The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we in full rebuild. Or just clueless?

nitti999

Haha maybe. Maybe JB and TL are in full realization that this team is in need of a rebuild but are trying to sweep that from under the nose of Aquillini to look competitive.

Year 1: Trade Garrison

Year 2: Trade Bieksa

Year 3: ???

Year 4: Stanley Cup.

Year 1: Keep the team competitive, prepare for transition

-Sign Vbrata and Miller as stop gaps for youth,

-Acquire more NHL ready player to speed up process (Clendening and Baertschi)

Year 2: Bring in more youth into the lineup (have them become impact players be year end)

-Move out some of old core to open up space (Bieska, Kassian....More to come?)

-Baertschi, Horvat, Vey, Markstrom, Corrado, Clendening, Virtanen?

Year 3: Move out more of old pieces/bring in more youth

-Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows, vbrata could be moved?

- Sign young UFA's that complement core (lucic? Seabrook?)

-Shinakruk, Cassels, Grenier, McCann, Gaunce all fighting for a stop

Year 4: Continue developing youth, have young player take over major roles on team

Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi move up into large spots on the team. Take over for the twins.

The sad thing is I love linden, but benning is making him look bad and he's going to drag linden's name through the mud once this ship starts sinking. All of this could have been avoided if they preached a rebuild instead of a retool to prepare the fans and lower expectations like toronto is finally doing. This retool is only going to prolong our run of mediocrity and make fans angry when this team starts losing cause casual fans expect winning with the message management is selling.

The sad thing is I love linden, but benning is making him look bad and he's going to drag linden's name through the mud once this ship starts sinking. All of this could have been avoided if they preached a rebuild instead of a retool to prepare the fans and lower expectations like toronto is finally doing. This retool is only going to prolong our run of mediocrity and make fans angry when this team starts losing cause casual fans expect winning with the message management is selling.

Couldn't have said it better! My thoughts exactly!

According to Sportsnet....we are a loser....

LOSER: Vancouver Canucks

Nothing good has really happened this off-season except for drafting Brock Boeser. Dealing Zack Kassian was just admitting a mistake. Still stuck in mushy middle.

TSN had a Segment calling us the loser of July 1 as well.

No point paying attention to Toronto media. They are still mad about how bad we beat them for 10 years and that they have a $50M coach :lol:

Yep...looks like a rebuild is in the works...

1355349099752.jpg

Yep...saw it coming.

1st year was Benning's assessment year...

This year was getting rid of dead-weight (the players who do a disappearing act in the play-offs).

Seen it before... Those guys who can't stand the suspense...well, get ready for some pain... Reminds me of the 80s. Gotta love it.

What is with this obsession with winning trades!!! A GM job is not to win trade but to do trades that make sense. Other team's GMs are not stupid who will get fooled by sweet talking. You don't always win trade and in the off chance you do, it is usually something unexpected that happens. You could only judge if a trade based on how well it accomplishes the goal a GM set out to do.

So we should be happy if we lose trades? Your on crack.

True, I'd settle for even value which is why I'm so pissed off.

The 5th rounder that we traded along with Kassian will eventually be 2nd/3rd come trade deadline if we flip Prust. If Benning thought that Kassian's work ethic was not up to par, then we dont want that to rub off to our up and coming youngins

True, I'd settle for even value which is why I'm so pissed off.

The 5th rounder that we traded along with Kassian will eventually be 2nd/3rd come trade deadline if we flip Prust. If Benning thought that Kassian's work ethic was not up to par, then we dont want that to rub off to our up and coming youngins

The only thing I can think of is JB is looking toward the 2016 draft and setting the team up to "unintentially" tank this season. He has gone on record as favouring the 2016 draft over the 2015. He has scouted for that draft and knows who he wants but this time, don't be surprised if it's a top 5 pick he's after. He's disguising this as a transition to youth to appease the fanbase here. He's doing EXACTLY what he said he was going to do when he got here. With the cap problems this year, he has the excuse that he couldn't spend to improve drastically. He KNOWS this will be a tough season and a learning season for our youth and it will likely mean a lottery pick in 2016. The thing is here, no one uses the word tank, especially him but that's what it'll be. I think he understands the Sedins are going to be gone soon and we need some young ELITE talent to take over. You can't trade for that or sign thru free agency, you have to earn the pick yourself by doing badly. JB can't say this to the public but the team is not being strengthened to compete this year. One or two years of this will do wonders for a turnaround, not to mention we'll be able to dip meaningfully into free agency next year and the year after with all the short contracts he's handing out. he is smart and I'm sure he has had this plan all along in order to replace the core of the team.

