The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'I'm in charge here': Mountie shuts down family soccer game

nux4lyfe

Lol but I bet you'd still call them when you need them right?

And guess what, that's what the by-law says. Could more discretion have been used? Sure but at the end of the day nothing wrong occurred here. Go complain to the city.

Except it only applies to organized events does it not? A family game of soccer hardly qualifies as that.

Do you not see that there is a wide gap between a Bylaw officer doing her job, and say writing a ticket, vs an RCMP using their eminently more valuable time and resources to enforce it? That's where the disconnect is.

I agree that people should be more actively involved in their civil politics, that's where they can effect the most change in their lives, but this was NOT a matter for the police. Did it get violent? Not that the story says. Did they refuse to produce I.D.? Not that the story says. Absolutely no reason to involve the RCMP otherwise.

The police have a responsibility to not only enforce the 'easy' laws but to target the most important issues in their community and prioritize their allocation of available resources. If they cannot then we need to change their mandate when their contracts with local administrations come up for review.

I don't want my local police enforcing park bylaws, whether that be drinking, smoking, or soccer, but on crimes against persons or property that have malicious intent. Our police no longer investigate break and enters, stolen cars and, many times, assault if there is no weapon involved because they claim they don't have the resources to do so. They need to refocus their priorities and truly protect our communities.

Ditto.

I'm not sure where the line is on a crowd, but the bylaw officer's role is also to educate. Just say "Hey folks, I'm not here to break up your fun. But there's a bylaw, and if you're over x number of players, you need a permit. So just so you know next time. Have fun, and great passing!"

If you don't like the bylaw then go try to get it changed don't complain about a police officer enforcing it after they've been called. What do you expect the officer to show up and be like this bylaw is stupid whatever I'm leaving, No she will be reprimanded, suspended or fired. She didn`t create the bylaw; she tells them to go to their city council and complain about it get it changed. As far as I know all those people who create those bylaws are people the people of Surrey voted in. If the majority of Surrey wants this bylaw then that's too ???? bad for you, get a permit.

And as I alluded to in previous posts walk around a park and you can see the signs for the numbers to call to let bylaw officers know someone is breaking the rules. Someone called this in you can tell because she doesn`t care if they pick their cones and move to another field just across the street. They are doing their job stop being little bitches and complaining that they shouldn`t have done that its THE BYLAW it`s there job to ENFORCE it.

^^The clown that called the cops

Do you not see that there is a wide gap between a Bylaw officer doing her job, and say writing a ticket, vs an RCMP using their eminently more valuable time and resources to enforce it? That's where the disconnect is.

I agree that people should be more actively involved in their civil politics, that's where they can effect the most change in their lives, but this was NOT a matter for the police. Did it get violent? Not that the story says. Did they refuse to produce I.D.? Not that the story says. Absolutely no reason to involve the RCMP otherwise.

The police have a responsibility to not only enforce the 'easy' laws but to target the most important issues in their community and prioritize their allocation of available resources. If they cannot then we need to change their mandate when their contracts with local administrations come up for review.

I don't want my local police enforcing park bylaws, whether that be drinking, smoking, or soccer, but on crimes against persons or property that have malicious intent. Our police no longer investigate break and enters, stolen cars and, many times, assault if there is no weapon involved because they claim they don't have the resources to do so. They need to refocus their priorities and truly protect our communities.

Bylaw officers have no power to arrest, detain, etc. Bylaw officers will call local police to make sure things don't get out of hand, and keep the peace. The bylaw officer can't help it when someone puts in a complaint. But at the same time, I think discretion should have been used here. It was only 6 people, she could simply have observed, and not ticketed, or just let them know about the bylaw, and let them carry on with their fun.

As for by-law officers, you might want to talk with your local municipality as most ones have by-laws. Trust me the last thing the police want to do is help enforce a bylaw. Maybe if people were more responsible and stopped thinking they are entitled do what they want, including bothering others, creating disturbances, and in general making an arse of themselves, we wouldn't need by-laws.

