The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Rugby World Cup

Bill Sikes

There seems to be two standards of refereeing. One for the lesser teams and one for the top (Southern Hemisphere ) teams. I don't understand what the difference was between the Scotland wingers handball and the one that Foley did against England? where he didn't get a yellow card.

As for the end it may have been an Australian knock on but for the life of me why didn't Scotland keep the line out short. At least then you have some control.

I also thought there was foul play on the Scotland full back and prior? to that the Australian player seemed to be sitting on the touchline when he threw the ball back to a team mate and the touch judge kept his flag down.

I felt sorry for Ireland, they even more than Wales seemed to suffer from too many injuries to top players and Argentina played out of their skin. Very disappointing for the Irish fans.

I do think that there were/are two standards for teams although, for me, it seemed to run more along the lines of Tier 1/ Tier 2 nations - Scotland fell into the latter today.

Many times over the last few weeks I have seen calls on the field go against a Tier 2 nation that are not even commented on if a Tier 1 nation were to commit the exact same "offence." Forward passes, obstruction, offsides, tackling offences (not rolling away) calls or non-calls baffled me at times. You could guarantee that a borderline lateral pass would be called against, say Canada, but the exact same pass by Australia or NZ is fine.

Obviously, the refs are different in every game but consistency is needed. Penalty against Scotland during the first minute of play and the lock penalized another 10 for throwing the ball away. Fast forward to the second half, Australia penalized & throw the ball away - no call. I get that the ref is trying to establish his authority right off the bat but keep it consistent.

/end rant :frantic::lol:

RE: tier 1 and 2: I think what we see is in part an unwitting bias. I'm talking about both us as fans and those in the media and perhaps even referees. It's not completely wrong the way it's called though, and here's why I say that. The top teams do everything more at pace than the teams not quite at that level, and how things are called are related to that.

A ball that travels forward strictly looking at it's position on the field is not always a forward pass for instance. If the player is running forward at a higher speed and his arms throw the ball in a motion that implies a lateral or backwards pass, then it's not usually considered forward. The All Blacks do this often as it's a proper pass but momentum carries it forward. Canada might not get away with that though, as they didn't in the Italy game as the player throwing the ball (I think it was Trainor?) actually slowed up to the point he'd almost stopped running and had his arms thrown in the motion I mention above it would have gone well behind DTH. Instead he had to throw it flat sideways to get it there, and didn't quite succeed.

RE: All Blacks: I'd consider maybe that they aren't as dominant in the forwards as they have been previous years, but there's no question in my mind that their backs are still the tops in the sport. Aaron Smith at 9 is great, as is Carter despite getting older. Having Sonny Bill behind Nonu and Conrad Smith is incredible. Then Naholo out but still having Savea, Milner-Skudder and Ben Smith as your back three? Wow.

RE: Scotland and the TMO: The TMO rule as it stands doesn't allow the ref to check on that kind of call. The TMO can be used to review foul play or the play leading up to a try (or the TMO can instruct the ref to look at an incident in those areas they've identified) but the TMO can't be used to check a knock on or similar play that would otherwise be innocuous. Calls like that happen all the time during games and no one gets upset because it's not in the final seconds and leading to a game changing score. I can't defend Joubert running off the field though.

All Blacks through.  Kind of a grinding game, weather forced the players hands.  Boks always up their game against the ABs.  Meh.

They did up their game and if the ref and the linesman hadn't given them 2 forward pass tries the Boks would have  won it. Watch where the big guy throws the "basket ball" pass and where the ball is caught. It's not even close. The second one shows the guy nowhere near the 5 metre line and yet the player taking the pass has his foot across the line when he catches it. More poor officiating.

The ABs "play" the referee and although I thought the ref had a a decent game apart from the tries, he still let a lot of AB infringements go, especially in the first half. Also what kind of advantage was given to the Springboks when their winger intercepted a pass and had more or less a free run in to the line and was called back for a penalty that amounted to nothing?

The penalty was against the Boks - so no advantage to the ABs in a Springbok try :lol:.

The forward passes, especially the lob, I would agree on and goes to the discussion above about different standards/unwitting biases for the Tier 1/ Southern Hemisphere nations in the tournament and probably all test rugby in general.

Hopefully tomorrows game will be more entertaining - maybe the Puma backs can dazzle with some of their play.

Unfortunately, Aussies advance.  Pumas inability to execute really cost them - and hard luck on a yellow card.  If their backs could've made their passes a split second sooner (and not having to be forced to hold on to the ball), we would have seen a very different game.

Aussies have looked very beatable this WC and have been undisciplined.  I except a tight first half next week, with the All Blacks opening up on them in the second.

Archived