The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Draft: Most Intriguing Prospects

Seeker1

C Logan Brown, Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

Logan Brown is, at the very least, the most physically intimidating forward prospect available for the draft next summer. Standing 6’6″ and tipping the scales at 225 pounds, Brown is a menace on the ice with his combination of skill and hulking size.

The son of former NHL defenseman Jeff Brown, Logan is far from just a big body lumbering around on the ice. The sixth overall pick in the 2014 OHL Draft, Brown was dealt to the Windsor Spitfires from the Niagara IceDogs for six draft picks before even suiting up for an OHL game. It’s not hard to see what the Spitfires fell in love with, as Brown finished his first OHL season with 17 goals and 43 points in just 56 games to finish second in the OHL in points per game amongst rookies.

D Sean Day, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)

One of the most polarizing prospects available next year without a doubt, Sean Day entered the OHL under tremendous expectations as the fourth player ever to be granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada, after John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid. However, he was also the first exceptional player to be taken after the first overall pick, as Day slid to the fourth overall selection and the Mississauga Steelheads. Admittedly, Day doesn’t exactly fit the criteria of “not much buzz”, but he didn’t exactly live up to expectations in his first two OHL seasons, registering a combined 16 goals and 52 points to go along with a -62 plus/minus rating over 121 games.

RW Julien Gauthier, Val-d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL)

Continuing with the physically intimidating theme, Julien Gauthier is a towering winger out of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Playing for the Val-d’Or Foreurs last season, Gauthier blew away his numbers from his rookie QMJHL season, increasing his goal total from 8 to 38 and his points total from 29 to 73. And at 6’4″ and 220 pounds, Gauthier is able to use his large frame to make an impact in every zone. Despite his impressive progression and desirable size, Gauthier is ranked just 28th by Hockeyprospect.com and 19th by Future Considerations to open his pre-draft season.

C Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL)

One of the more curious cases in the 2016 Draft, Alex DeBrincat’s numbers should indicate a potential high first round talent, as he exploded onto the scene with a 51-goal OHL rookie season. Despite a monster rookie season, DeBrincat starts off his draft year outside of the top 30 on both the Hockeyprospect.com and Future Considerations prospect rankings. There are some potential concerns that are keeping his draft stock relatively low heading into his draft season, however, as DeBrincat has definitely posted the numbers to justify a high draft pick.

The first issue is, of course, the Connor McDavid effect. The generational talent centered DeBrincat for much of the 2014-2015 season, and as a result, DeBrincat rose from undrafted OHL prospect to rookie of the year and 50 goal, 100 point scorer. The second is his small frame, as DeBrincat, a late 1997 birthday, stands just 5’7″ and weighs in at a measly 160 pounds.

Link

Max Gildon: Texas Star Rising in 2017 NHL Draft Class

It’s easy for Max Gildon to stand out among the top talents in the 2017 NHL draft class. In addition to having an appealing combination of size, a smooth skating ability and elite offensive skill, the young blueliner hails from Texas, an unorthodox place to find one of the world’s top 1999-born hockey players.

It all started for Gildon when his grandfather, Larry Smith, introduced to him to hockey at a young age. From there, he began to fall in the love with the game.

“My grandfather used to pick me up from daycare and take me down to the rink,” says Gildon. “I started to really like the game then when I was a kid. I played other sports, but never had a hard decision to make of quitting one for hockey because hockey has always been my favourite sport.”

Fortunately for Gildon, Texas’ hockey development began making headway at the same time he was learning the ropes. The Dallas Stars AAA programs have developed an esteemed reputation over time for having the knowledge and resources to develop high-end hockey players, which is evident in the role they played in molding Nashville Predators pivot Seth Jones and Edmonton Oilers prospect Caleb Jones.

The 6-foot-3, 172-pound rearguard began making noise in the hockey world when he played two levels up on the Dallas Stars AAA U16 club in his 14-year-old season. He not only didn’t look out of place against older opponents, but he also proved to be an impact player. It led to some scouts regarding him as a top 10 prospect in the 2014 WHL bantam draft.

