The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Ehrhoff would take 1-year deal, CBJ kicking tires.

He's already had offers from several teams. I highly doubt they're that low. In the end, he'll go to the highest bidder because right now he's waiting for another SC contender to offer him a contract. After his health problems and poor performance last year with a contender, he's going to be waiting for some time.

Columbus' offer was rumored to be around 2 mil. I'm pretty sure they are that low.

The fact that he didn't produce on the Penguins indicates that he's done to me.

Once again, he produced a pace for about 25 points despite suffering two concussions and adapting to a new team. That would've still been 2nd amongst Canucks D...the year before that he came 4th on Buffalo with 33 points (Hodgson led the team with 44). Those aren't bad numbers at all. Back on a Sedin PP he would put up 30+ no problem.

He's already had offers from several teams. I highly doubt they're that low. In the end, he'll go to the highest bidder because right now he's waiting for another SC contender to offer him a contract. After his health problems and poor performance last year with a contender, he's going to be waiting for some time.

With a one year show me deal,if he produces he would most likely get traded to a contender. That's how he should be looking at this...but he's not because he was always about the money.

• Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets still have an offer on the table for UFA defenseman Christian Ehrhoff. He has offers from at least a couple other teams as well. Ehrhoff’s camp is fine with one-year deal, but he’s looking for more money. He wants to play in the NHL.

Portzline createsa lineup of remaining UFAs.

F1: Curtis Glencross – Steppen Weiss – Daniel Briere

F2: Martin Havlat – Olli Jokinen – Michael Ryder

F3: Martin Erat – Tomas Fleischmann – Brenden Morrow

F4: Erik Cole – Marcel Goc – B.J. Crombeen

extras: Tyler Kennedy, Jiri Tlusty

D1: Christian Ehrhoff – Andrej Meszaros

D2: Jan Hejda – Cody Franson

D3: Tim Gleason – Marek Zidlicky

extra: John Erskine

G1: Josh Harding

G2: Jonas Gustavsson

G3: Ray Emery

That D is probably better than ours. Meszaros is another player I wouldn't mind on the cheap. Good puck mover, size (not super physical, Edlereqsue) and not horrible defensively. Very injury prone, but this is what would make him affordable. A healthy Meszaros would be under contract for 5 million right now. 1 year 1.5 would be great.

I doubt that. I bets he's just looking to play on any team at this point.

Doubt away, but he's still good enough to spend some cash on. He's just not going to find a buyer on a contending team. Injury prone and he's lost a step and a half.

With a one year show me deal,if he produces he would most likely get traded to a contender. That's how he should be looking at this...but he's not because he was always about the money.

He wants the cash on a contending team. He's going to have to choose one or the other this season. He's not getting both.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Once the Columbus deal became known and that he turned it down, it became blatantly obvious his intentions. I believe the skills are still there but the attitude is looking questionable. Probably why he still sits without a deal in place.

I wonder if GMJB would consider Gonchar-ing Ehrhoff. Pens' Rutherford wasn't GM for Gonchar's days as a Pen, but is bringing him in on a PTO.

If he wants to get a real look for how Ehrhoff is physically, how he looks with Edler, and how he interacts in the dressing room, this would be the opportunity.

Though Ehrhoff would probably take the rumoured CBJ 1 year/2M before signing a PTO...

I wonder if GMJB would consider Gonchar-ing Ehrhoff. Pens' Rutherford wasn't GM for Gonchar's days as a Pen, but is bringing him in on a PTO.

If he wants to get a real look for how Ehrhoff is physically, how he looks with Edler, and how he interacts in the dressing room, this would be the opportunity.

Though Ehrhoff would probably take the rumoured CBJ 1 year/2M before signing a PTO...

PTO...Interesting thought...

Edler, Ehrhoff

Hamhuis, Tanev

Sbisa/Bartowski,Corrado/Weber

...looks a HELL of a lot better than:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis...everybody else that's a 5-8 D

PTO...Interesting thought...

