The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Guess Jack Eichel will do the same with Buffalo eh? Being a Boston U guy, he probably would prefer the Bruins over the Sabres and all.

No because Eichel has made it clear he wants to play hockey and be in the NHL as soon as possible.

I am worked up? No I am not and Oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a forum about hockey in a topic about Brock Boeser. I am not the one who has started talking about losing sleep or getting worked up quite the opposite really I discussing about Brock in his thread and the concerns that we could potentially have with him because more and more players are choosing to get their degrees, I don't care what past players have done, and become UFA's. We now have a player that has a pretty good chance of going this route and not just because oh he's in college but because of the other things I have seen of him that from what I see puts him at a higher chance of choosing to use this loophole than some other players.

It's not like Brock is saying oh I am so happy to be part of the Canucks oh I am so happy to eventually be a canuck.. yada yada. No he is being very stoic and deflecting those questions and talking about his college degree and college hockey. Which is fine maybe that's how his personality is but once Minnesota was mentioned wow the kids eyes lit up he smiled he laughed it was so obvious his dream is to be a Minnesota wild. I understand that many players grow up loving certain teams then not being able to play for them but the route Brock chose if he commits to longer than the 2 years he is as good as a Wild prospect.

You basically guaranteed that he's going to leave, yet you probably never even watched or read anything of the player before Friday. Why don't you throw out some lottery numbers while you're at it? I personally believe he was emotional after being selected, because of the adversity he has gone through to get here. Between his dads accident and close friends recent passing. I'd bet he's just taking in the moment, and saviouring life. By every report he's a class act, and in MY OPINION (important because it guarantees nothing) we'll see him in a Nucks uniform withen 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Thanks TheLiveWire, that's a great set of observations and those echo my own thoughts on him. He was honestly my top pick, along with Guryanov, for guys that I thought would probably be there at 23. Even with Merkley and Konecny falling I still like the decision to go with Boeser.

Great post.

Thank you. Also, check out this guys post from a while back.

canucklehead44, on 27 Jun 2015 - 01:29 AM, said:snapback.png

Really good pick. I think the USHL is very underrated, a lot of later 1st round and 2nd round picks become really solid players.

Kyle Okposo, Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty, John Carlson, Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Matt Carle, Alex Chiasson, Justin Faulk, John Gibson, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Goligoski, Matt Greene, Martin Hanzal, Seth Jones, Rostislav Klesla, Dylan Larkin*, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Matt Nieto, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Saad, Jaden Schwartz, Paul Stastny, Mark Stuart, Jared Tinordi, Jacob Trouba, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Wiercoch, Jimmy Hayes, Blake Wheeler

35 goals is very impressive. Here are USHL goal totals at draft year (in some cases 1 year before or after) amongst a number of successful NHLers:

Okposo: 27G 50GP

Gagner: 11G 56GP

Pacioretty: 21G 60GP

Abdelkader: 27G 60GP

Backes: 28G 57 GP

Chiasson: 17G 57GP

Girgensons: 24G 49GP

Hanzal: 4G 19GP

J.T. Miller: 3G 21GP

Nieto: 14G 21GP

Saad: 12G 24GP

Oshie: 3G 11GP

Schwartz: 33G 60GP

Stastny: 30G 56GP

Vanek: 46G 53GP

Hayes: 4G 21GP

Wheeler: 19G 58GP

Boeser is in some very good company. Only Vanek scored more goals, and he is an elite level sniper.

I would expect Boeser to be in the 40-50 point range, and a guy who regularly scores 20 goals and might hit 30 once or twice.

That is a GREAT list of names out of players who came out of the USHL, and honestly, in comparison to their numbers, he is in ELITE company. Consider that with the fact that he was kind of a one man show on his team, like the commentator said, that makes me VERY confident.

Also, with the kid headed to the University of North Dakota, here are some names of players who they produced: They produced some role players like Joe Finley, Matt Frattin, Matt Greene, Brian Lee, Chris Porter Brad Malone, Chris Vandevelde, and Brock Nelseon. But they also produced some top talented players in: TJ Oshie, Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, and Jonathan Toews.

Both of those lists are some great company to have your name in. Especially the first one where he blew a lot of players out of the water.

