how Boeser handled everything going on in his life (His close friends passing away, his father's Parkinsons) influenced Benning's decision to draft him. A guy with that much character and resolve, after everything that has happened to him, still able to play at the top of his game. Much respect to Boeser. 

I think it definitely did. Benning has stated he places an emphasis on character. IIRC Bo (not a JB pick but still one of his prized possessions) had a friend pass away who wore number 35, hence why Bowie wears 53. I think Demko had something similar happen. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Don't want to be off topic here but it was pretty cool that they mentioned having Brock's parents read the opening lineup was Willie's idea. I know that there's a lot of discontent with Willie (and I find myself questioning his lineup decisions as well) but I think that you have to give credit to him for what he's done with some of our young players - Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin, Stetcher, and Tanev even (who was 24 when Willie joined the Canucks and only had one full NHL season under his belt). 

Anyways, behind the scenes clips are always interesting and I'm super happy for Boeser. The future is bright. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, hanzolo said:

Word is he impressed a lot of teams in the interviews, including Minnesota who picked Eriksson-Ek three spots ahead only because they needed a centre.

3 hours ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

You know I think we have a gem, you know, in Brock Boeser, you know, he scored in his NHL debut, you know and he played 18ish minutes in his 2nd game, you know, WD doesn't give that kind of minutes to rookies, you know, you know you know you know what i'm sayin yo you know.

Might be NHL ready, but not Interview ready LOL.

• Upvote 1