Edler, Ehrhoff

Hamhuis, Tanev

Sbisa/Bartowski,Corrado/Weber

...looks a HELL of a lot better than:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis...everybody else that's a 5-8 D

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Ehrhoff

Sbisa - Weber

Bartowski, Corrado

If the Canucks are truly going for a playoff spot, like Burrows has suggested, that looks much more like a playoff ready D. More importantly though, Ehrhoff would give a huge boost to the Sedin PP.

Either situation:

If Canucks are going for a playoff run: Ehrhoff actually helps the defense, especially the PP.

If the Canucks are looking for future assetts: Ehrhoff would bring in at least a 2nd on deadline day and would boost Vrbata as an deadline asset as well because of the improved powerplay.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Ehrhoff

Sbisa - Weber

Bartowski, Corrado

If the Canucks are truly going for a playoff spot, like Burrows has suggested, that looks much more like a playoff ready D. More importantly though, Ehrhoff would give a huge boost to the Sedin PP.

Either situation:

If Canucks are going for a playoff run: Ehrhoff actually helps the defense, especially the PP.

If the Canucks are looking for future assetts: Ehrhoff would bring in at least a 2nd on deadline day and would boost Vrbata as an deadline asset as well because of the improved powerplay.

Yeah, no... I personally would pair Edler and Ehrhoff. They get primary offense and secondary shutdown. Hamhuis and Tanev get primary shut down. The rest of the guys play cleanup.

Either way though, we at least have a legit'ish top 4 with his addition.

If he doesn't get what he wants in the NHL, he'll just head over to Europe to play.

All rumours suggest so far that he's OK with a 1-year deal, as long as it's on a contender, he hasn't outright rejected the CBJ offer and he doesn't want to play in Europe.

It could all be a ploy for more money, but why would his agent be so public with being OK with a 1 year deal?

I think he legitimately wants a cup. I think that's why he went to Pittsburgh on a 1 year deal last year, no doubt he could have cashed in on a worse team. He had 33 points and was 4th on the Sabres in points as a defenseman (Hodgson led with 44, not much disparity) going into last off-season. He has a ton of money now between his Buffalo and Pens contracts. I think he learned his lesson from the Buffalo fiasco. The problem is, not many contenders have roster or cap space for him.

At least Vancouver has a shot at the playoffs and he knows he can put up decent point totals here to land a contract with a contender next season...I still think Carolina and CBJ would be good fits for him if he gives up on a fair contract from a contender.

Yeah, no... I personally would pair Edler and Ehrhoff. They get primary offense and secondary shutdown. Hamhuis and Tanev get primary shut down. The rest of the guys play cleanup.

Either way though, we at least have a legit'ish top 4 with his addition.

Sorry, yeah, whatever pairings, my point was just to show an actual playoff top-4 defensive core.

Ehrhoff's Vancouver basic stat line is pretty damn good: 28 goals, 94 points, +55 in 159 regular season games. 5 goals, 19 points in 35 playoff games.

Bottom line is he's a guy that can get the puck to the net.

I'm amazed at how many D-men on the team lack in that simple skill set. Even if he's lost a step or isn't the player he once was, the simple ability to get the puck on net and create chances is so important.

Bottom line is he's a guy that can get the puck to the net.

I'm amazed at how many D-men on the team lack in that simple skill set. Even if he's lost a step or isn't the player he once was, the simple ability to get the puck on net and create chances is so important.

Yeah, I get a chuckle out of the general sentiment of "he's not the player he was' on here. Well no @#$% Sherlock, neither are the twins or Edler, it's 5 years later genius.

He's still a better option than anyone else we're going to have playing in the #4 position this season (Weber, Sbisa, Bartowski, Corrado) and other than Weber is the only guy with ANY real offensiveness ability on the back end.

If him, Edler and the Sedins can play at anything even resembling ~85% of their former level, with their already proven chemistry, we're MILES better than last year. Particularly our pathetic PP which has basically been in the toilet since Ehrhoff/Salo left and we lost any meaningful threat from our blue line.

Add Sutter/Horvat basically recreating a similar Kesler/Malholtra dynamic (and freeing up the Sedins to work their magic) and this team becomes a lot more of an actual threat to win games.

The only problem I have with signing him is the opportunity he takes away from another D (likely Corrado). He'd also make it harder (though not impossible) to keep Virtanen up.

Archived