The only player on both of these lists, (to play in the USHL and be produced by North Dakota) is TJ Oshie. Now Oshie's numbers in the USHL is skewed because he played 11 games before going to Dakota. He put up 3 goals and 2 assists in 11 games. Still, compared to Boeser's 68 in 57, it still shows impressive. Oshie was also drafted at 24, as opposed to Boeser at 23. Not saying he is TJ Oshie as they are very different players, but I just think it goes to show we may honestly have somebody special on our hands. I'm confident he can develop into a top 6 player.

You basically guaranteed that he's going to leave, yet you probably never even watched or read anything of the player before Friday. Why don't you throw out some lottery numbers while you're at it? I personally believe he was emotional after being selected, because of the adversity he has gone through to get here. Between his dads accident and close friends recent passing. I'd bet he's just taking in the moment, and saviouring life. By every report he's a class act, and in MY OPINION (important because it guarantees nothing) we'll see him in a Nucks uniform withen 3 years.

No I didn't I said if he returns to college after 2 years then I am saying 100% he is not going to play a game as a Canuck.

A better list would be a list of players with similar PPG and GPG as Boeser but didn't make the NHL (busts) or just one comprehensive list. The list above is not really insightful because it only provides NHLers who made it. One could make almost any prospect look good by that measure. If I made a list like this for Brendan Gaunce's comparables it would be guys like Getzlaf, Bergeron, O'Rielly, Ebrele, Johansen, etc. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks those are real possibilities for Gaunce (save for a few die-hard supporters). So that list has a several big names, but how many players had very similar draft profiles to Boeser but never made the NHL? Perhaps for every one of those NHLers on the list there were 4 or 5 who were busts.

Keep expectations realistic. His progress the next two years will be crucial in determining if he'll be an NHLer and if so what type of one he is likely to be.

One other thing to note, Boeser had a very high shooting percentage this year (14.5%) which means his goal total was likely slightly inflated (he got a little lucky), but - and I would argue more importantly - his shot metrics were fantastic at 4.2 shots per game.

I am worked up? No I am not and Oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a forum about hockey in a topic about Brock Boeser. I am not the one who has started talking about losing sleep or getting worked up quite the opposite really I discussing about Brock in his thread and the concerns that we could potentially have with him because more and more players are choosing to get their degrees, I don't care what past players have done, and become UFA's. We now have a player that has a pretty good chance of going this route and not just because oh he's in college but because of the other things I have seen of him that from what I see puts him at a higher chance of choosing to use this loophole than some other players.

It's not like Brock is saying oh I am so happy to be part of the Canucks oh I am so happy to eventually be a canuck.. yada yada. No he is being very stoic and deflecting those questions and talking about his college degree and college hockey. Which is fine maybe that's how his personality is but once Minnesota was mentioned wow the kids eyes lit up he smiled he laughed it was so obvious his dream is to be a Minnesota wild. I understand that many players grow up loving certain teams then not being able to play for them but the route Brock chose if he commits to longer than the 2 years he is as good as a Wild prospect.

This is 'discussing' in only the faintest sense. You are interpreting the 'look in his eyes' and coming up with scenarios that run contrary to what most players in Boeser's situation do. Hundreds of players have taken the NCAA route and less than a handful of legit NHL prospects have used the loophole that you think Boeser is "100% likely to use".

This isn't discussion. This isn't analysis. This is a "gut feeling" you have and are speaking about it like it is a certainty. I've watched the Boeser interviews - both pre-draft and after Vancouver picked him. His expression is exactly the same in every interview. He is a stoic, even keeled kid. I never saw the 'delight in his eyes' when he talked about Minnesota, I only saw him crack a smile when Joey Kenward asked him what his favourite movie was in a fluff piece interview.

I honestly don't see what you are seeing and I would suggest a lot could change over the next 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc. He'll get to know the Canucks team, staff, and management. He'll find out more about what his NHL trajectory is and how good he could be in the NHL. Worrying about the look in his eyes on June 26 and what that might mean 4 years later is an exercise in futility.

