The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sky is not falling, Canucks fans - Aaron Ward (Team1040)

Rush17

That interview did not end well for Aaron Ward... once he used that Jeff O'Neill comment, aye yai yai.

Agreed with the Bieksa point, veteran defenders like himself seem to have elevated value for teams going on post-season runs.

Hope we give Juice until the deadline and then sell him and the vets (Hammer, Higgins, Vrbata, maybe Burr?).

Gotta agree the sky isn't falling, though it's all based on perspective. Look at Boston? We came out pretty good.

Look at Calgary/ Colorado/ Buffalo/ Edmonton/ Islanders/ the Kings? Coulda done better.

ward lit them up so hard! I like what he said about edler pretty much saying throw his name out there and see if someone will over pay for him. I'm pretty sure every players name is discussed between gms and that scenario has been played already

Great thread! Pratt and Jake with that canned laughter in the interview being discussed was intolerable. I remember when he DP used to take open calls he would cut people off and call them pinheads if they dare disagreed with him on stuff like Sundin possibly not working out in Vancouver and Bieksa not being traded before his last contract.

Because draft day is the only day trades are made!

Probably was the one and only chance to move Bieksa for any decent return. Can't flip him as a rental, he wants an extension in place where ever he goes...

That interview did not end well for Aaron Ward... once he used that Jeff O'Neill comment, aye yai yai.

Agreed with the Bieksa point, veteran defenders like himself seem to have elevated value for teams going on post-season runs.

Hope we give Juice until the deadline and then sell him and the vets (Hammer, Higgins, Vrbata, maybe Burr?).

Gotta agree the sky isn't falling, though it's all based on perspective. Look at Boston? We came out pretty good.

Look at Calgary/ Colorado/ Buffalo/ Edmonton/ Islanders/ the Kings? Coulda done better.

I agree. We really aren't in position to be big draft day spenders yet. There's no way we can compete with Calgary buffalo and Edmonton on the draft floor because we're still building our pool and working youth into the lineup. Our time will come to go get a Griffen Reinhart or Hamilton but we're just not there yet.

We could say not getting a second round pick made us the big loser but in reality we weren't getting one this year for Bieksa or lack. Nobody was willing to pay it so we got a late third for Eddie. I think we played this one smart, we managed to get a player we wanted for Eddie and hung on to Bieksa to maximize his value. Whether that's this offseason or next deadline, we hung on to the guy that we can probably get more for and traded the one that had to go.

In my opinion we Chris tanev'd this draft and quietly made the right decisions. I know it's too early to tell on this but here's the way I see it.

Baertschi > Rasmus Andersson

Markstrom's upside > Lack

Kb3 patience > knee Jerk trade that doesn't help us on draft day

Boeser, Brisbois, Zuke and the Czech kid are very interesting prospects. Initially I was underwhelmed but the more I thought about it the more I realized there wasn't much more we could have done. We're better suited as deadline sellers that draft day winners. It just wasn't going to happen no matter who our GM was.

Markstrom's upside > Lack

Kb3 patience > knee Jerk trade that doesn't help us on draft day

Yeah, I remember when the Canucks thought Kevin Weekes was the goalie of the future....

The Bieksa trade wasn't a knee jerk one, they were working on it for over a week. In order to trade him, Bieksa has to agree to the city AND get the team that receives him to give him a multi-year extension so....when you have a chance to get that done, it's probably a good idea to pull the trigger.

Yeah, I remember when the Canucks thought Kevin Weekes was the goalie of the future....

The Bieksa trade wasn't a knee jerk one, they were working on it for over a week. In order to trade him, Bieksa has to agree to the city AND get the team that receives him to give him a multi-year extension so....when you have a chance to get that done, it's probably a good idea to pull the trigger.

Not if you're not satisfied with the return. They wanted a second this year and couldn't get it. If San Jose wants to play hardball and other teams are interested then hold off.

And as for the weekes comment. I also remember schneiders first crack at the NHL didn't look too promising but we knew his potential and stuck with it.. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Jacob never makes it but it's a gamble I'm willing to roll the dice on. If Eddie was on say Cory's level I'd be pitch fork shopping right now but he's not.

