The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we in full rebuild. Or just clueless?

nitti999

I do not believe JIm Benning or Trevor Linden truly had a plan when it comes to this hockey team. They seem to be now scrambling to make decisions that don't really add up to a direction either.

Some may argue that they are planning a rebuild and unloading contracts for the future. And bringing in the young players to develop. If so.....

Why sign Miller to a 3 year 6 mil contract only to trade a young semi proven goalie and fan favorite in Lack To mentor Markstrom? Seriously Markstrom hasn't proven a thing at the Nhl level and was on the way out the door last year

Why trade Kassian for a 31 year old player?

Why sign Vrbata? He's not young and will be gone next year

Why keep the Sedins to age at 7mil cap space.

Why? Why? Why?

What has the regime done to improve this team moving forward. Sure he drafted Virtanen and couple other potentials. But so did every other team in the league.

Sad days for Canucks nation. At least we are having great weather

Could always pay attention from when Jim Benning was hired and what he said he was going to do. Just a thought.

Ryan Miller was brought in because accept it or not he is the better goaltender the Canucks had. Yes Lack was a " fan favorite " but viewed League-wide as a backup. That may be hard for some to take but it's the truth, Lack is a backup, Markstrom has a higher potential.

Keep Miller ( veterans brought in to keep the Canucks in a winning atmosphere so as to bring the youht up in said atmosphere, why do people not understand this ? ). Move Lack and develop the best of the young netminders Vancouver has all while drafting a one day starter in Demko.

Vrbata, the twins had been seeking what only their entire career a winger who can score goals, well they got Vrbata, yes he played much of the year on other lines, but again he contributed to overall team success which was a goal of managements while bringing some younger guys along.

Bieksa trade, yes he was a heart and soul guy, would drop the gloves and a true team leader, he was moved for a top 60 pick next season and the team cleared 4.6m in cap space. His departure gives others an opportunity to earn a role in Vancouver moving forward, think Clendening, Corrado.

Lack trade, again a backup netminder fetched 66th overall which Vancouver used for a defenseman they really wanted in Brisebois.

Kassian was having major back issues which kept him out of the lineup and also rumoured some off-ice issues as well, so move him for a consistent physical heart and soul guy in Prust, what is the issue with this ? Kassian was never going to be playing top six minutes and we saw how he sulked about it last year. He had to move on. I bet he doesn't do all that much in Montreal as well.

Signed Matt Bartkowski, well if Clendening and Corrado are not able to step right in, there is a defenseman who yes had a disappointing year last season but the year prior was playing top four minutes. Bartkowski when on his game is physical, can produce and is a positive piece to the puzzle.

So why are we continually posting threads ripping the Canucks ? asking if there is any direction or if the team is clueless ? we were told as fans what the plan was, too many people don't listen and look around the Canucks. I don't really care if Calgary landed Hamilton, Los Angeles landed Lucic, the Canucks have players who can handle those mentioned and will likely be a Playoff team again this year, while possibly having a couple youngsters in the lineup.

The plan is in place, CDCers just focus on whats going on around them or feel Canucks assets should be worth primary prospects and solid picks lol.

If you throw bias out the window and really step back and look at the big picture.

1. These are minor moves.

2. We are building depth where we need it.

3. We are in a state of transition.

If you throw bias out the window and really step back and look at the big picture.

1. These are minor moves.

2. We are building depth where we need it.

3. We are in a state of transition.

Agreed. By this time next year, we'll be in a different position and the moves Benning and co made the past couple days will be the reason for that. They have faith in next year's draft and we'll have the room to shop.

Matthais, Kassian and Richardson are gone and we now have Prust,

This line was, at times, Canuck's best line...

Who is now going to score for the Canucks...the second line last year was non existent and the third line at times was the best line and are now all gone...who is going to be the secondary scoring...

Prust, Dorsett, Higgins, Hansen, Bonino, Burrows...who is going to score???