• Upvote 1

A better list would be a list of players with similar PPG and GPG as Boeser but didn't make the NHL (busts) or just one comprehensive list. The list above is not really insightful because it only provides NHLers who made it. One could make almost any prospect look good by that measure. If I made a list like this for Brendan Gaunce's comparables it would be guys like Getzlaf, Bergeron, O'Rielly, Ebrele, Johansen, etc. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks those are real possibilities for Gaunce (save for a few die-hard supporters). So that list has a several big names, but how many players had very similar draft profiles to Boeser but never made the NHL? Perhaps for every one of those NHLers on the list there were 4 or 5 who were busts.

Keep expectations realistic. His progress the next two years will be crucial in determining if he'll be an NHLer and if so what type of one he is likely to be.

One other thing to note, Boeser had a very high shooting percentage this year (14.5%) which means his goal total was likely slightly inflated (he got a little lucky), but - and I would argue more importantly - his shot metrics were fantastic at 4.2 shots per game.

I'll save you the trouble. There are hundreds of players in the USHL history who have had similar PPG and busted. That is how junior leagues work. That doesn't mean anything except that Boeser isn't a guarantee, just like any prospect. Would you also like to see the hundreds of CHLers who have had the same PPG as Merkley or Konecny who have also busted?

The list simply shows that Boeser's production is at the same level as over a dozen USHL players who became NHL players. It doesn't show if he'll make it or not, merely that his 'ceiling' is as high as any of those guys on that list with maybe the exception of Thomas Vanek, who scored significantly higher.

If you want to dig around for the names of hundreds of kids who had Boeser's PPG but weren't rated nearly as highly by NHL scouts, be my guest. I'm not sure what it will tell you though other than they weren't good prospects to begin with.

I'll save you the trouble. There are hundreds of players in the USHL history who have had similar PPG and busted. That is how junior leagues work. That doesn't mean anything except that Boeser isn't a guarantee, just like any prospect. Would you also like to see the hundreds of CHLers who have had the same PPG as Merkley or Konecny who have also busted?

The list simply shows that Boeser's production is at the same level as over a dozen USHL players who became NHL players. It doesn't show if he'll make it or not, merely that his 'ceiling' is as high as any of those guys on that list with maybe the exception of Thomas Vanek, who scored significantly higher.

If you want to dig around for the names of hundreds of kids who had Boeser's PPG but weren't rated nearly as highly by NHL scouts, be my guest. I'm not sure what it will tell you though other than they weren't good prospects to begin with.

No I really don't because I know you are correct -- many have busted. My point was when we talk about potential or projection we got to be realistic. Just because he could turn into a top 6 winger doesn't mean he is likely to. I guess I could be called a projected lottery winner because I bought a ticket, never mind that the odds are over a million to one.

I think his list of NHL comparables is more of an assessment of his average and his ceiling and really has nothing to do with his floor.

Pavelski, Okposo, Pacioretty, Saad, and Schwartz are more of his ceiling ie Perfect Development

Wheeler, Stastny, Backes are more Great Development

Abdelkader Average Development

All of these guys played in the USHL during their draft year exactly like Boeser, except Vanek who played his pre-draft but was still 18 (was drafted at 19) and Wheeler who played his draft+1 at 19:

DxGcKJO.png

Edited by Derp...

I think his list of NHL comparables is more of an assessment of his average and his ceiling and really has nothing to do with his floor.

Pavelski, Okposo, Pacioretty, Saad, and Schwartz are more of his ceiling

Yes, I agree. Perhaps more as an assessment of ceiling than average though. If Boeser can turn into a 3rd line winger who plays over 200 NHL games that is a successful would make this selection successful.

That attribute I like most about him is his ability to get off a quick shot. There is not much time and space in the NHL and if he can hone that skill he could really work out. That attribute that scares me the most is that some scouts have said he isn't particularly strong in one-on-one puck battles for 50/50 pucks.

Yes, I agree. Perhaps more as an assessment of ceiling than average though. If Boeser can turn into a 3rd line winger who plays over 200 NHL games that is a successful would make this selection successful.

That attribute I like most about him is his ability to get off a quick shot. There is not much time and space in the NHL and if he can hone that skill he could really work out. That attribute that scares me the most is that some scouts have said he isn't particularly strong in one-on-one puck battles for 50/50 pucks.

