The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Keep in mind in the "Q" the top tens scoring leaders range from 65 pts to 43 pts. Zhukenov has 22 pts in 26 games he's 5th in scoring on his own team.

First year in a new country with being coached in a new language. First year on NA ice dimensions. First year playing a different style of game. 

Plus...he's physically immature and a project. 

These are good results. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Keep in mind in the "Q" the top tens scoring leaders range from 65 pts to 43 pts. Zhukenov has 22 pts in 26 games he's 5th in scoring on his own team.

and as always keep in mind... there is something to be negaative about here.

2 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

and as always keep in mind... there is something to be negaative about here.

Don't you get sick of posts that suggest we continuously have this stream of great propspects just around the corner but in fact when compared to other is the same position they're just a tad above average. There was a book with the title "Great Exapectations" seems like many take it literally. If there's some thing to say....great ....as long as it stands up to scrutiny. Dreams are for bed time :)

37 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Don't you get sick of posts that suggest we continuously have this stream of great propspects just around the corner but in fact when compared to other is the same position they're just a tad above average. There was a book with the title "Great Exapectations" seems like many take it literally. If there's some thing to say....great ....as long as it stands up to scrutiny. Dreams are for bed time :)

I think you're missing the point of the prospect pages...

44 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Pros should be judged alongside their own peers not fall in line with posters dreams...I don't understand  why we mix dreams and abilities

Zhukenov is not a pro. 

Really, your statement is about your own expectations. Did you anticipate better production than this? Is it a disappointment to you? It isn't to me. Based on the challenges I believed he would face he has acclimated as well I could have expected. 

Each prospect should be viewed independently from others as there are many variables and factors to consider in each path. Zhukenov is no one else but himself and he's progressing. Saying he will fail, or is currently, because others have in the past is nonsense. Most prospects don't make the NHL and the odds are stacked against him, however this first couple of dozen games in certainly a step forward. Thats all you can ask. 

If you're a person who has paid close attention to hockey development in the past then you'd acknowledge that these are solid results from a kid drafted in the 4th round 5 months ago. 

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Zhukenov is not a pro.

Really, your statement is about your own expectations. Did you anticipate better production than this? Is it a disappointment to you? It isn't to me. Based on the challenges I believed he would face he has acclimated as well I could have expected.

Each prospect should be viewed independently from others as there are many variables and factors to consider in each path. Zhukenov is no one else but himself and he's progressing. Saying he will fail, or is currently, because others have in the past is nonsense. Most prospects don't maje the NHL and the odds are stacked against him, however this first couple of dozen games in certainly a step forward. Thats all you can ask.

If you're a person who has paid close attention to hockey development in the past then you'd acknowledge that these are solid results from a kid drafted in the 4th round 5 months ago.

Sorry my bad I meant to say Players...my bad. They should be judged by their peers performance. If you look at the"Q" top performers he's well down the list this is the site I use for a quick ref   http://www.hockeydb.com/scoreboard/

I am so far from writing Zhukenov off, but at the same time his numbers are nothing to get excited about. Timashov is the high-risk Russian (well he is Ukranian) player I was hoping for with that pick. 51 points in 28 games in the Q.

I was anticipating an 80 point season for Zhuke. 

41 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sorry my bad I meant to say Players...my bad. They should be judged by their peers performance. If you look at the"Q" top performers he's well down the list this is the site I use for a quick ref   http://www.hockeydb.com/scoreboard/

That's an extremely superficial analysis though. Define what 'peer' means. That can be interpreted in different ways. You can't compare a 114th overall pick to a top 40 pick, for example.

He is tied for 66th in league scoring but he's 8th in rookie scoring and only a few points behind being top 5. He's also outproducing many players taken ahead of him from the Q in the same draft who don't have those other factors I cited to contend with. 

Either way you look at it, to judge his production harshly after 27 games in NA is to be on the wrong side of objectivity. He's acquiting himself just fine. He's doing as well as an organization could hope for. You might want to adjust your expectations a bit. 

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I am so far from writing Zhukenov off, but at the same time his numbers are nothing to get excited about. Timashov is the high-risk Russian (well he is Ukranian) player I was hoping for with that pick. 51 points in 28 games in the Q.

I was anticipating an 80 point season for Zhuke. 

Geez, I would hope so. 

It's only been 27 games. 

• Upvote 1