The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

On June 28, 2015 at 7:59 PM, JamesB said:

Me neither. But I don't like going a single and striking out anyway, which is what I think will happen here. This pick makes no sense. The rating services have him way below where the Canucks took him. Team that go "off the board" to this extent almost always underperform.

Edited by Gstank29

47 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

It's sad that some people will look at his performance and scream "his numbers are only inflated by the Q and we should have drafted someone else!" instead of "Holy $&!# look at how our fourth round pick is doing!"

playing 3rd/2nd line and 2nd pp

• Upvote 1

0:17 couldve had an assist there
3:05 couldve scored there
5:08 shift starts
5:35 couldve had an assist
6:12 couldve had an assist there too
7:05 pp asssist
8:33 had a good look there
9:24 out in front again for a good scoring chance!

game highlight couple of nights ago

had a good 1st and 2nd. had a lot of scoring chances for himself and set numerous for others but just lacked finishes. at the same time, he spent quite a lot of time imo in his own zone.

from my speculation, his biggest deficiency is endurance. he just looks tired near the end of the shift and most of 3rd periods. It's also another possible reason he's not on their penalty kill unit despite his good two way game.

things i hope for him to improve more as his endurance increases are more tenacity/hungry with speed for the puck as he's got a knack for lose pucks

Edited by ihaveyuidonttouchme
  • Upvote 2

Went through some game sheets and was pleasantly surprised to see that Zhukenov's been averaging around two hits per game through the month of December (often leading his team in this category) and seems to have really picked up his physical game compared to earlier this season.

Similarly, he's been winning close to 55% on faceoffs over the past month (putting him over  50% for the season) and, after shooting only around 5% his first month, has now posted a shooting percentage  over 20% for both November and December .

Seems like he's turned a corner and has really settled into the North American game.

It should be fun to watch where he goes from here and how he finishes out this season.

• Upvote 4

I actually really like Zhukenov. I think he has a good chance to be a piece of our future core in a Hansen-type role. He won't be in a top-6 role. That doesn't mean he won't be a great player for us. 

We should not be putting too much weight into his stats. His defensive awareness, anticipation and hockey IQ should translate well into the NHL. That's what we need from an effective bottom-6 forward. His skating, strength and shot can be worked on and improved easily. 

If he puts up points then great, if he doesn't then that's fine too, as that's not important for his future role with us. 

Gaunce - Cassels - Zhukenov 

That could be a great future 3rd line. It's a great mix of defensive awareness and offensive ability. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Went through some game sheets and was pleasantly surprised to see that Zhukenov's been averaging around two hits per game through the month of December (often leading his team in this category) and seems to have really picked up his physical game compared to earlier this season.

Similarly, he's been winning close to 55% on faceoffs over the past month (putting him over  50% for the season) and, after shooting only around 5% his first month, has now posted a shooting percentage  over 20% for both November and December .

Seems like he's turned a corner and has really settled into the North American game.

It should be fun to watch where he goes from here and how he finishes out this season.

Absolutely, and hopefully he really finds a groove in his all around game as well as sparking things offensively.

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Another assist tonight, +3, 8/17 FO, and 3 hits -- tied for tops on the team.  Lil guy has some feistiness to him.

Benning compared him to Datsyuk early in his career, but Datsyuk has never been known to hit.

He reminds me more of Brendan Gallagher.

12 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I actually think the Q is a great league to transition from big ice. It's a smaller ice surface yet there is still lots of room. I think it is much better than going straight to the AHL. Doing good for a late pick. 

Yeha, it's much better for him to be in junior developing while he's still physically developing.  you can tell by looking at him he has a lot of growing left.  It's awesome to see him improve every week this year!

• 2 weeks later...