The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Game day! Jašek and 7th place Liberec are in tough today with an Extraliga contest versus 1st place Plzeñ.

http://hokej.cz/zapas/2524364

Jašek remains on the first line (per starting lineup) for this game.

Puck drop in about 15 minutes.

EDIT: game underway and still tied 0-0. Liberec really came out strong with a bunch of chances (including one by Jašek) but couldn’t score. Shots evened up as Plzeñ responded. 

Game over: 5-2 loss

Zeros across the board for Jašek. Had some chances but put them wide (as has been the case lately unfortunately). Finished with 15:31 TOI.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Major lineup juggling for Liberec today as they face HC Vítkovice Ridera.

Both of their talented young forwards (Jašek and Lakatoš) move to the 4th line with former Canuck Mário Bližňák.

Jašek also shifts to playing LW for this game.

Hard to say whether or not this is message sending for the slumping youngsters or more of that the coach is elevating his veterans as they’ve been contributing and helping the team win.

Maybe a bit of both?

But hopefully that new 4th line plays more than a standard Extraliga 4th line, or else this move will mean a serious reduction in icetime and opportunities for Jašek. 

Or maybe just a game or two of 4th line duties to wake up the two youngsters and try to get them going.

EDIT: 1st period done. 1-1 score. Nothing to report from Jašek other than seriously reduced minutes and no PP. :( 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Major lineup juggling for Liberec today as they face HC Vítkovice Ridera.

Both of their talented young forwards (Jašek and Lakatoš) move to the 4th line with former Canuck Mário Bližňák.

Jašek also shifts to playing LW for this game.

Hard to say whether or not this is message sending for the slumping youngsters or more of that the coach is elevating his veterans as they’ve been contributing and helping the team win.

Maybe a bit of both?

But hopefully that new 4th line plays more than a standard Extraliga 4th line, or else this move will mean a serious reduction in icetime and opportunities for Jašek. 

Or maybe just a game or two of 4th line duties to wake up the two youngsters and try to get them going.

EDIT: 1st period done. 1-1 score. Nothing to report from Jašek other than seriously reduced minutes and no PP. :( 

Eeeek, sounds like a bit of a slump for our friend. Hopefully he responds positively!

17 minutes ago, Guile said:

Eeeek, sounds like a bit of a slump for our friend. Hopefully he responds positively!

He’s been pretty snake bitten of late. Lots of chances put wide. And he hasn’t managed to translate several games worth of first line opportunities into much production. A shake up might not be the worst thing for him right now. So long as the 4th line usage is temporary.

He only played 7:46 today (and no points). That’s cutting his TOI nearly in half from what he’s played in recent weeks. And he only saw 22 seconds of PP time, compared to him often getting around 2 minutes a night.

Better minutes for Jašek today as he slots in as the third line LW for Liberec.

There’s been a fair amount of roster movement for Bílí Tygři in recent weeks, with some players moving up from WSM Liga, and a couple significant lineup additions (most notably Marek Kvapil coming over from the KHL).

So while I’d definitely prefer seeing Jašek as a fixture in the top-six, it’s still a good sign that, despite the roster additons, he’s still playing an important role and getting decent minutes (unlike recent NHL pick Lakatoš who just got demoted to WSM Liga).

I suspect that Jašek is a little similar to Gaunce in that his coaches still appreciate his effort and overall game, even when the puck isn’t going in for him (as has been the case of late). 

Finished with 10:43 TOI, no points, even, 1/2 faceoffs. Remains at 9 points (3G 6A) in 25 Extraliga games played.

Jašek played 9:37 TOI today at 3RW. No points. 2 shots on goal. 2/3 faceoffs. And 1:18 PPTOI as he saw time back on the 2nd unit power play.

4-3 OT victory for Liberec. This game was all about Bakoš (2G 2A) and Kvapil (1G 3A), who both played north of 22 minutes, and the first unit PP (all the goals came on special teams). 

21:35 TOI, 3 shots, 1/1 faceoffs for Jašek today in Liberec’s loss (1-0) to ZSC in their home leg of the CHL quarterfinals. The White Tigers will need a strong road game in the next leg if they hope to advance. Jašek earned first line duties for this game. Unfortunately, no detailed report from me this time as I didn’t have a chance to watch more than a few minutes here and there.

No points, 2 SOG, and a -1 for Jašek today in just over 9 minutes of icetime.

He remains stranded at 9 points through 28 games.

