The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blockbuster Once Turned Down An Offer To Buy Netflix

SabreFan1

Worst.Business.Decision.ever..... (With maybe the exception of the whole AOL-Time Warner fiasco)

Former Blockbuster CEO, John Antioco, turned down an offer to buy Netflix in 2000 for $50 Million.

Of course the rest is history as Netflix went on to bankrupt and kill Blockbuster years later. Now Netflix is worth just shy of $33 Billion.

I still remember racking up all of those crazy Blockbuster late fees from returning the VHS tapes and then DVD's past their due date.

http://www.businessinsider.com/blockbuster-ceo-passed-up-chance-to-buy-netflix-for-50-million-2015-7

I wish I had invented plentyoffish.com

That just sold for $550 million.

Wow! I did not know that happened. A free dating website being sold for over half a Billion.

I wonder how long until buyers remorse sets in with that purchase.

Wow! I did not know that happened. A free dating website being sold for over half a Billion.

It won't. I'm sure the ad revenue alone makes in worth the price.

On a side note, good for the guy that created POF. The only reason he created it from what I hear was to boost his resume.

Never? Google is free to use, as is Facebook...are those companies un-profitable?

There are adverts everywhere, including POF...lots & lots of money still to be made.

Was Netflix online streaming in 2000? iirc didn't they use the mail to send and collect dvd's? I may be out to lunch on this one.

I may be wrong, but did video streaming even exist in 2000? I seem to recall the internet being a very slow place in 2000, youtube didn't even exist until '05 if I recall.

Worst.Business.Decision.ever..... (With maybe the exception of the whole AOL-Time Warner fiasco)

Former Blockbuster CEO, John Antioco, turned down an offer to buy Netflix in 2000 for $50 Million.

Of course the rest is history as Netflix went on to bankrupt and kill Blockbuster years later. Now Netflix is worth just shy of $33 Billion.

I still remember racking up all of those crazy Blockbuster late fees from returning the VHS tapes and then DVD's past their due date.

http://www.businessinsider.com/blockbuster-ceo-passed-up-chance-to-buy-netflix-for-50-million-2015-7

Yea but who would know if blockbuster would have turned it into what it is today. It's pretty unlikely.

Was Netflix online streaming in 2000? iirc didn't they use the mail to send and collect dvd's? I may be out to lunch on this one.

Today Netflix still has over 3 million US subscribers to its DVDs by mail service. They have been wanting to discontinue the service it but its just too profitable making almost $400 million dollars in 2014.

Its kinda like how AOL still has over 2 million dial up internet customers in the US. Im sure theres a heavy overlap going on there.

Yea but who would know if blockbuster would have turned it into what it is today. It's pretty unlikely.

Who knows? If they had brought Reed Hastings on board after the sale then Blockbuster would have become gigantic.

Archived