The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tonight's summer summit streamed online?

GM PLACE ROCKS

"It is not pretty clear that the Canucks are not a Cup contender and are unlikely to make the playoffs this year."

I think you have too many negatives in this sentence b/c as written it suggests that we might be a cup contender and few here believe that.

You are right. The first "not" should not be there. I have fixed it. It is easy to make typing mistakes and sticking in an extra "not" or leaving out a "not" does sort of change the meaning.

he would not of gotten a job is he had an unclear plan for the team. Sorry but its true.

Just because the public (and rest of league) is unclear what the plan is doesnt mean our management is going in blind.

I would just like to say, management is not obligated to make everything clear for the fans. Just like at work, upper management may tell you their plan and where they would like to head to for the future, but they don't point out the exact details for their plans, and its not their fault if you don't see/understand the plan.

BTW, not exactly directed to you, more in general to those that keep saying they don't see/understand 'the plan'.

Edit: yea what the guy above me said.

Agree with you guys that there is no rule that says management has to make their plans clear. However, season ticket holders and other fans still want to know.

It is kind of a trade-off -- like giving away information about injuries. It is usually a strategic advantage to keep information confidential. But people who are paying a lot of money for season tickets feel that they deserve to know what is going on.

I cannot criticize a GM who wants to play his cards close to his chest. But I cannot criticize fans who want to know what is going on and who want to ask tough questions.

And watching the whole process unfold is interesting.

benning and linden have already answered all those questions..trouble is, some people only hear what they want to hear...when they say benning made a mistake...they are really saying that in their opinion, he made a mistake...our opinions, don't mean that what he did was a mistake...

I could go on but I really do hope people actually ask him questions we would like answers to.

Fans feel they can demand accountability because they spent their allowance on a game ticket and foam puck hat once.

Y2k is all talk and no substance, he also suggested we rent a billboard in Burnaby to "voice our displeasure" about the recent moves Benning has made :rolleyes:

The vocal minority usually talks a big game but when pressed into action will fold like a cheap tent.

My question would be

"With the recent moves that you have made, why not also deal players like Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen, and Alex Burrows just to name a few? Keeping the likes of Vrbata and Hamhuis makes sense, even the moves you have recently made make sense, why are the other more veteran players still on the roster or will it be more of a yearly purge type thing?"

Pretty much everything else that I think of has been answered, so that would be the only question I ask.

My question would be

"With the recent moves that you have made, why not also deal players like Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen, and Alex Burrows just to name a few? Keeping the likes of Vrbata and Hamhuis makes sense, even the moves you have recently made make sense, why are the other more veteran players still on the roster or will it be more of a yearly purge type thing?"

Pretty much everything else that I think of has been answered, so that would be the only question I ask.

Well, we want to be a competitive team that competes for the playoffs every year. To be competitive in this league you need veteran guys that will show our young players how to prepare throughout the season. This is the goal: to develop our young players in a winning environment.

If a young player shows up to camp to really compete for a roster spot and impresses our staff - we will make room for that player.

-JB

Well, we want to be a competitive team that competes for the playoffs every year. To be competitive in this league you need veteran guys that will show our young players how to prepare throughout the season. This is the goal: to develop our young players in a winning environment.

If a young player shows up to camp to really compete for a roster spot and impresses our staff - we will make room for that player.

-JB

That's pretty much what I would expect, but hopefully he'd open up and give some juicy info. Other than that there isn't really much to ask them at this point.

The questions tonight will all consist of Lack, Bieksa, Kassian, Prust, and certain rookies.

Forgot the almighty "Why was Sbisa re-signed?" question

There is nothing wrong with the moves the new regime has made! Sbisa is not as terrible as people seem to think, Dorsett is really not that insanely over paid either for what he brings to the table! Plus if our young guys start stepping into the lineup regularly in the next few years, those contracts will look great especially with a rising cap. People should care more about JB trying to move out the likes of Burr, Higgy and Hamhuis. The only questionable move was Miller but even that makes a little sense as we had the space to do it and he was available. I really think it all boils down to waiting for the Sedin's to be gone, really great that they had some really good REGULAR seasons, however they don't perform when it really matters. As long as they are Canucks the team will never win anything :bigblush:

he would not of gotten a job is he had an unclear plan for the team. Sorry but its true.

Just because the public (and rest of league) is unclear what the plan is doesnt mean our management is going in blind.

Exactly this ^^^

From where I stand, I don't want Benning to lay out the road map. Why on earth would he publicly state his plans and advertise it to the rest of the league?

So far he has been decisive and had done a good job drafting skilled players with an edge. Even some of the smaller skilled guys he drafted this year all play with an edge (as per their scouting reports and play at the camp). He obviously wants players who are skilled and tough to play against. I have no problem with him simply accumulating assets at this point.

Jim, if the potentially inevitable happens and we draft top 3 what do you see the most important position to draft

Defense

Winger

Center

As you say you've scouted this draft heavily I am very interested to know which of the top 3 projected player positions you find more essential to the future health of this team

Archived