After some early production and various stints in Liberec’s top-6, Jašek is seeing his opportunities dry up this season. Liberec is going with a veteran heavy top-6 that often plays 45 minutes out of each 60. And the first unit is getting 75% of the PPTOI. So he’s left fighting for scraps right now.

Of course, the opportunities are there if he starts making more out of his limited minutes. But lately, he hasn’t really shown the ability to impose his will on the game, and at this level, you’d hope he could (if he’s going to show NHL grade talent).

He’s also been pretty snakebitten and when he does have good moments, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to see them through to the back of the net.

That all said, he remains effective on the checking line and works hard during limited minutes.

I’d just like to see him converting some chances because I’m pretty sure he could work his way back into top-6 minutes and some first unit PP looks if he was putting up points/minute numbers like he was during the beginning of this season.

Maybe a big game in leg#2 of the Champions League quarters will get him back on track offensively. Here’s hoping.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Game day. Extraliga contest. And pretty much the only action this morning for our European prospects. 

Bílí Tygři Liberec (11th place) faces HC Olomouc (7th place).

Game starts around 10am Vancouver time.

Jašek (#40) remains on the 3rd line at LW, alongside C Mário Bližňák and RW Jan Stránský.

EDIT: Liberec falls 4-1

Jašek again with no points.

He managed 2 SOG and stayed even through 8:33 TOI. His line played only around 5 minutes at even strength, but Jašek was given 2nd unit power play opportunities (he played 3:13 on the man advantage).

Jašek with no points in today’s CHL quarterfinal. He played 11:13 and didn’t register a shot on goal (team only had 14 SOG total). 1/1 on faceoffs.

I had to miss this game but sounds like a bit of a nail biter. Liberec entered down 0-1 on aggregate. They scored the necessary goal to tie things at 1-1, but needed the shootout to advance to the next round.

So it’s going to be Liberec vs Växjö in the semifinals and Pettersson vs Jašek.

Also will be the first time 2/4 semifinal teams are from the Czech league (as Trinec eliminated Brynäs to also advance).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Derp... said:

Czech league is getting a lot better. 

I’ve notice this as well. Not sure of the reasons why.

Possibly it’s at least in some part due to the Czech economy being very strong the last few years, so maybe owners are spending more on salaries.

Also, the folding of HC Lev Praha probably brought some talent back to Extraliga that might have otherwise remained in the KHL. And KHL “defections” by top Czech players appear to be down in recent years, so the talent pool isn’t getting diluted to the same degree (and less Czech players seem to be heading to other elite European leagues as well). Even seeing something of a reverse talent drain, with some players moving back from the KHL to Extraliga, which again signals the Czech league is getting stronger (and possibly, as mentioned earlier, offers better compensation than before).

We’ve also seen better results from the Czech youth programs and this has played out in a higher overall quality of players being produced in that system (as witnessed by better results at the NHL draft and in international competitions).

So lots of possible reasons. Not sure which ones are the most significant (or if I’ve missed the key factors entirely), but definitely nice to have a strong Czech league in Europe alongside the other elite leagues (all of which seem to be playing some very good hockey right now).

23 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek with no points in today’s CHL quarterfinal. He played 11:13 and didn’t register a shot on goal (team only had 14 SOG total). 1/1 on faceoffs.

I had to miss this game but sounds like a bit of a nail biter. Liberec entered down 0-1 on aggregate. They scored the necessary goal to tie things at 1-1, but needed the shootout to advance to the next round.

So it’s going to be Liberec vs Växjö in the semifinals and Pettersson vs Jašek.

Also will be the first time 2/4 semifinal teams are from the Czech league (as Trinec eliminated Brynäs to also advance).

If Jasek shuts down Pettersson, that could make him the next Cole Cassels!

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wouldn’t that make him better than Cassels? 

I mean, we all know Pettersson>McDavid, that’s a given. So shutting down Pettersson should mean Jašek>Cassels. ;) 

One could argue that Jasek is already better then Cassels, given how poor Cassels has been.

Jašek has been loaned to HC Benatky nad Jizerou of the WSM Liga (2nd tier Czech league).

He’s played one game so far. Didn’t score.

Much as I’d like to spin this somehow into a positive, it’s just not. Very disappointing.

You could kind of see the signs over the past few weeks as he remained mired in a slump and saw he icetime gradually reduced. He’s get the occasional chance to play up in the lineup or get some extra PP time, but the results just never came. After starting the season so strong, he’s struggled to score for weeks now. And with Liberec needing to fight for position, they need goals, and Jašek just wasn’t providing them.

