The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Trinec (the team holding Jašek's contract) is still in the Extraliga playoffs. Their current quarterfinal series is scheduled to run late into March. The next round would be April, on so on.

Assuming they don't release Jašek until they're done playing (which is almost guaranteed), there probably isn't much chance of there being a window for him to play for the Comets this season (and that's assuming they'd even let him go early--more likely they just run out the contact).

Yeah, although if their season is done there is no real reason to hold him to the rest of the contract.  Worst case you'd figure, the Canucks could just buy out the rest or such to get his release.

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

Pretty sure his current contract runs through June and he likely will not be allowed by his current team to sign a new one before that if the past is any indication. 

On 3/6/2017 at 6:27 PM, Beary Sweet said:

I believe he has to get a entry level deal signed first before he can become pro.

That sux

Thanks Guys and Gals

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

how's this kid progressing? will he be coming over to north america anytime soon? 

He's coming off a pretty good season. At least as far as one can tell without watching him play.

Based on his numbers, he was probably the best player under-20 in WSM Liga (Czech second tier men's pro) and has been dominant at the Czech U20 level. Also looked good in the games at the WJC. Has showed significant progress in becoming a more complete player.

He'll hopefully be signed to an ELC this summer and be in Utica for the 2017-18 season. He should probably spend a full season or two in Utica before taking the next step to the NHL (if he develops).

Hopefully we'll get an early look at him this summer at development camp and Youngstars Tournament (his Czech club's scheduling has kept him out of the tourney in the past).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Another game, another two points for Jasek. This time a pair of apples. Brings him to 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points in two playoff games with Trinec's U20 team.

Seems to be stepping up in the playoffs, will be fun to see how he looks in Utica next year!

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He's just left a second tier men's team and joined a U20. He routinely puts up two points per game at this junior level.

Not saying it isn't impressive. Just context.

True but he is only 19. When your that young its hard enough to play against men and put up any points. Playing with kids his own age and doing well shows he's a step further ahead then others. Just have to wait and see for when he's over here, see wether or not he can compete against others his age and older in the AHL.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

True but he is only 19. When your that young its hard enough to play against men and put up any points. Playing with kids his own age and doing well shows he's a step further ahead then others. Just have to wait and see for when he's over here, see wether or not he can compete against others his age and older in the AHL.

No doubt. He was probably the best among his age group in WSM Liga and is a dominant player at the U20 level.

I just meant to say that 2 point per game isn't really special for Jasek. It's what he's produced fairly consistently at the U20 level.

Still very impressive that he can dominate when playing against his peers. But also what you hope for, and kind of expect to see, if he's to have any chance at becoming an NHLer.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt. He was probably the best among his age group in WSM Liga and is a dominant player at the U20 level.

I just meant to say that 2 point per game isn't really special for Jasek. It's what he's produced fairly consistently at the U20 level.

Still very impressive that he can dominate when playing against his peers. But also what you hope for, and kind of expect to see, if he's to have any chance at becoming an NHLer.

Agreed, we just had mixed messages to each other haha

• Upvote 1

Actually that 5 point effort was the game on the 12th (5-2 win to take a 3-2 series lead). ^^

Jašek played again today, adding another 2 assists in a second 5-2 victory and helping Trinec win their series 4-2.

So now 11 points (4G, 7A) in 4 GP and moving on to the next round.

Originally looked at Elite Prospects and they hadn't updated with the game today.

EDIT: Make that 3 assists last game.

Original source I looked at had only 2 assists but a more official source has 3 (so either a change giving him credit for another helper or the first game sheet was just wrong)

So 12 points in 4GP and tied for ELJ playoff scoring lead! :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

Jašek's 11 points puts him 3rd overall and one point off the lead in the ELJ (Czech U20 league) playoff scoring race. But he joined these playoffs late and has played two fewer games than the guys ahead of him.

EDIT: Make that 12 points and tied for the playoff scoring lead (while playing 2 fewer games).

Jašek was credited with another assist last game that didn't show up on the game sheet I originally looked at.

• Upvote 4

Jasek is probably are most underrated prospect currently. The points he's putting up in the Czech league are astounding. With his size and skill he might be able to translate his offence to the AHL easily and be real gud in a year or two. Does anyone know how good defensively he is?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Jasek is probably are most underrated prospect currently. The points he's putting up in the Czech league are astounding. With his size and skill he might be able to translate his offence to the AHL easily and be real gud in a year or two. Does anyone know how good defensively he is?

I'd temper your expectations a little bit.  And hope that others seeing Jasek's gaudy numbers right now do the same.  I'll admit all I can do (like most of you) can stat watch as I don't watch Czech hockey, but there are still some things that people should think about.

The league he is currently ripping up right now is the Czech U20 league, which is probably around the same talent level as Jr. B or maybe Jr. A in Canada.  There are not a lot of top Czech prospects playing in this league as most (including Jasek for most of the year) have graduated to the Czech2 or Extraliga by the time they are 18/19.  There are very few players who have real NHL potential.  Jasek is a big fish in a tiny pond here.

What he did in the Czech2 league looks impressive, but I struggled a bit to find many solid Czech players who played an extended period in the league the past few years.  Most went from U20 to either the CHL or the Extraliga.  Filip Hronek played a few games in the league last season (but spent the majority in the Extraliga) and managed to get drafted in the 2nd round.  He's had a tremendous season in the OHL this year.

