The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Just looking over the scorers sheet, Jasek was fourth amongst Czech forwards in ice time with 16:42, and had the second most TOI in the third. Interesting to see his coach trust him in defensive situations, he was also out during the final minute when the Finns pulled their goalie as well as being on the PK.

Hopefully he can use some of that creativity he displayed vs the Swiss and the Danes to put a couple points on the board since the Czechs will probably be in tough to score vs the top teams.

All good things to hear. From most reports Jasek has been in a tough situation with his club in Czech.  He is eligible to come over and play in the AHL next season, he and Zuke will be players to watch. 

Jasek could be a dark horse draft pick that completely flew under the radar. We can look to Trymakin and Forsling as fitting that mold in JB's first draft. 

For or a team in desperate need of youth, if Virtannen pans out, JB's first draft will go down as one of the best, if not the best in Club history.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

Jasek had a very good game today against Switzerland. His line was the best from Czechs in 3-4 overtime loss. I tracked even strength Corsi for players and here are the results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1smHtfyExIAz_0XhrdA0nwzkL-PgCRXNO0B5LeKTqqLI/pubchart?oid=1282300778&format=interactive

Best players in the upper right area - Kalina, Jasek, Chlapik and Zboril.

Edited by pmalina
  • Upvote 2

Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing Jasek in North America next season. He reminds me of Hansen a little bit; responsibly defensively, kills penalties, has a bit of grittiness and a spark to him, and has enough skill there that his offensive game could develop over time. His size is an issue right now, but he plays physical and if he can put on a bit more muscle it'll make his transition to the North American game easier.

Also, It'll be good for him to get a whole season playing consistently in Utica instead of bouncing between three teams in the Czech Republic.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing Jasek in North America next season. He reminds me of Hansen a little bit; responsibly defensively, kills penalties, has a bit of grittiness and a spark to him, and has enough skill there that his offensive game could develop over time. His size is an issue right now, but he plays physical and if he can put on a bit more muscle it'll make his transition to the North American game easier.

Also, It'll be good for him to get a whole season playing consistently in Utica instead of bouncing between three teams in the Czech Republic.

I was surprised he was as big as he was. Decent speed and as you pointed out defensively aware.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Canucks Army midterm prospects rankings: http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/17/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-11-12

Jašek clocks in at #12.

I'm gonna put this in a spoiler (originally just pasted the whole thing) so that it doesn't clutter up the thread too much.

Open below to read their full writeup:

#12 LUKAS JASEK  

jasek stats 

No player has the potential to surprise people next season more than Lukas Jasek. Jasek was a Canucks Army favourite at the time of his selection, but his stock, much like his ice time in the Czech Tier 1 league, has fallen precipitously since.

At the time he was selected, Jasek had an expected success percentage of 10% by pGPS, but midway through his third season of professional hockey, that number's fallen to just above 1%. Out of 58 statistically similar players, only one played over 200 games in the NHL, Petr Prucha.

lukas_jasek_cohort_720 

lukas_jasek_y2y_480 

For those of you that don't remember, Prucha was one of just six rookies since 2000 to score 30 goals. Unfortunately, he fizzled out from there, running into injury trouble and vanishing from public discourse, leaving his true potential a mystery. That's an oddly befitting match for Jasek, who's development has been both frustrating and confusing to track. 

Jasek played in four different leagues in his draft +1 season, and has played in three different leagues so far this season. His transaction record is a mishmash of call-ups, demotions, and loan-outs, which more than likely accounts for Jasek's unimpressive showing by pGPS. 

Jasek's unimpressive success percentage is heavily influenced by the small sample size of games he's played in the Czech league this season, and the dearth of ice-time he's received therein. Czech rosters are gigantic, sometimes over double the number of players you'd see in an NHL lineup, and it's notoriously difficult for young players to get playing time. 

Still, it's at least somewhat encouraging that his team in the Czech league saw enough in him to refuse to release him from his contract. Jasek, for what it's worth, intended to play in the CHL this season, as he told Canucks Army last summer:
 "I wanted to play in the CHL," Jasek told Canucks Army. "The Canucks wanted (that) also, to watch (me) play there". "I still have contractual obligations to HC Trinec for another season" Jasek continued "of course, I tried to persuade my general manager to allow (my participation in the Import Draft) but without success".

