The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sky is not falling, Canucks fans - Aaron Ward (Team1040)

Rush17

Damn, am I glad that Benning and Linden are driving this bus and not the bunch of 12 year olds that keep keep screaming "The sky is falling, sacrifice a goat quick and see if that will make it stop!!!"

I still think Benning will build us a beauty.

Should be mandatory listening to all the Chicken Littles and panty-soiler Canuck "fans" that have come out in droves to have a group pity party.

Pratt probably has zero idea who we even drafted. But it's all okay, because like Ward pointed out, they'll just revise history if proven wrong and pretend like they loved the draft should the picks work out.

Vancouver hockey media...ie......Cryptkeeper......Botchford..Pratt...Sekeres..Price etc..... love trolling for clickbait and traffic with negativity.

They're like our 4th man. So toxic....so negative that its like playing shorthanded.

Good to see Wardo calling these idiots out.

David Pratt is probably the biggest idiot in sports talk radio, nothing this guy says makes sense, I am not even sure he watches hockey with some of his opinions. Typical vancouver sportscaster.

The media here is just drumming up unnecessary hype around how "crappy" we did in the offseason. Give me a break with this. We overachieved last year by making the playoffs, the Sedins are still top 10 in the league. All we really need are some young guys to step up to the plate and give NHL minutes. I could care less about the trades that were made, every year you get a team who gets a big name and they already hype their stanley cup parade.

Be realistic, prospect building takes time, so does moving out veterans with NTC. Our only real weakness is on D, but every team will have holes to replace.

Like Ward said, these "knee-jerk" reactions are stupid. I have said all along that 2016 will be the year to truly judge Benning, we have our top picks, and loads of cap coming off in a stacked FA class. No patience=no knowledge of how a true rebuild goes. Compare our prospect pool to just before Benning was hired, you will see we are on the right track.

That interview did not end well for Aaron Ward... once he used that Jeff O'Neill comment, aye yai yai.

Agreed with the Bieksa point, veteran defenders like himself seem to have elevated value for teams going on post-season runs.

Hope we give Juice until the deadline and then sell him and the vets (Hammer, Higgins, Vrbata, maybe Burr?).

Gotta agree the sky isn't falling, though it's all based on perspective. Look at Boston? We came out pretty good.

Look at Calgary/ Colorado/ Buffalo/ Edmonton/ Islanders/ the Kings? Coulda done better.

At least they won a Stanley cup

For a first rate hockey market we have such a entitled over glorified set of pompous 'sports writers' covering our teams. With so many alternative media sites you'd think we'd have come up with a viable alternative feed by now.

I gave up listening to those blow hards years ago.

Trades are a big part of draft day but the thing is, it takes 2 to tango and if you have to depend on the other party to agree to the deal. For this reason, I cannot blame Benning for the trades. Wilson totally pulled the rug out from under the Bieksa deal. Zero % Bennings fault. It was disappointing what happened to the goaltender market on the Lack deal but when you consider that Benning picked up a good player in Briesbois who was ranked 48 by Bob McKenzie I can get over it. This is why he agreed to a lesser deal than he wanted. He still got a good player.

So when you factor out the things that Benning didn't have control over, I don't think you can call it a bad draft.

About what the Oilers, Flames and Kings have done.....a GM worth his salt can't go off and react to what other teams have or have not done. You have to stick to your plan as best as you can otherwise you find yourself chasing windmills.

Benning had a deal in place with San Jose, he decided not to take it.

This isn't about reacting, this is about choosing a direction and sticking with it. If the Canucks are truly committed to a rebuild, they should have shopped Edler at the draft also, not just Bieksa.

They want to try and get younger while still being a playoff team, but this team no longer has the talent to do this. I don't think people realized how much the Canucks over achieved last season, and how difficult it will be to replicate.

The series against Calgary proved that this team is a paper tiger, they aren't going to win anything meaningful with this group, so logic dictates that real sacrifices must be made, not just a backup goaltender for a 3rd round pick.

This isn't about reacting, this is about choosing a direction and sticking with it. If the Canucks are truly committed to a rebuild, they should have shopped Edler at the draft also, not just Bieksa.

They want to try and get younger while still being a playoff team, but this team no longer has the talent to do this. I don't think people realized how much the Canucks over achieved last season, and how difficult it will be to replicate.

The series against Calgary proved that this team is a paper tiger, they aren't going to win anything meaningful with this group, so logic dictates that real sacrifices must be made, not just a backup goaltender for a 3rd round pick.

The deal by all accounts was a 2015 2nd. Yes, Benning has said the 2016 draft will be deeper, so why not take the 2016 2nd for Bieksa after Wilson changed his mind? I think simply put, it's to not show weakness. You can't change a deal like that last minute like Wilson did and get away with it. Showing weakness to the other GM's may end up hurting Bennings ability to make trades down the road. If this is the way it went down, I applaud Benning for sticking to his guns.