Baert, Horvat, Vrbata may be our secondary scoring...but we lost size and strength and are these players enough?

The Kassian trade and letting Matthais go is a fail for Benning.

Agreed. By this time next year, we'll be in a different position and the moves Benning and co made the past couple days will be the reason for that. They have faith in next year's draft and we'll have the room to shop.

By this time next year canucks would look like a really different team. We will be a team that will be starting on the upswing.

Depending on how their development goes we could have:

a legit second line in - Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

a young improving top 4 - Tanev, Edler, Clendening, Corrado

an exciting star goalie - Markstrom

add to the fact that we will have a ton of cap space

more young prospects pushing for a roster spot - Cassels, McCann, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Pedan, Grenier

a fairly decent draft - especially if we move out more vets for picks (higgins, Hansen, Vbrata, Hamhuis)

it's not all doom and gloom, unless you are betting the bank on next year. Next year we will be in the hunt for a spot and likely finish 6th-11th.

Today Benning said he believes we are still a playoff team... So I have no clue where we are headed, but I'm sure its towards a top 10 draft pick.

Problem is if they say we are not a playoff team or going full rebuild, everyone will be calling to cancel their season tickets. We should know now that management lie all the time. This is a business first and a hockey team second. You can't win without dough.

Everyone is so impatient. They want a full demolition immediately. But we have cap space next year and a ton of options. We have 5 players on expiring contracts who can be moved. In the meantime they're a measuring stick to push our young guys esp on D. If a Corrado and Clendening outperform a Bartkowski and Weber, we can trade them. If we're clearly out of a playoff spot by the deadline then trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and Prust for picks and prospects.

I think the plan is to be competitive and have our young guys grow. We don't want to create a Taylor Hall, Phil Kessel environment of entitlement by trading away the Sedins, Burrows, etc when it doesn't make sense. We want Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Corrado, Clendening and Markstrom to legit earn their spots. I guess we're so used to wanting entitled young players make the team no matter what like with Hodgson and Kassian that we don't know what proper development looks like.

The plan is already underway but just too many are too stupid to see it.

We all know the Sedins are arguably the two best forwards this team has ever had.

Having said that, I find it unsettling that they are OK with playing out their careers in Vancouver, where the chances of winning a playoff series in the next five years are very low. They've put in their time, and deserve to choose where they want to finish their career, but I find it somewhat disheartening that they aren't really hungry to win.

Even Ray Bourque went to another team to chase down a Stanley Cup, but Henrik and Daniel don't seem to be interested in winning a championship.

That's why I want the Canucks to trade as many leftovers from 2011 as possible. They are older guys who prefer to have a reasonably comfortable life playing in a nice city like Vancouver. They don't have the hunger, the internal desire to do what it takes to win the tough games.

We would all like to believe that they are competitive athletes at heart, but years of big $$$ and the toll time takes on the body naturally changes their priorities.

Man we lost that trade today big time. Alls that we got was a 31 year old hockey player. I heard we were looking for a 24 year old cokehead to clean the toilet seats at the rog with his nose. Fack! Can't Benning do anything right? MORE COKEHeDZ for the LTIR :D

I didn't like the Lack trade at all, it was a serious underpayment for Lack especially when Lehner was worth a 1st round pick. Tthe Kassian trade I can live with but throwing in a 5th round pick when you are trying to obtain picks for next year was an overpayment. The moves on defense will help the team, going forward even though I hated to see Bieksa dealt but I wouldn't be happy to see him walk away as an UFA either. Hopefully the 2nd round pick will get us a quality prospect to replace one of the guys getting promoted this coming season.

You can't churn the whole roster in one season so the plan is to get the players some playoff experience and get younger, faster with each passing year.

Let's face it, the team got exposed by Calgary as well as LA last year so you just can't keep coming up with excuses, you have to make unpopular decisions that are good for the team long-term. Yes it riles a few feathers when you trade a fan favorite but it also gets fans upset when you don't make moves and let players walk away with no return..

Archived