The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

skill and size? he's listed as 6'0 and 190lbs...... that's not size... but I guess when they say size they mean his physical play... i guess... but when he was drafted physical play was listed one of his weakness...

i'm confused as hell, no one knows what kind of player he is....

tsn says he's a physical player.

sportsnet listed his skating and phyiscal play as his weakness.... i don't know wtf.

crappy draft none the matter.

http://thehockeywriters.com/brock-boeser-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

6'1 and 192 lbs is good size for an 18yr old.

His skating is good but his first step is average, much like Horvat.

He has some awesome skill if you care to do some research.

Love this pick. Studied his videos and scouting reports leading up to the draft and he was the forward (along with Guryanov) I wanted most at 23. Of course never expected Merkley to be there and I would have been happy with either tbh. Not a huge fan of Konecny, too many flags (size, play style, concussions) and not elite production.

Boeser has all the tools, has top end production in a solid league, and has been among the top goal scorers at the Ivan Hlinka and U18 tourneys. Anyone who thinks this guy is "low ceiling" has no clue at all. In 2-3 years this guy could be our own Max Pacioretty. And worrying about him doing 4 years and leaving as a UFA? FFS, a CHLer can re-enter the draft in only 2. This kid will not be at ND in for years. He's 1-2 and done for sure.

Great pick, part of a very solid draft overall for us, despite the limited number of picks for us. Hopefully we hold on to all our 2016 picks and add a few more at the TDL next season. We need to go in with 10-11 picks like Calgary did this year, then you can start moving up in the draft or dealing for guys like Hamilton. Just wasn't possible with so few picks this year.

skill and size? he's listed as 6'0 and 190lbs...... that's not size... but I guess when they say size they mean his physical play... i guess... but when he was drafted physical play was listed one of his weakness...

i'm confused as hell, no one knows what kind of player he is....

tsn says he's a physical player.

sportsnet listed his skating and phyiscal play as his weakness.... i don't know wtf.

crappy draft none the matter.

Benning said he is a goal scorer.

Boeser and Crouse scored the most goals at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He was tied for 2nd in scoring.

He had more points than Barzal, Marner, Strome, Konecny, Zboril, Harkins, Crouse, Merkley.....

http://hlinkamemorial.com/eng/statistiky.asp?sezona=2014&filtrtym=&filtrpost=OU&order1=uspesnost&order2=body&limit=ne

Edited by stanleysteamersmyl

USHL has become a respectable league in the past dozen years and is represented by some very good players.

From LucBoudon on HF Boards...

Kyle Okposo, Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty, John Carlson, Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Matt Carle, Alex Chiasson, Justin Faulk, John Gibson, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Goligoski, Matt Greene, Martin Hanzal, Seth Jones, Rostislav Klesla, Dylan Larkin*, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Matt Nieto, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Saad, Jaden Schwartz, Paul Stastny, Mark Stuart, Jared Tinordi, Jacob Trouba, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Wiercoch, Jimmy Hayes, Blake Wheeler

Okposo: 27G 50GP

Gagner: 11G 56GP

Pacioretty: 21G 60GP

Abdelkader: 27G 60GP

Backes: 28G 57 GP

Chiasson: 17G 57GP

Girgensons: 24G 49GP

Hanzal: 4G 19GP

J.T. Miller: 3G 21GP

Nieto: 14G 21GP

Saad: 12G 24GP

Oshie: 3G 11GP

Schwartz: 33G 60GP

Stastny: 30G 56GP

Vanek: 46G 53GP

Hayes: 4G 21GP

Wheeler: 19G 58GP

Boeser is in some very good company. Only Vanek scored more goals, and he is an elite level sniper.

He could very well be our Okposo, who is the player he emulates.

This was a very good pick, people.

A lot of those guys weren't drafted out of the USHL but rather played draft -1 seasons there. They went on to CHL or NCAA where the competition is better and thus it is easier to judge the talent, as was my point. Like I said next year will be most insightful to really judge his potential.

As far as statistical comparables, Canucks Army has players in the same statistical cohort making the NHL between 25.0-33.1% of the time. And the projection project (which uses NHL Equivalencies), puts his success rate at 46% (success by both measures is playing 200 NHL games) and of those successful players most are 2nd or 3rd liners.

http://www.theprojectionproject.com/Home/Search

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/16/nation-network-prospect-profiles-33-brock-boeser

Edited by baumerman77

He looks to be a good prospect and a good draft pick. I just don't know if he is what this franchise needs going forward. I am suspect of USHL players typically because of the competition level they are exposed to. Had he put up those #'s in the CHL I would feel a lot better about him as a 1st round pick

Just because Lucic was willing to waive for vancouver doesn't mean Benning went hard after him, he probably only inquired about him.