This also says a lot about Willie being a supposed players coach, or how we have so much leadership in the dressing room that we couldn't corral one bad apple in kass and make him a pro?

He was injured during the Calgary series, I have a hard time believing he would not have made a difference, since the ONLY player to actually fight was Juice LOL what a disgrace.

Canucks are all about leadership and growth, yea right, more like softness and charity work. I guess thats why the Hawks always made fun of us, bunch of chumps who get intimidated by teenagers. This team has no swagger, confidence or intimidation factor, which is why we will always be bullied out of the playoffs. At least Kass had some of that in him.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

I do not believe JIm Benning or Trevor Linden truly had a plan when it comes to this hockey team. They seem to be now scrambling to make decisions that don't really add up to a direction either.

Some may argue that they are planning a rebuild and unloading contracts for the future. And bringing in the young players to develop. If so.....

Why sign Miller to a 3 year 6 mil contract only to trade a young semi proven goalie and fan favorite in Lack To mentor Markstrom? Seriously Markstrom hasn't proven a thing at the Nhl level and was on the way out the door last year

Why trade Kassian for a 31 year old player?

Why sign Vrbata? He's not young and will be gone next year

Why keep the Sedins to age at 7mil cap space.

Why? Why? Why?

What has the regime done to improve this team moving forward. Sure he drafted Virtanen and couple other potentials. But so did every other team in the league.

Sad days for Canucks nation. At least we are having great weather

Vrbata = free signing, flip in last year or 2 for picks

Miller = free signing

Sedins = no trade clause and 14m salary,

Kassian = top 3 lines, no kassian = yes grenier or vert

Only have 50 contracts. To get another contract you must remove contracts.

The only thing I can think of is JB is looking toward the 2016 draft and setting the team up to "unintentially" tank this season. He has gone on record as favouring the 2016 draft over the 2015. He has scouted for that draft and knows who he wants but this time, don't be surprised if it's a top 5 pick he's after. He's disguising this as a transition to youth to appease the fanbase here. He's doing EXACTLY what he said he was going to do when he got here. With the cap problems this year, he has the excuse that he couldn't spend to improve drastically. He KNOWS this will be a tough season and a learning season for our youth and it will likely mean a lottery pick in 2016. The thing is here, no one uses the word tank, especially him but that's what it'll be. I think he understands the Sedins are going to be gone soon and we need some young ELITE talent to take over. You can't trade for that or sign thru free agency, you have to earn the pick yourself by doing badly. JB can't say this to the public but the team is not being strengthened to compete this year. One or two years of this will do wonders for a turnaround, not to mention we'll be able to dip meaningfully into free agency next year and the year after with all the short contracts he's handing out. he is smart and I'm sure he has had this plan all along in order to replace the core of the team.

The secret is that Benning is doing exactly what he says he's doing. There is no conspiracy going on here and nobody said this was going to be easy.

I do not believe JIm Benning or Trevor Linden truly had a plan when it comes to this hockey team. They seem to be now scrambling to make decisions that don't really add up to a direction either.

Some may argue that they are planning a rebuild and unloading contracts for the future. And bringing in the young players to develop. If so.....

Why sign Miller to a 3 year 6 mil contract only to trade a young semi proven goalie and fan favorite in Lack To mentor Markstrom? Seriously Markstrom hasn't proven a thing at the Nhl level and was on the way out the door last year

Why trade Kassian for a 31 year old player?

Why sign Vrbata? He's not young and will be gone next year

Why keep the Sedins to age at 7mil cap space.

Why? Why? Why?

What has the regime done to improve this team moving forward. Sure he drafted Virtanen and couple other potentials. But so did every other team in the league.

Sad days for Canucks nation. At least we are having great weather

What would you have done differently?

I &^@#ing hate armchair GM's. Get a clue, you have no idea what it takes to be a professional sports GM, you're just mad because we suck.

Stop crying, we suck, but it won't be like that forever.

Archived