The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we in full rebuild. Or just clueless?

nitti999

I have to wonder what types of thread would pop up if we were tanking.

I'm not sure if the fans in this city can handle it. But that's just me. But you could be right.

Yeah, the #tanknation crowd will be ecstatic at first, but recall this place when we had that one HALF of a bad season under Torts. Think they'll put up with losing like that for long before they start crying, "This is so embarrassing -- Benning please, get us some proven players that know how to win. The young guys can't do it on their own."

Come on, the only bad trade is the Kassian trade. You are delusional if you think Bieska and Lack cold get anything more.

Terrible asset management.

Bieksa being in a contract year always steps it up - I feel he would've fetched us more at the deadline.

If that's all we get for Lack then we keep him and flush Markstrom who hasn't proven anything.

And don't even get me started on the Kassian deal. We get an older player with zero upside with a higher cap hit and still toss the Habs a 5th? Beyond BRUTAL!

I'm beginning to thing Benning was just brought in to firmly hammer this team into the ground. then we will hire a new GM to build us back up again.

When Benning came in he told us his plan

get younger

when young guys are ready give them a spot

retool the team

trade vets when you can

so far he HAS DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some fans are blind or ignorant towards Linden and Benning when so far they are doing EXACTLY what they said they would!

Terrible asset management.

Bieksa being in a contract year always steps it up - I feel he would've fetched us more at the deadline.

If that's all we get for Lack then we keep him and flush Markstrom who hasn't proven anything.

And don't even get me started on the Kassian deal. We get an older player with zero upside with a higher cap hit and still toss the Habs a 5th? Beyond BRUTAL!

I'm beginning to thing Benning was just brought in to firmly hammer this team into the ground. then we will hire a new GM to build us back up again.

Only to run the new guy out in one year again. By this trend no GMs would want to work for us and we will see this team heading to Quebec.

Bieska may not have steeped up and we need the roster spot and the cap so that trade have to happen yesterday.

JB wanted at least a third round pick and Markstrom is not going to get one. Markstrom would have fetched like a sixth round if Lack only went for an early third.

Kass deal was bad so no defending that. (This is really going to be judged on how Kass turn out in Montreal)

There's a plan...you're just an idiot

What is it then? I've gotta lean towards the OP on this one. If Benning has a plan, it's a short-sighted one. Benning's mouth says he wants to get younger but his actions say otherwise. So what does he want?

When Benning came in he told us his plan

get younger

when young guys are ready give them a spot

retool the team

trade vets when you can

so far he HAS DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some fans are blind or ignorant towards Linden and Benning when so far they are doing EXACTLY what they said they would!

Really because so far I've seen the opposite. Rather than giving young guys a a spot, he has traded them away. We traded Kassian and a draft for a veteran player who is older. We traded lack for draft picks (which is technically getting younger I guess, although the players we draft are statistically unlikely to become productive NHL players). The Bieksa deal is the only move this offseason that fits into the plan you've described.

Come on, the only bad trade is the Kassian trade. You are delusional if you think Bieska and Lack cold get anything more.

So Bruins getting a 1st for Martin Jones means nothing? Shows the incomptence of our fearless leader Benning. Demote him to chief scout and find a competant manager

What is it then? I've gotta lean towards the OP on this one. If Benning has a plan, it's a short-sighted one. Benning's mouth says he wants to get younger but his actions say otherwise. So what does he want?

You know there is waaaay waaay more to building a winning team then just acquiring youth right? There are many moving cogs. A player can be moved for any number of reasons, many of which I'm sure we don't understand. Prust can be moved for a pick at the deadline or moved in a package deal, who knows, but you can't just assume every single move a person makes is going to be geared towards a single goal, as there are many goals JB is trying to go after.

So Bruins getting a 1st for Martin Jones means nothing? Shows the incomptence of our fearless leader Benning. Demote him to chief scout and find a competant manager

Other team teams, in this case Wilson going dumbo and severally overpaid, may see him a number 1 but by all accounts, the rest of the nhl only saw Lack as a back up. Carolina acquire him to be a back up and not a number 1.

You know there is waaaay waaay more to building a winning team then just acquiring youth right? There are many moving cogs. A player can be moved for any number of reasons, many of which I'm sure we don't understand. Prust can be moved for a pick at the deadline or moved in a package deal, who knows, but you can't just assume every single move a person makes is going to be geared towards a single goal, as there are many goals JB is trying to go after.

And I'm saying going after many different goals is a problem, as now he's going in two opposite directions and when you chase too many goals you succeed at none of them. I bet Kassian could fetch a better pick than Prust can, also we gave away a pick in the trade. If the goal is get younger while remaining competitive, then we should be going after young players who have potential but are far enough along in their development that they can play now. These are the exact type of players Benning is now trading away. He appears to be doing things randomly at this point. He says he wants young players who can contribute soon (rather than raw prospects and picks) [Clendening, Baertschi] so he trades raw prospects and picks for these players. Then he says we now don't have enough draft picks, so he trades a young player who can contribute now (Lack) for draft picks. Then he goes and trades another young promising player (Kassian) AND a draft pick for an slightly overpaid vet.

Benning now has two opposing goals in a tug of war, and he's trying to have both of them win instead of having both sides run in the same direction.

I'm confident the Canucks can win the cup in a couple years, maybe not this upcoming season but in a few years . Well still be a playoff team next year but it likes were better off just tanking but I'd rather watch some playoff team without some key character guys in Lack, Bieksa and Kassian. Interesting to see how we do next season.

The only way this team is going to be a contender again is if they suck for a few years and benning does an above average job at accumulating the right asset. Calgary and edmontons failures are starting to pay off...if they had their current managers in place they would have turned it around even faster.

Embrace the losing folks..getting some elite talent via the draft will be the only way out.

Archived