Kylington and Roy aren't even that impressive in terms of talent when you compare them to a guy like Boeser.

Benning is trying to create a TEAM here not just a bunch of skilled individuals. So for us to have a team we need players that can play well together, that's why when he makes his picks they are for players that will fit the team build. Hard working, big and strong players.

Benning said he went hard after him, wanted to bring him home!

This kid is has a crazy release on his shot.

Benning said he is a goal scorer.

That does seem to be his skill and projection -- goal-scoring. Not only a great shot and release, but he gets himself into open space and positioning to take the shot. Fortunately we have three young centers that will be able to feed him. That he has character, a developing 200' game, and decent size is all gravy in the package.

Great pick, part of a very solid draft overall for us, despite the limited number of picks for us. Hopefully we hold on to all our 2016 picks and add a few more at the TDL next season. We need to go in with 10-11 picks like Calgary did this year, then you can start moving up in the draft or dealing for guys like Hamilton. Just wasn't possible with so few picks this year.

With no Bieksa deal yet, I'm expecting to see quite a number of picks acquired. Depending on what else Benning does over the summer, this could well be a regression year, especially if a lot of youth are brought in and the other divisional teams improve. If that's the case, the TDL could set us up with a nice stash of gold to hit the draft with.

Edited by swift4grizz

A lot of those guys weren't drafted out of the USHL but rather played draft -1 seasons there. They went on to CHL or NCAA where the competition is better and thus it is easier to judge the talent, as was my point. Like I said next year will be most insightful to really judge his potential.

As far as statistical comparables, Canucks Army has players in the same statistical cohort making the NHL between 25.0-33.1% of the time. And the projection project (which uses NHL Equivalencies), puts his success rate at 46% (success by both measures is playing 200 NHL games) and of those successful players most are 2nd or 3rd liners.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/16/nation-network-prospect-profiles-33-brock-boeser

Actually Okposo, Pacioretty, Schwartz... to name a few were all drafted out of USHL.

CA also says that the small cohort and Boeser's higher boxcars compared to those in the cohort leads to a significant underrating of his potential by PCS (currently 27%). Simply put, they don't have a proper range of analogues to compare him to.

And this is the same model that predicted Bo Horvat had a 24% chance of making the NHL in his draft year. He's now at 84% (and more realistically, he's as sure a thing as they come to be a 2C at minimum). Either that 57% jump in Bo's PCS is because the methodology is pretty poor, or his improvement is due to "intangibles" and Benning is drafting the right way.

All of these guys played in the USHL during their draft year exactly like Boeser, except Vanek who played his pre-draft but was still 18 (was drafted at 19) and Wheeler who played his draft+1 at 19:

DxGcKJO.png

• Upvote 3

All of these guys played in the USHL during their draft year exactly like Boeser, except Vanek who played his pre-draft but was still 18 (was drafted at 19) and Wheeler who played his draft+1 at 19:

DxGcKJO.png

impressive list... here's hoping he emulates them in the future. That would be extremely sweet :)

Excited to see more of him, he was one of the 3 guys I wanted but not the number 1 guy I wanted. I have a soft spot for RWers who shoot Right. Him and Virtanen could make for a good one two punch on that right side. With Kass and Grenier crashing and banging in the bottom 6. Dream big am I right?

http://thehockeywriters.com/brock-boeser-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

6'1 and 192 lbs is good size for an 18yr old.

His skating is good but his first step is average, much like Horvat.

He has some awesome skill if you care to do some research.

Yeah by the time he gets up to speed in a good program like North Dakota he could easily be 200-205. Kid looks like he has a good frame on him.

Looks like a good pick and could well prove to be BPA, but we definitely do not need more RW despite what some are saying. Leaving older players like Burrows, Dorsett and Hansen out of the discussion, we still have Kassian, Virtanen, Grenier and Jensen. We are deeper at RW than any other position, even C.

Looks like a good pick and could well prove to be BPA, but we definitely do not need more RW despite what some are saying. Leaving older players like Burrows, Dorsett and Hansen out of the discussion, we still have Kassian, Virtanen, Grenier and Jensen. We are deeper at RW than any other position, even C.

Grenier may never make the show and Jensen is still struggling to be consistent in Utica. RW was by far our biggest hole at forward.