Ward won a cup only because in 2006 you didn't need defense to win a cup. I think he should probably scratch an asterisk on his ring because of that. How is that relevant? I don't know. Why is what he or anyone else from that ban-worthy outfit says about what happens with this team relevant?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the team overacheived last season by making the playoffs, but on the same note, the team set out a goal to make the playoffs and they did. The Canucks will continue to try to make the playoffs every season because that's what the paying fans want to be entertained with. If they don't make the playoffs, then that will be entertaining too. There will be plenty of sports entertainment experiences for the fans to enjoy, win or lose, because that's what the Canucks are all about.

This is the exact quote Pratt said

"This organization had it's worst draft in it's history"

Lol, what the hell are you talking about? The year we drafted Patrick White? What the hell? The Kings problem last year was their DEFENSE? YOU KIDDING ME? Did you not see how slow they were?

Jesus Christ he's such an idiot.

All because we drafted a forward instead of a crappy D

Should be mandatory listening to all the Chicken Littles and panty-soiler Canuck "fans" that have come out in droves to have a group pity party.

Pratt probably has zero idea who we even drafted. But it's all okay, because like Ward pointed out, they'll just revise history if proven wrong and pretend like they loved the draft should the picks work out.

Should be mandatory listening to all the Chicken Littles and panty-soiler Canuck "fans" that have come out in droves to have a group pity party.

Pratt probably has zero idea who we even drafted. But it's all okay, because like Ward pointed out, they'll just revise history if proven wrong and pretend like they loved the draft should the picks work out.

You mean Wardo!!! High five!!!

I don't have much time for Pratt and Jake but whenever Ward is on the air he and Pratt do that back and forth schtick. Pratt just takes whatever side is the more obnoxious one.

The disappointment over the Bieksa deal is a funny thing... It seems like people simply want him gone rather than giving any thought to the return. We don't have a lot of legitimate chips to play, so I back Benning when he's trying to get what he can.

The sky is falling when you have a ageing core, legit dog poo of defence, and a group of unproven prospects (Aside from Horvat of course). Then there's the issue of getting defeated by the Calgary fricking Flames.. Who in turn get dougie Hamilton :(

re: Calgary Flames. You dismiss them as inferior team and get upset when the Canucks get beat by them. Part of the Canucks fan pattern of setting expectations based on your own (...) intuition and then having a tantrum when faced with reality. The reality in this case being that the Canucks were never a lock to win and Calgary isn't a bad team.

Damn, am I glad that Benning and Linden are driving this bus and not the bunch of 12 year olds that keep keep screaming "The sky is falling, sacrifice a goat quick and see if that will make it stop!!!"

Truth be known, the 12 year olds have no reason to be there yet. It's the veteran fans who are growing desperate enough to sacrifice a goat to see if it may help. The 12 year olds have no idea how bad it can get and how bad it was.

The Canucks have been the most successful team in the country for the past 20 years or so. Sure, that hasn't meant cup wins, but that may come one day.

Ward won a cup only because in 2006 you didn't need defense to win a cup. I think he should probably scratch an asterisk on his ring because of that. How is that relevant? I don't know. Why is what he or anyone else from that ban-worthy outfit says about what happens with this team relevant?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the team overacheived last season by making the playoffs, but on the same note, the team set out a goal to make the playoffs and they did. The Canucks will continue to try to make the playoffs every season because that's what the paying fans want to be entertained with. If they don't make the playoffs, then that will be entertaining too. There will be plenty of sports entertainment experiences for the fans to enjoy, win or lose, because that's what the Canucks are all about.

This is kind of Ban-TSN... But I'm still leery. Did you change your password and get your account back?

I don't agree with Aaron Ward. Canucks didn't do very well in the draft, and they were unable to make the trades they needed to in order to get younger.

This doesn't mean that I agree with Pratt about this being the worst draft in terms history, but any fan that thinks the Canucks have a better shot at the playoffs than LA or Calgary is just plain delusional, sorry.

Trades are a big part of draft day but the thing is, it takes 2 to tango and if you have to depend on the other party to agree to the deal. For this reason, I cannot blame Benning for the trades. Wilson totally pulled the rug out from under the Bieksa deal. Zero % Bennings fault. It was disappointing what happened to the goaltender market on the Lack deal but when you consider that Benning picked up a good player in Briesbois who was ranked 48 by Bob McKenzie I can get over it. This is why he agreed to a lesser deal than he wanted. He still got a good player.

So when you factor out the things that Benning didn't have control over, I don't think you can call it a bad draft.

About what the Oilers, Flames and Kings have done.....a GM worth his salt can't go off and react to what other teams have or have not done. You have to stick to your plan as best as you can otherwise you find yourself chasing windmills.

Archived