The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matthias signs in Toronto

As per TSN Notification

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Shawn Matthias to a one-year contract.

Matthias, 26, scored 18 goals and nine assists in 78 games with the Vancouver Canucks in 2014-15.

Originally selected in the second round (47th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft by the Detroit Red Wings, Matthias has scored 69 goals and 62 assists in 408 career games with the Canucks and Florida Panthers.

The Mississauga, Ont.-native just completed a two-year deal worth an average annual value of $1.75 million.

AAV = 2.3M

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-sign-matthias-to-one-year-deal-1.326414

Another one of the Canucks' wasted assets that someone picks up for free.

Should have traded him at the deadline for a pick for our...you know...rebuild.

Geez... Maybe we could have paid a 7th for Blair jones last year... Or a 4th for bartkowski.

Is everything with you a complaint?

Teams lose assets all the time. Every. single. team.

At the deadline we were making the playoffs so selling off everything wouldn't have made sense. How easy do you think it is to sell a bottom 6 guy whom every other team knows is going to be available in the open market? Why would anyone even give up a 7th rounder for someone they could get for free? Pull your head out of your arse.

He was presumed to be more valuable than a late pick since we were fighting for a spot in the playoffs. He faded & was inconsistent and wasnt that much of a help down the stretch. Thats why he got a one year deal with a total rebuild team in Toronto that is a real long shot to making the post season in 2016. No biggie.

sbisa gets 3 years and 700k/y raise - sign before playoffs, what a stud.

dorsett gets4 years and 650k/y raise on top of a 600k raise the year before - UNDERSIZED 4TH LINER LOCKEM UP.

matthias gets 1 year and 550k raise after more goals than both combined - NAAAAAAAAAH, peace.

I'm a little bit surprised he didnt get more + longer term. I suppose teams have been comparatively quite conservative so far this FA season, what with the cap not going up as much as expected and what not.

I'm a little bit surprised he didnt get more + longer term. I suppose teams have been comparatively quite conservative so far this FA season, what with the cap not going up as much as expected and what not.

dorsett gets4 years and 650k/y raise on top of a 600k raise the year before - UNDERSIZED 4TH LINER LOCKEM UP.

matthias gets 1 year and 550k raise after more goals than both combined - NAAAAAAAAAH, peace.

Yeah cause goals are the only way in the entire sport of hockey to quantify a players worth. Especially defensemen.

We needed him for our deep cup run silly head!

It's ignorant posts like these that I have a tough time sometimes letting go.

There is a clear and concise distinction between Sbisa/Dorsett and Matthias. I'll give you a hit, it's not points production. Dorsett and Sbisa brought it every single night, game in game out. They might have had some bad games here and there, but the effort and consistency of work ethic were there.

Matthias disappeared for games at a time, then woke up when he felt like playing, then disappeared again.

It's that kind of inconsistent work ethic that JB is trying to weed out of the team because it's infectious for the youth that is being brought into the fold.

What you don't understand, is this is again addition by subtraction. Last year we couldn't afford to trade Matthias despite his pending UFA status because we had no one ready to take his place, and we were closing in on the playoffs.

By letting Matthias walk, and retaining the likes of Sbisa and Dorsett, not only is a roster spot freed up, but whichever young player fills the void is going to have quality players surrounding him, and that's the example we need to set for the youth joining the big club.

It's ignorant posts like these that I have a tough time sometimes letting go.

There is a clear and concise distinction between Sbisa/Dorsett and Matthias. I'll give you a hit, it's not points production. Dorsett and Sbisa brought it every single night, game in game out. They might have had some bad games here and there, but the effort and consistency of work ethic were there.

Matthias disappeared for games at a time, then woke up when he felt like playing, then disappeared again.

It's that kind of inconsistent work ethic that JB is trying to weed out of the team because it's infectious for the youth that is being brought into the fold.

What you don't understand, is this is again addition by subtraction. Last year we couldn't afford to trade Matthias despite his pending UFA status because we had no one ready to take his place, and we were closing in on the playoffs.

By letting Matthias walk, and retaining the likes of Sbisa and Dorsett, not only is a roster spot freed up, but whichever young player fills the void is going to have quality players surrounding him, and that's the example we need to set for the youth joining the big club.

also weren't an insane number of Matthias goals scored on weak east opponents?

I'm shocked at the dollar value... I figured we let him walk because he was asking for 3.5 or something.

Anyways, all the best to him. Really liked him but it is what it is.

Good luck Shawn!

Archived