Absolutely ridiculous. In this day and age, chasing off families outside enjoying an activity together goes against everything promoted in relation to health and wellness. Does the dumb cop not understand that parents supporting their kids by engaging in outdoor activities together are actually making THEIR jobs easier, as their kids aren't out wandering the streets getting into trouble?

My God this is pathetic and a huge waste of taxpayer money, with these two focusing their attention on this nonsense.

It's strange. I played football and soccer on many parks. I did not think a permit was needed. I thought that was only for sports events and such. Is this just a Surrey thing?

Why are people hating on the RCMP here? This was clearly a mistake by the Bylaw officer. The member was called by bylaws to deal with the (rightfully so) angry parents and to help enforce the call the bylaw officer made. The RCMP officer cant cut the legs off the bylaw member and say no, they have to enforce the laws/bylaws...

The hate here should be all on the bylaw officer, this was a poor judgement call. I know hating on the police is the trendy thing to do right now, but that one wasn't on her.

From the City of Surrey:

As many of you have commented, there is a video going around regarding an issue that arose in one of our parks last week. Please be assured that the City's Manager of Bylaws is looking into it and is taking the appropriate steps to address the situation.

We'd also like to reassure you that we encourage everyone to get out and play in our parks and a permit is not required unless you are an organized or semi-organized group who play on a regular basis. For example, if you had two teams with jerseys and cleats who play soccer every Thursday in a park, then we would ask that you get a permit. This is to maintain the quality of our fields and prevent overuse.

If you have any questions whether you require a permit, please contact our Sport Booking Hotline at 604.501.5174.

I am torn on this issue because I can see it both ways. I have played and been kicked off a field by somebody with a permit. I have also been on a field with a permit and have had people run through our field during practices and games and it gets frustrating. I'm not ok with the way the police officer handled it.

From the City of Surrey:

As many of you have commented, there is a video going around regarding an issue that arose in one of our parks last week. Please be assured that the City's Manager of Bylaws is looking into it and is taking the appropriate steps to address the situation.

We'd also like to reassure you that we encourage everyone to get out and play in our parks and a permit is not required unless you are an organized or semi-organized group who play on a regular basis. For example, if you had two teams with jerseys and cleats who play soccer every Thursday in a park, then we would ask that you get a permit. This is to maintain the quality of our fields and prevent overuse.

If you have any questions whether you require a permit, please contact our Sport Booking Hotline at 604.501.5174.

Yea like I said its about keeping the field quality good for the people who actually pay.

At the end of the day, it is part of the job requirement for both by-law officers and police to use their common sense and discretion when approaching a situation.

Clearly there was no victim from a family playing soccer with each other and the by law is for organized groups not for a family kicking a ball around in a park. This situation was handled rather poorly by the officers involved.

In a day and age where people are having more and more difficulty trusting and working with authorities, handling a situation like this in the way the officer did is only going to leave the family with a negative state of mind towards them. There are real criminals that Surrey needs to be expending their resources fighting, not families enjoying a sunny afternoon. Is this what the extra 100+ police officers for Surrey are for?

I see other articles where the city stated that they had received numerous complaints about that group, not just that day, but other days as well. The adults were reported to be swearing and aggressive to other park goers.

Bylaw officers don't just show up out of thin air... they usually respond to calls/complaints.

I see other articles where the city stated that they had received numerous complaints about that group, not just that day, but other days as well. The adults were reported to be swearing and aggressive to other park goers.

Bylaw officers don't just show up out of thin air... they usually respond to calls/complaints.

And once a complaint is made they are obligated to respond and enforce whatever laws/bylaws apply. If the law itself seems stupid and should be changed that is a job for law makers not law enforcers.

Not surprised really. I received a 'park after dark' fine just walking home. Which meant i had to go to surrey city hall and dispute it. It was only $50 but no way was i going to pay that. It was thrown out.

Archived