OK, even though I said there wasn’t a silver lining, I will try to find one. Recently, Jašek’s teammate Lakatoš (the other young NHL drafted scoring forward) was also demoted to WSM Liga and he was quickly brought back up and today is playing on the first line for Liberec. So there’s the possibility that this is just a slump busting move and trying to shake Jašek out of his funk. Hopefully that’s the case. Because finishing the year in WSM Liga would be a real step back for Jašek, after being one of Liberec’s best scorers during the early part of this Extraliga season.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek has been loaned to HC Benatky nad Jizerou of the WSM Liga (2nd tier Czech league).

He’s played one game so far. Didn’t score.

Much as I’d like to spin this somehow into a positive, it’s just not. Very disappointing.

You could kind of see the signs over the past few weeks as he remained mired in a slump and saw he icetime gradually reduced. He’s get the occasional chance to play up in the lineup or get some extra PP time, but the results just never came. After starting the season so strong, he’s struggled to score for weeks now. And with Liberec needing to fight for position, they need goals, and Jašek just wasn’t providing them.

OK, even though I said there wasn’t a silver lining, I will try to find one. Recently, Jašek’s teammate Lakatoš (the other young NHL drafted scoring forward) was also demoted to WSM Liga and he was quickly brought back up and today is playing on the first line for Liberec. So there’s the possibility that this is just a slump busting move and trying to shake Jašek out of his funk. Hopefully that’s the case. Because finishing the year in WSM Liga would be a real step back for Jašek, after being one of Liberec’s best scorers during the early part of this Extraliga season.

SId, I wondered about Jasek getting 1st line minutes earlier in the season. Never saw him as a particularly offensive player. Thought he would have been broke in more as a defensive forward. He has decent size and skating with a touch of nasty. Has he sized up much? At 20 years old I am not worried.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

SId, I wondered about Jasek getting 1st line minutes earlier in the season. Never saw him as a particularly offensive player. Thought he would have been broke in more as a defensive forward. He has decent size and skating with a touch of nasty. Has he sized up much? At 20 years old I am not worried.  

I haven’t seen an updated weight for a while but he still looks pretty gangly and probably isn’t much more than 175-180 right now. Still baby faced too, which usually suggests a guy has some filling out left to do. He’s listed at 6’1” but seems maybe an inch taller.

As far as role, it’s been all over the map. He’s played all three forward positions and on every line from 1-4. Sometimes used in an offensive role and sometimes checking. He brings speed and energy and works hard through three zones most nights. Seems to get a lot of scoring chances when he does play offensive roles but has put too many pucks wide to count. Has gotten a fair amount of PP time over the season but really hasn’t managed to score enough, despite often getting really good looks. 

I’ve been a little surprised not to see him tried more as on the PK. His positioning is good, he has quick feet, good instincts, and he battles for pucks. Also is pretty good on draws. And could be a shorty threat with his speed. But the lack of PK minutes might just be a trust thing and also the fact that they have some veteran defensive forwards already available in the lineup.

I dunno. Obviously this season, just by virtue of his playing decent minutes in Extraliga (until recently) is a progression from last year and previous seasons, where he really never got much of a sniff at that level (outside of a few games where he’d play 5 minutes or so). I’d just hoped that he’d sustain something close to the points he was putting up early on, both in Extraliga and Champions League. But his production has really dried up, and so his opportunities have kinda followed suit. 

Still some time left this season. And maybe the stint in the lower league will help him get back on track offensively.

I think you’re right that he likely fits in as a more defensive forward or energy/effort player if he’s ever going to play for Vancouver. He does have good offensive tools though. But he needs to actually produce (and consistently) at the Extraliga level if he ever wants to show he has enough NHL upside for a contract.

Jašek back up with Liberec in Extraliga. Not much to report from his last game as he played under 5 minutes on the 4th line (technically was listed as the 3C) and didn’t score. Went 67% on faceoffs.

Main thing is he’s back in the top league, hopefully to stay. He can start working on earning back his minutes. 

On 12/22/2017 at 12:40 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek back up with Liberec in Extraliga. Not much to report from his last game as he played under 5 minutes on the 4th line (technically was listed as the 3C) and didn’t score. Went 67% on faceoffs.

Main thing is he’s back in the top league, hopefully to stay. He can start working on earning back his minutes. 

That is good to hear, he seems to do quite well on faceoffs. Is he signed in europe next year or any chance he comes over to utica?