The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In order to get something good, you have to give up something good

Pete M

JB definitely has not made a splash yet in the draft...

Canucks need two good defencemen in order to compete with the other Western teams; but who does he give up to get that someone?

Let's face it...to get a high draft pick, JB has to trade someone with upside and value (for example, Kesler deal included a 1st and 3rd round pick).

To think that JB can off load veterans who are on the down slide and with big contracts for picks, I say is not too realistic thinking..

We may have to endure another season of Bieksa, and Weber, and Sbisa's inconsistency, if nothing is done to the D core.

If Miller can't play better than he did last year, then that albatross around the neck will only get heavier for JB.

Are there players in Utica that are NHL ready that can out perform Bieksa and Weber? Even Hamhuis is starting to lose a step as the years go bye. Is Sanguinetti that guy who will be given a chance or will the veterans still rule in 2015/16

If he gives up Kassian for picks, then the Canucks will have lost Matthais and Kassian.

I believe Matthais has upside and will get better...JB is making a mistake if he lets Matthais walk.

If he lets Matthais walk, then Matthais needs to be replaced with someone better; Is Grenier better than Matthais...time will tell.

Who does JB have to give to get better?

The same Shawn Mathais who disappeared in the playoffs? Or the softy Mathias? Or the same dude who can't score against the west?

Shawn Mathais is made for the Eastern Conf. Let someone overpay for a dude who just broke out at the age of 27.

The only albatross around Benning's neck is the imaginary one that crybabies and near-sighted fans fashion for him.

You realize that the draft still has 6 more rounds? And that trades will likely ramp up on Monday and Tuesday pre-FA? And that further trades can be made before the regular season starts?

This ain't Christmas morn when Santa won't be back for another year.

The only albatross around Benning's neck is the imaginary one that crybabies and near-sighted fans fashion for him.

You realize that the draft still has 6 more rounds? And that trades will likely ramp up on Monday and Tuesday pre-FA? And that further trades can be made before the regular season starts?

This ain't Christmas morn when Santa won't be back for another year.

So you think the Miller trade was brilliant... ignorance isn't always bless Sherlock

The same Shawn Mathais who disappeared in the playoffs? Or the softy Mathias? Or the same dude who can't score against the west?

Shawn Mathais is made for the Eastern Conf. Let someone overpay for a dude who just broke out at the age of 27.

But, but, we coulda depleted an injured roster even more during a playoff drive for a 45-90 overall pick.

So you think the Miller trade was brilliant... ignorance isn't always bless Sherlock

No I didn't think the Miller trade was brilliant, Holmes. But yay! for you for jumping to assumptions.

Your initial post was all over the map so it's hardly a focus for concise discussion.

But Vancouver didn't win the Cup today so Benning's apparently a bust. Have at it.

No I didn't think the Miller trade was brilliant, Holmes. But yay! for you for jumping to assumptions.

Your initial post was all over the map so it's hardly a focus for concise discussion.

But Vancouver didn't win the Cup today so Benning's apparently a bust. Have at it.

Well you certainly came off as though you thought it was brilliant by name calling...

You just demonstrated ignorance, since Miller was never traded here. Unless you're referring to when he was traded to St. Louis which would be completely random.

Pardon my ignorance...the Miller signing and contract

Yes the deadline is when we can get full value. Listen, the only guys we have that teams will actually pony up some first rounders are Edler and Hamhuis. No, I dont want to give up any of our young prospects, especially with all the development time we are now placing on them. Be realistic and enjoy the rest of the Sedin years, and by the time they retire, I will post all of these hate benning threads and say how about them apples

Our forwards are pretty deep, I think considering its been 3 solid years of drafting now. We are thin on defence, but who knows what Sanguinetti, clendening, corrado or hutton can do yet? D-men never show themselves until age 25 or so. We are excellent in goal. I think this is a great improvement even after that tortorella season.

You cant tear down the house because we have so few valued players on our team, understand Benning's position here.

Yes the deadline is when we can get full value. Listen, the only guys we have that teams will actually pony up some first rounders are Edler and Hamhuis. No, I dont want to give up any of our young prospects, especially with all the development time we are now placing on them. Be realistic and enjoy the rest of the Sedin years, and by the time they retire, I will post all of these hate benning threads and say how about them apples

Our forwards are pretty deep, I think considering its been 3 solid years of drafting now. We are thin on defence, but who knows what Sanguinetti, clendening, corrado or hutton can do yet? D-men never show themselves until age 25 or so. We are excellent in goal. I think this is a great improvement even after that tortorella season.

You cant tear down the house because we have so few valued players on our team, understand Benning's position here.

Thanks! At least someone in here who's sober :)

We will never get good value for guys if we don't trade them at the deadline

It is true that best time to acquire picks is at the deadline. If we look at the transactions it is clear that Matthias would have been worth at least a second rounder, maybe a second and third, or possibly even a first.

Picks are usually undervalued at the deadline.

But they are overvalued at the draft. It is very difficult to get decent value for picks right before the draft.

The Canucks need more good young players. The draft is by far the most important way of acquiring good young players. Benning might be able to pick one or two 2016 picks through trades over the summer, pick up one or two more at the deadline next year, and we are likely to get a high first rounder as there is no way the Canucks are making the playoffs next year given what LA, Edmonton, and Calgary did today. And Anaheim is not going away either.

It is true that best time to acquire picks is at the deadline. If we look at the transactions it is clear that Matthias would have been worth at least a second rounder, maybe a second and third, or possibly even a first.

Picks are usually undervalued at the deadline.

But they are overvalued at the draft. It is very difficult to get decent value for picks right before the draft.

The Canucks need more good young players. The draft is by far the most important way of acquiring good young players. Benning might be able to pick one or two 2016 picks through trades over the summer, pick up one or two more at the deadline next year, and we are likely to get a high first rounder as there is no way the Canucks are making the playoffs next year given what LA, Edmonton, and Calgary did today. And Anaheim is not going away either.

Yes that is exactly the conundrum. During the deadline teams are throwing away first rounders for very little because some think they can contend for the title. At the draft, teams basically want you to pull up with a Brinks truck and open the vault just for one lol. That is why I am thinking if we are out of contention by the deadline, we have a couple good players who can fetch 1st round picks. With these extra first rounders, we can move up in an already deep 2016 draft. Have faith in Benning yet, I see the 2016 draft year to be his ultimate coup-de-grace.

Yes that is exactly the conundrum. During the deadline teams are throwing away first rounders for very little because some think they can contend for the title. At the draft, teams basically want you to pull up with a Brinks truck and open the vault just for one lol. That is why I am thinking if we are out of contention by the deadline, we have a couple good players who can fetch 1st round picks. With these extra first rounders, we can move up in an already deep 2016 draft. Have faith in Benning yet, I see the 2016 draft year to be his ultimate coup-de-grace.

Edler is an option too. He's a #2 defender, still in his prime, signed to a fantastic contract for many more years. Hes worth a top 10 pick on his own to the right team, easily.

The teams that are throwing around first rounders are generally the teams picking in the 20-30 range...

Didn't Calgary just show us how you DONT have to give up assets to get something really good...? That all you need for a potential franchise d-man is a few picks?

Not really. Definitely a pretty big to huge outlier there. Boston went full potato. then baked the potato with those draft choices and weird stage antics.

Archived