Also keep in mind Jasek put up 0 points in 16 games in the Extraliga this year.  It's not exactly a super talented league , with the top players in the league being guys who have either played their whole career there, had some decent KHL seasons, or had short and not overly successful stints in North America.  The leagues 2nd leading scorer Dominik Kubalik was a .5ppg player in the OHL as an 18 year old 3 seasons ago.  I'd say it is a pretty significant step-off from the SEL or the SM-Liiga in terms of talent as far as the Euro leagues go.

It really is a shame that he didn't manage to get over to the CHL, as that seems to be the course that the majority of the top Czech prospects are taking nowadays.  It really seems like the teams in the Extraliga do a poor job of developing good prospects.

Now I'm not saying Jasek is going to suck or anything, but it appears by his struggles to carve out a role for himself in the Extraliga this year that he is still a project (he even played less games in the 1st league than he did both last season and the season prior to that).  To expect him to come to NA next year and be a significant contributor for Utica might be asking too much.  I'm still intrigued by Jasek as a prospect however, as he was noticeable (albeit unspectacular) at the WJC and by the fact that he has taken such an unusual road in his development.

Edited by Jägermeister
  • Upvote 1

I accidently put this in the Dahlen thread, but i'll put it here now ::D

I think it's absolutely imperative to get him signed this summer and bring him to Utica. He has nothing left to prove in the tier 2 league and would be much better off playing in the AHL than in the Czech tier 1 league. Out of all the prospects we can sign and bring over this summer, he might be my highest priority. 

I want to see what type of player he becomes in Utica. Mainly whether he can find a way for his scoring to translate or become an effective bottom 6 player. I think he is capable of playing either role based on what I've heard in the past about his speed. But I really want him coming over and learning the game over here. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I accidently put this in the Dahlen thread, but i'll put it here now ::D

I think it's absolutely imperative to get him signed this summer and bring him to Utica. He has nothing left to prove in the tier 2 league and would be much better off playing in the AHL than in the Czech tier 1 league. Out of all the prospects we can sign and bring over this summer, he might be my highest priority. 

I want to see what type of player he becomes in Utica. Mainly whether he can find a way for his scoring to translate or become an effective bottom 6 player. I think he is capable of playing either role based on what I've heard in the past about his speed. But I really want him coming over and learning the game over here. 

I really hope that you are happy if it does happen, but I don't think that he is good enough to play in the AHL if we're being honest here.  0 points in 16 games in ExtraLiga would be equivalent to getting -10 points in the AHL ;)

@Jägermeister: lots of good points and much that I agree with. ^^^

I try to throw a little water on things from time to time in here as well.

But mostly I've just been trying to keep up with the stats, and adding a little colour commentary when Jašek does something of note (like a 5 point night in U20 or tallying the most PIM in WSM Liga playoffs).

The problem with Jašek is he's extremely tough to project. His Extraliga numbers are not good. His WSM Liga numbers are quite good. And his ELJ (U20) numbers are off the charts. What does that all mean?

Generally speaking, a guy with Jašek's lower level numbers would produce better Extraliga numbers. When you look at other players with similar stats at lower levels, they tend to post at least fairly respectable Extraliga numbers as well. Some of this comes down to the team Jašek is on, as Trinec appears to not favour giving quality opportunities to their U20s (at least over the past decade or so).

I also think Jašek's slight frame comes into effect. He has peers that have similar or lesser WSM Liga numbers who manage to produce much better than he does in Extraliga. Many of them seem to have more of a "man's body" than Jašek. Do they get better opportunities? Hard to say. But Jašek's inability to earn quality minutes or post numbers at that level is a concern.

That said, when you look at league equivalencies, Jasek's WSM Liga production this season works out to around 20-25 points in the NHL (over an 82 game season) And depending on whose calculations you use, WSM Liga has an NHLe range that's actually similar to Allsvenskan. So Jasek being nearly a point per game at that level gives some reason for optimism (since some NHLe calcs would value his production similar to Dahlén's this season, although others would say Dahlén's points are worth around 150% of Jašek's)

It's pretty tough to predict was he's going to become. I doubt there are any current NHL players that would come up as close statistical matches (in cohort modelling) to Jašek today. I can't think of any player that's taken this kind of route to the NHL. That doesn't mean it can't happen, just not much to work with in terms of comparables.

I strongly agree that the CHL would have been the ideal route for Jašek after he was drafted. But unfortunately, Trinec consistently blocked this option.

So we wait for the Czech contract to run out and then hopefully an ELC with Vancouver follows. And at long last, we'll get a chance to see this kid play some hockey that gives us something tangible to base our predictions on. Until then, who knows.

But at least the kid is improving (based on his WSM Liga numbers) and rounding out his game (based on what we saw at the WJC). 

He's still very much a project though. He'll definitely need to get stronger, at least based on the vitals we see listed for him. And NA pro is a serious adjustment (which time in the CHL could have mitigated but that ship already sailed). I think he remains a boom/bust prospect and a little bit of an enigma.

I'm very interested to see what we get when he finally comes over. But I'm not expecting much. I won't be surprised if he washes out. But then again, I won't necessarily be surprised if he eventually cracks the NHL and becomes a pretty decent player.

• Upvote 3