I added a little assessment form that small sample size to say his average development would lead to a Abdelkader type of NHLer

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=81002

Abdelkader only had about 50 points in his first 200 NHL games

Backes had 100

Wheeler 95

Stastny had 180 in his first 200!

Schwartz 135

Pavelski had 130

Okposo had 115

Pacioretty 115

Saad 125

Johnny G is on pace for 160

Oshie 125

Kassian is at 66 in 198 just so you guys know. He's projecting slightly better than an Abdelkader thus far.

Kass becomes a comparable in a way then too in the lower end of his development curve

If he gets to 200 NHL games we'll have a decent idea of what his ceiling is and his average.

It's safe to say he's a prospect and time will tell.

No I really don't because I know you are correct -- many have busted. My point was when we talk about potential or projection we got to be realistic. Just because he could turn into a top 6 winger doesn't mean he is likely to. I guess I could be called a projected lottery winner because I bought a ticket, never mind that the odds are over a million to one.

Oh I am well aware of the probability for a 23 pick and I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought he was a 'sure thing'. But some picks have good odds to make the NHL but not necessarily be an impact player at that level (Gaunce is a good example). Boeser has that potential, even if it isn't a sure thing. That was the point I hoped to convey with that list. Upside, not certainty.

He's definitely promising. Believe he will be a key piece to our potential championship core. I can see him and Horvat bringing us multiple cups. Perhaps even our own dynasty. He will take his time and develop into all he can be. Heard 2 main comparisons pavelski and okposo. Pavelski was JBs closest comparison I believe

He's definitely promising. Believe he will be a key piece to our potential championship core. I can see him and Horvat bringing us multiple cups. Perhaps even our own dynasty. He will take his time and develop into all he can be. Heard 2 main comparisons pavelski and okposo. Pavelski was JBs closest comparison I believe

Careful with that optimism, you might run afoul of people who believe that the Oilers and Flames are locks for the conference finals for the next decade.

This is 'discussing' in only the faintest sense. You are interpreting the 'look in his eyes' and coming up with scenarios that run contrary to what most players in Boeser's situation do. Hundreds of players have taken the NCAA route and less than a handful of legit NHL prospects have used the loophole that you think Boeser is "100% likely to use".

This isn't discussion. This isn't analysis. This is a "gut feeling" you have and are speaking about it like it is a certainty. I've watched the Boeser interviews - both pre-draft and after Vancouver picked him. His expression is exactly the same in every interview. He is a stoic, even keeled kid. I never saw the 'delight in his eyes' when he talked about Minnesota, I only saw him crack a smile when Joey Kenward asked him what his favourite movie was in a fluff piece interview.

I honestly don't see what you are seeing and I would suggest a lot could change over the next 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc. He'll get to know the Canucks team, staff, and management. He'll find out more about what his NHL trajectory is and how good he could be in the NHL. Worrying about the look in his eyes on June 26 and what that might mean 4 years later is an exercise in futility.

I am not interpreting the look in eyes and being like Oh he doesn't want to be here. I have watched his Interviews I've seen what he said I've see how his body language has changed. Not only that but with his attitude where he is focusing on college and not being like I want to be in the NHL right now or as soon as possible it is concerning. I then have said more and more players are taking the college loophole route to become a free agent. Then you go and say oh hundreds of players have gone the college route blah blah blah; Yea and you know what more and more are deciding to stay in college and become highly sought after prospect UFA's.

He will hardly see the Canucks while he is in college he will see them basically each summer and then return to school.

There are some concerns to have the way things are and you are just like nope lets look at some meaningless stats you see here he's going to be david backes!

I am not interpreting the look in eyes and being like Oh he doesn't want to be here. I have watched his Interviews I've seen what he said I've see how his body language has changed. Not only that but with his attitude where he is focusing on college and not being like I want to be in the NHL right now or as soon as possible it is concerning. I then have said more and more players are taking the college loophole route to become a free agent. Then you go and say oh hundreds of players have gone the college route blah blah blah; Yea and you know what more and more are deciding to stay in college and become highly sought after prospect UFA's.

He will hardly see the Canucks while he is in college he will see them basically each summer and then return to school.

There are some concerns to have the way things are and you are just like nope lets look at some meaningless stats you see here he's going to be david backes!

I think your starting to wig out over 10 seconds of body language from a kid on draft day.