The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Ehrhoff would take 1-year deal, CBJ kicking tires.

Anybody who thinks we should have gone after Ehrhoff on July 1st is crazy. Anybody who thinks we shouldn't go after Ehrhoff at 1 year/1 mil is also crazy. Our team is deeper/better with him on it.

If he can be had that cheap, Benning has to be on the phone reminding him of his best years in Van.

He'd still be the best option we have on our powerplay. Having Weber penciled in the top 4 is a joke.

You can't bury cap hits in the minors.

You can bury up to $375K + the league min (now $575K) in the minors. The amount that gets brought into the cap is the AAV less the sum of ($375K + NHL minimum salary.)

For 2015-16, the league min salary is $575K so the maximum amount that can be buried is $950K.

CBA p 264 Article 50.5 (d)(i)( B )(6), and see for explanation http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-cba-how-do-buried-contracts-work/

What if he puts up 20-25 points in 40 games and gets the Canucks a 2nd round pick and prospect at the deadline on a cheap-o 1-year contract?

Ya... that sounds terrible for us... especially with the top 7 loaded with NHL proven defencemen and all the young talent on the farm that is completely ready to make an impact at the NHL level and needs to roster spot

(I am using a sarcasm font there in case anyone missed it)/

You can bury up to $375K + the league min (now $575K) in the minors. The amount that gets brought into the cap is the AAV less the sum of ($375K + NHL minimum salary.)

For 2015-16, the league min salary is $575K so the maximum amount that can be buried is $950K.

CBA p 264 Article 50.5 (d)(i)( B )(6), and see for explanation http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-cba-how-do-buried-contracts-work/

Still wouldn't help us sign Ehrhoff. We'd need that full cap hit to get it done.

He'd still be the best option we have on our powerplay. Having Weber penciled in the top 4 is a joke.

You can't bury cap hits in the minors.

1st point = agreed.

2nd point = you can bury just under 1M this year and the Canucks have 1.2 million in cap space. So, 2.2 million to sign Ehrhoff and one depth player at league minimum-ish...or some LTIR magic. It's doubtful Ehrhoff will sign that low, but days are dwindling, he's rich and joining the Canucks is probably the best option he'd have (if Benning even wants him).

Thanks for that. +1

Ya... that sounds terrible for us... especially with the top 7 loaded with NHL proven defencemen and all the young talent on the farm that is completely ready to make an impact at the NHL level and needs to roster spot

(I am using a sarcasm font there in case anyone missed it)/

Haha. Pretty much. Also, I'm repeating myself a lot in this thread, but Ehrhoff also raises the value of whoever plays on the Sedin PP, which in this case is UFA-to-be and top-15 scorer Vrbata, who could also bring in some decent assets at deadline if the Canucks are not playoff bound.

Ehrhoff got his contract with a contender, figured he would eventually.

Edit: Though with all the drama between Richards, Voynov, and Stoll, even though all three probably won't play for the Kings next year, they might miss the playoffs again..

Well Stoll's with the Rangers so he definitely won't.

And I thought Voynov was serving jail time but would be out in time for training camp?

Well Stoll's with the Rangers so he definitely won't.

And I thought Voynov was serving jail time but would be out in time for training camp?

Yeah, Voynov will be back by training camp. Richards though, it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Archived