It's for all these reasons that Jasek could surprise fans next season. After two and a half years in the organization, we still have very little idea of what exactly the Canucks have in Jasek. If the Canucks elect to sign him, he'll be eligible to play in the AHL next season, where he'll help with the Comet's lack of talent at forward. It will also be his fourth year of pro hockey, which will give him the inside track on his fellow rookies.

My only chance to get a good look at Jasek was more than likely the same as everyone else's: at the 2017 World Juniors. Jasek failed to record a point in five games, but lead the team in shots, and was one of their better forwards. He was relied on heavily in the defensive zone, where Jasek held his own against some of the world's best players in his age group. 

At best, Jasek represents a massive long shot to make the NHL, but he's the rare case of being an actual high-risk high-reward prospect, given his talent level. We really won't have a good idea of his potential until he comes to North America, so until then, it's really anyone's guess.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

Looks like Jašek has been on a bit of a tear since returning to the WSM Liga after the world juniors. 4 points in his last two games (2G 2A) and now sits at 19 points in 22 games played.

He's now starting to run away with the U20 scoring in that league. He's ahead of the next U20 scorer by 4 points (and that guy's played 11 more games) and Jašek's points per game is significantly higher than any other player of a similar age (other than one guy who's only played 4 games).

What that all means in tough to say until he finally gets over here and hopefully is given the chance to measure his abilities against AHL level talent with the Comets next season.

The Canucks Army piece I linked earlier does a good job explaining how tough it is to find good comparables for Jašek's season.

But nonetheless, it's good to see him finally sitting alone out in front for scoring in his age group at the WSM Liga level and hitting a nice stride in that league after returning from international play.

• Upvote 3

On 1/19/2017 at 0:46 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like Jašek has been on a bit of a tear since returning to the WSM Liga after the world juniors. 4 points in his last two games (2G 2A) and now sits at 19 points in 22 games played.

He's now starting to run away with the U20 scoring in that league. He's ahead of the next U20 scorer by 4 points (and that guy's played 11 more games) and Jašek's points per game is significantly higher than any other player of a similar age (other than one guy who's only played 4 games).

What that all means in tough to say until he finally gets over here and hopefully is given the chance to measure his abilities against AHL level talent with the Comets next season.

The Canucks Army piece I linked earlier does a good job explaining how tough it is to find good comparables for Jašek's season.

But nonetheless, it's good to see him finally sitting alone out in front for scoring in his age group at the WSM Liga level and hitting a nice stride in that league after returning from international play.

The WJCs did Jasek a lot of good. It brought in more confidence and now he is producing in one of the toughest Czech leagues. Great to see from the kid

Jašek improves to 22 points (8G, 14A) in 25 games played in the WSM Liga this season.

Still scoring at a nice clip since returning from the WJC with 2 goals and one assist in his last three games (and 7 points in his last 5 GP).

EDIT: The latest Canucks Army prospects report puts Jašek's NHLe at 20.9 (so his current WSM Liga production is statistically equivalent to around 21 points over an 82 game NHL season).

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lukas Jasek with 3 assists today. He now has 25 points (8 goals and 17 assists) in 26 games.

He is on a 7-game point streak where he has 12 points (4 goals and 8 assists) in those 7 games.

Now that's the kind of thing I like to hear!

23 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Now that's the kind of thing I like to hear!

He's really turned it up since returning from the WJC. Appears to be far and away the best player in his age group in that league (although it's basically the Czech version of the AHL--the WSM Liga is second tier to the Extraliga).

So we still need to temper expectations somewhat until we see him on NA ice (hopefully signed and in Utica for 2017-18) but he definitely remains a legitimate prospect IMO and a player to watch next season.

Adding to his chances is the fact he fact that he seems to have improved his all around game. His minutes and usage during the WJC showed that he's a player that can be trusted in all situations. Really seems to have worked on his defense and how he approaches his play without the puck. 

And his WSM Liga production obviously highlights his offensive potential, especially as we've seen during the hot streak the last few weeks (although his points/game has been pretty respectable all season).

• Upvote 1