“It all started last year when he played U16 and was playing two levels up from his age group,” says Silverman. “He not only fit in, but he excelled. Then the second year on the team he stepped up and developed even more to where he is today.”

Link

I'm curious to see how Sean Day would rank in the draft next season. Even with his exceptional status, his stats so far don't really warrant high draft position, especially when there's guys like Auston Matthews getting compared to some of the best prospects in past years and Jakob Chychrun looking like another mobile two-way force on some lucky team's blue-line. This upcoming season should be a make-or-break season to determine if he has NHL elite prospect potential.

That being said, if he falls to the 2nd I'd still hope that Benning would take him if he's available. There should be something good there and if we could draft him then I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into a solid if not elite player.

Are these players the Canucks can and should draft, or are you mentioning them in a more general sense? I'm just wondering why this is in Canucks Talk.

I agree we do gotta go for these top guys next year instead of a mid low round pick. Matthews on the Nucks would be unreal and even Chychurine or Tachuck could be a fantastic thing

Logan Brown will be very difficult for a lot of teams to pass on I think.

I think the draft could be a really cool happening this year with Matthews from Arizona, and Brown from Raleigh with the potential of both the Coyotes and Canes picking in the top 5. Fantastic story for two non traditional markets if they end up with those two.

Matthews to Arizona, and Eric Staal 2.0 to Carolina who happens to have grown up there as well.

Jacob Chychrun is the guy I would be after if the Canucks are picking in the top 5 which is a possibility. Happens to be from Florida.

A lot of potential of matching of "hometown" heroes for non-traditional markets this year. Exciting to see how hockey is developing in the US as well. Imagine a pairing of Chychrun - Ekblad for the next 15 years. Holy Florida/Quebec that would be awesome.

I agree we do gotta go for these top guys next year instead of a mid low round pick. Matthews on the Nucks would be unreal and even Chychurine or Tachuck could be a fantastic thing

But he didn't list any of those (spelling aside). I have no idea where the guys he did mention are projected to go and how they relate to us. It's not like we know where we'll be drafting yet either so I'm just wondering where the tie in is, or if he just wanted to post about the prospects and didn't see he was in Canucks Talk.

If he's going to make the thread, I'd hope he'd add some context. He hasn't come back to the thread though so no idea.

I'd almost want us to be in a position to be able to draft Brown and have enough to acquire another 1st and grab Gauthier as well.

Baertschi - Brown - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Gauthier

Imagine that top six with everyone fully developed...

But he didn't list any of those (spelling aside). I have no idea where the guys he did mention are projected to go and how they relate to us. It's not like we know where we'll be drafting yet either so I'm just wondering where the tie in is, or if he just wanted to post about the prospects and didn't see he was in Canucks Talk.

If he's going to make the thread, I'd hope he'd add some context. He hasn't come back to the thread though so no idea.

Yeah i guess it depends on where we finish i dont like to think of a tank but this might be the year to do it. Its a intresting discussion til the season starts

I'd almost want us to be in a position to be able to draft Brown and have enough to acquire another 1st and grab Gauthier as well.

Baertschi - Brown - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Gauthier

Imagine that top six with everyone fully developed...

Personal I think Logan Brown will be drafted in the 8-13 range. Players like Chychurn, Steel, Matthews, Debrincat (I think he will be a top 10 pick) Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkatchuk, Jones, Benson, and maybe even Bellows and Fabbro are better than Brown IMO

Personal I think Logan Brown will be drafted in the 8-13 range. Players like Chychurn, Steel, Matthews, Debrincat (I think he will be a top 10 pick) Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkatchuk, Jones, Benson, and maybe even Bellows and Fabbro are better than Brown IMO

I only got to see a couple spits games last year. While I wasn't looking for brown on the ice, he definitely didn't grab my attention. Could have been an off couple games. Just sharing what I've seen or havent seen so far.

Still can't not love that size and potential Brown has. Unless someone falls I'd expect us to take him if we're in range to do so.

Archived