The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

30 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Happy to see him scoring now at the second tier level. Better for him to develop that part of his game as much as possible, seeing as we know he will be put in a defensive role in the AHL.

Yeah, much as playing second tier hockey kind of makes him fly under the radar for people following him from Vancouver, it's really the best place for him (as his contractual obligations have prevented him playing in the CHL). U20 players rarely get real opportunities in the Extraliga unless they're absolute phenoms.

Czech rosters are pretty huge (by NHL standards anyway) and they also tend to favour veterans (think the worst kind of veteran preference we've seen from Willie and Green and then multiply it tenfold). The league has made attempts to address this and now has regulations that force Extraliga teams to carry young players, but old habits are hard to break, and lots of teams still appear to only do the minimum required (which means young guys barely see the ice).

At least on this loan to HC Frýdek-Místek, Jašek is playing a front line role and getting good minutes and opportunities. With Třinec (who historically--at least based on reviewing their rosters the past decade--have really been conservative with playing their U20s in Extraliga, even by Czech standards), he was barely seeing the ice and not really getting usage that allowed him much of an opportunity to shine.

EDIT: Further to the above, the fact that Jašek has even appeared in 60+ Extraliga games before age 20 should be seen a something that bodes well for his future (when compared to the average young Czech player). As does him being kept out of CHL import drafts by his Czech team (who refused Jašek's request and are choosing to hold onto him as long as their contractual rights allow).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos, small addition
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lukas Jasek with 3 assists today. He now has 25 points (8 goals and 17 assists) in 26 games.

He is on a 7-game point streak where he has 12 points (4 goals and 8 assists) in those 7 games.

That is good to hear, as he's come back from the world juniors playing a little more purposefully. I hoped that attitude wouldn't fizzle out right away.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, much as playing second tier hockey kind of makes him fly under the radar for people following him from Vancouver, it's really the best place for him (as his contractual obligations have prevented him playing in the CHL). U20 players rarely get real opportunities in the Extraliga unless they're absolute phenoms.

Czech rosters are pretty huge (by NHL standards anyway) and they also tend to favour veterans (think the worst kind of veteran preference we've seen from Willie and Green and then multiply it tenfold). The league has made attempts to address this and now has regulations that force Extraliga teams to carry young players, but old habits are hard to break, and lots of teams still appear to only do the minimum required (which means young guys barely see the ice).

At least on this loan to HC Frýdek-Místek, Jašek is playing a front line role and getting good minutes and opportunities. With Třinec (who historically--at least based on reviewing their rosters the past decade--have really been conservative with playing their U20s in Extraliga, even by Czech standards), he was barely seeing the ice and not really getting usage that allowed him much of an opportunity to shine.

EDIT: Further to the above, the fact that Jašek has even appeared in 60+ Extraliga games before age 20 should be seen a something that bodes well for his future (when compared to the average young Czech player). As does him being kept out of CHL import drafts by his Czech team (who refused Jašek's request and are choosing to hold onto him as long as their contractual rights allow).

I like the sound of this kid. Could be another hidden gem.

3 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

Any body know when the Czech season ends? Would be nice to bring him over to play some games in the A before the season is out. Give him the summer to adjust to life in North America

I think the Extraliga regular season ends sometime in March and their playoffs are in April. WSM Liga likely follows a similar schedule. I'll try looking for specifics later (unless somebody with the details beats me to it).

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the Extraliga regular season ends sometime in March and their playoffs are in April. WSM Liga likely follows a similar schedule. I'll try looking for specifics later (unless somebody with the details beats me to it).

From what I can ascertain with my limited ability to read the Czech language is that HC Frýdek-Místek has 5 games remaining before playoff. The Extraliga finishes March 3rd, then playoffs. Not sure what this will mean for Jasek, hopefully he can get out of his contract after his last game with HC Frýdek-Místek so he can come over to Utica. But with the way Trenic has handled him so far I going to assume we don't see him until next season

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

From what I can ascertain with my limited ability to read the Czech language is that HC Frýdek-Místek has 5 games remaining before playoff. The Extraliga finishes March 3rd, then playoffs. Not sure what this will mean for Jasek, hopefully he can get out of his contract after his last game with HC Frýdek-Místek so he can come over to Utica. But with the way Trenic has handled him so far I going to assume we don't see him until next season

Yeah, I can't see them softening their stance regarding his contractual status. So it'd likely be summer before those rights technically expire, by which time hockey will be finished both here and over there.

So probably next season's training camps is the earliest we see him.

I suppose summer prospects camp and Young Stars tourney are also possibilities.

Also, thanks for looking up those dates. I was just going off of what I could remember from previous Extraliga seasons.

But you're right that WSM Liga finishes their regular season soon. 52 game season. FRM's last game is February 13th.

Based on last year, WSM Liga playoffs run from late February into March. And then there are some "promotion" games that run into April (the top WSM Liga teams play versus bottom Extraliga teams to determine promotion and relegation between those leagues).

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bring him over on an AHL PTO if Comets still playing?

Jašek had gone pointless his last couple games and now sits with 26 points in 29 GP. One game remains in the WSM Liga regular season.

Looks like he'll finish the year as the top U20 scorer in that league (he's 7 points clear of the next U20 player).

Currently sits 15th in scoring among U24s, (and 2nd in points/game among the top-20 U24 scorers).

And he's 55th overall among all WSM Liga scorers (and top-10 in points/game among the league's top-60 scorers).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek had gone pointless his last couple games and now sits with 26 points in 29 GP. One game remains in the WSM Liga regular season.

Looks like he'll finish the year as the top U20 scorer in that league (he's 7 points clear of the next U20 player).

Currently sits 15th in scoring among U24s, (and 2nd in points/game among the top-20 U24 scorers).

And he's 55th overall among all WSM Liga scorers (and top-10 in points/game among the league's top-60 scorers).

Let's get him over here and on the .Comets.

• 3 weeks later...

So just checked up on Jašek's stats. Producing fairly well in WSM Liga playoffs. 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 GP. 

Ties him for 14th league wide playoff scoring (and 4th among U24 and 2nd among U20).

And then I saw him PIM line. 38 penalty minutes! In 6 games!

That's the most PIM in the entire league (during playoffs) and has to have involved a major incident.

What the heck did this kid do? Any Czech hockey fans know?

EDIT: looks like a game in the last series he got a "napadeni" penalty which translates directly as "attack" (not sure exactly what that means for a hockey infraction) and collected two unsportsmanlike penalties, a 10 and a 20, for the same play. Very curious on the details.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: looks like a game in the last series he got a "napadeni" penalty which translates directly as "attack" (not sure exactly what that means for a hockey infraction) and collected two unsportsmanlike penalties, a 10 and a 20, for the same play. Very curious on the details.

com.gif

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

• Upvote 2

It's really 4 points in 5.33 games, which increases his PPG. I wonder what that means for his advanced stats and hero charts :P::D

All jokes aside, I'm excited to see Jasek come over next year and see what he can do in North American pro hockey. Hopefully before this season's end, if his club lets him...