The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Army prospect rankings.

Ossi Vaananen

1. Virtanen

2. Boeser

3. Cassels

4. Demko

5. McCann

6. Gaunce

7. Corrado

8. Kenins

9. Shinkaruk

10. Grenier

McCann at 5 isn't a knock. I just think the guys listed in my top 4 are going to be very good NHL'ers.

I also think Gaunce is extremely underrated. Definite NHL power-forward material.

Shink from 9 to 7 and I am good with that list.

Gaunce needs to develop an ulcer or something else to give him a bad disposition, he's just too nice still.

I would still put him at better than even odds to make it to the NHL and same for Shinkaruk except he just needs a bit more strength and time to figure it out, he already has the will and tenacity.

Corrado and Kenins should be staples on the team this year so that leaves Grenier as the question mark and only because he is a couple years older...this is his make or break year as well.

If anyone is interested in the updated list

20. McEneny

19. Tryamkin

18. Zhukenov

17. Pedan

16. Brisebois

15. Jasek

14. Hutton

13. Subban

12. Demko

11. Jensen

10. Gaunce

9. Kenins

8. Grenier

7. Cassels

6. Corado

5. Shinkaruk

4. Boeser

I'm guessing they go McCann, Baertschi and Virtanen in that order

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, I'm happy they didn't do the obvious thing and slot Virtanen in at #1. I don't think he'll bust or anything, I just don't really believe he'll be anything exceptional. I would have put him at #4 behind Baertschi, Boeser, and Shink (given their .... criteria .... for a prospect).

On the other hand, I think CA just pulled a Buzzfeed and squeezed Baer onto the listicle (really, he shouldn't be there) in order to create controversy by dropping Virt to #2.

List is alright, I don't take prospect rankings too seriously because their is so many unknowns and ifs / maybes.

Must say it's nice to actually see some actual prospects gaining some hype. Can't wait for the prospects camp.

The players I am going to keep an eye out for are:

on Defence - Brisebois / Hutton / Subban / McEneny

on Forward - Cassels / Virtanen / Zukenov / Gaunce / McCann / Shinkaruk

on Goalie - none

Looking forward to others to surprise me.

Archived