I don't agree with Aaron Ward. Canucks didn't do very well in the draft, and they were unable to make the trades they needed to in order to get younger.

This doesn't mean that I agree with Pratt about this being the worst draft in terms history, but any fan that thinks the Canucks have a better shot at the playoffs than LA or Calgary is just plain delusional, sorry.

Lol I think Calgary takes a step back, overachieved bigtime, and LA last year stunk, they have question marks surrounding them too, Anaheim losing 2 more valuable pieces so far this summer, let's see what happens there, I think the Canucks get in again

Lol I think Calgary takes a step back, overachieved bigtime, and LA last year stunk, they have question marks surrounding them too, Anaheim losing 2 more valuable pieces so far this summer, let's see what happens there, I think the Canucks get in again

I think the Canucks scratch and claw to get into the playoffs but fall short. They somehow managed to overachieve in that regard last season.

I think Calgary takes at least one step forward next year, their defence is now disgustingly good.

LA didn't really stink last season, in fact they finished with the exact same record as they did when they won their first Stanley cup. They lost Voynov for the year and perhaps took their 'cruise through the regular season' attitude too far as well.

We agree, Anaheim has some question marks.

And let's not discount Edmonton either. They look like a pretty dangerous team now from top to bottom.

I think the Canucks scratch and claw to get into the playoffs but fall short. They somehow managed to overachieve in that regard last season.

I think Calgary takes at least one step forward next year, their defence is now disgustingly good.

LA didn't really stink last season, in fact they finished with the exact same record as they did when they won their first Stanley cup. They lost Voynov for the year and perhaps took their 'cruise through the regular season' attitude too far as well.

We agree, Anaheim has some question marks.

And let's not discount Edmonton either. They look like a pretty dangerous team now from top to bottom.

They do?? They barely have a defense group, and no proven #1 goaltender....

Edmonton is on the right track but "dangerous from top to bottom" is not how I would describe them ...

They do?? They barely have a defense group, and no proven #1 goaltender....

Edmonton is on the right track but "dangerous from top to bottom" is not how I would describe them ...

Appearances can be deceiving but it wouldn't shock me if they finally broke out. Chiarelli is no Kevin Lowe, he'll probably do even more to improve that defence before the season starts.

Appearances can be deceiving but it wouldn't shock me if they finally broke out. Chiarelli is no Kevin Lowe, he'll probably do even more to improve that defence before the season starts.

Sure, but that's banking on young guys finally reaching potential. On paper they are anything but a dangerous team from top to bottom. I also think people need to relax a bit on Calgary. They will struggle to maintain the same pace they had last season, and they don't know who is going to be in net for them next season yet either. Hamilton is still a year or two away from really realizing his potential. And like you said, teams are going to be still making a lot of changes starting tomorrow.

Sure, there was a deal, kind of. Benning thought that it was for a 2015 2nd, and when Wilson realized he could use that pick to trade up and get Roy, he pretended that the trade was for a 2016 2nd. Why on earth would Benning be wasting his precious time before the 2015 draft on something that had nothing to do with that draft? Doug Wilson is a disingenuous snake. Benning isn't the first GM he's messed with. You can't do business with a man who you know is being dishonest with you. Good for Benning for flushing the deal.

I am so glad that Benning got his revenge and moved Bieksa to a Sharks divisional rival, the Ducks. There is a God and He is just!

As for the plan, I agree, figure out a plan and stick to it. A lot of people don't like Bennings plan but he has to stick to it.

Aaron Ward is a blowhard and yet he just schooled D Pratt.

everything Ward said in that interview was bang on. I don't think the Canucks did great on draft weekend, mostly because there was no deal for a 2nd rounder but to call this the worst draft in franchise history is beyond comical. If absolutely none of the draft picks from this year ever play a single game, it would only be tied with two other draft years as the worst ever.

The cup isn't won on draft day, it's won about five years after draft day. And even then, it's usually won only after five years of being horrible and drafting in the top five.

Pratt and the rest of the Van media whip the listeners into a fury. Sadly, there is a huge chunk of the fan base with the same mentality that frankly doesn't need any whipping!

I didn't agree with 100% of Wards dialogue. But he was genuine when talking about how it's too early to grade. He really did lose me when talking about trading Edler. He's our #1 and I like him there. Maybe not a true #1 but he sure can be. Our priority should be finding a mate for him. Erhoff (again), I dunno but someone. FA probably is the worst thing we could dip into. Need that cash for next summer.

Overall. I loved how Aaron was obviously high on himself and delivered a wicked verbal beatdown, but not too much in the way of actual knowledge IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I did get his angle and appreciated it, but not sold on his remedies.

Aaron Ward may be a clown but he has a lot of common sense and he has played in the league and been around the league for a long time. The former Stanley Cup winner knows about what he speaks.

Bro Jake and Dave Pratt are fools and Ward is a good foil for them.

Archived