The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Army prospect rankings.

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Army does this yearly, posting a top 20 rankings of Canucks prospects. They've completed 11-20 so far, and the list is as follows:

11. Nicklas Jensen

12. Thatcher Demko

13. Jordan Subban

14. Ben Hutton

15. Lukas Jasek

16. Guillaume Brisebois

17. Andrey Pedan

18. Dimitri Zhukenov

19. Nikita Tryamkin

20. Evan McEneny

Here's the Jensen ranking, and scroll down to the bottom for links to others: http://canucksarmy.com/2015/8/21/canucksarmy-prospect-profile-2015-11-nicklas-jensen

Now, I'm not trying to give them traffic, but I think there's some worthy discussion here. Since we're at the half way point, how do you think the top 10 will be ranked? Should guys like Demko and Jensen be ranked higher?

Some of the articles are interesting, while others are completely off point. For example, CA has Jensen as 31st overal 3 years ago, which is completely wrong as he was 29th in 2011. CA does however provide some insight into advanced statistics.

So CDC, how do your rankings go?

I can't take CA seriously any more. All their best writers are gone aside from the occasional article from Drance, the new editor is a full-time Leafs blogger, and they've expressed zero interest in cleaning up the comments section which is always filled with ten year old trolls from Alberta. I pretty much decided to stop giving them any traffic, but at least from a curiosity angle I can see this year's list here.

Jensen seems too low, I feel like it's just the popular thing this year to write him off.

I assume Horvat and Vey don't qualify, but Corrado and Baertschi do?

1. Jake Virtanen - Boy in a man's body had a very good season despite missing time with shoulder injury. Will get at least a look in NHL.

2. Jacob Markstrom - Let Comets through terrific playoffs to AHL finals. Needs to start proving himself in the NHL.

3. Frank Corrado - NHL career just about ready to roll.

4. Jarred McCann - Skilled two way player currently injured. Will see if he makes World Junior squad.

5. Cole Cassels - Warrior center also battling through hurts after mem. cup victory. AHL time ahead.

6. Brock Boeser - American sniper looks forward to college career.

8. Brendan Gaunce - Almost ready for an NHL look.

7. Hunter Shinkaruk - It's starting to become go time for diminutive winger.

9. Ronalds Kenins - Grinder had some flash in the NHL at times.

10. Alex Grenier - Like Gaunce, pretty much time to see what NHL potential he has.

11. Nicklas Jensen - Underrated scorer might find himself out of the loop here.

12. Thatcher Demko - Solid, but years away.

13. Jordan Subban - If he can start lighting up the AHL, that's something.

14. Ben Hutton - Needs to start being consistent at the pro level.

15. Lukas Jasek - Small winger should have solid nubmers overseas.

16. Guillaume Brisebois - Full junior term coming up.

17. Andrey Pedan - Concussion ended heavy thrower's season early.

18. Dimitri Zhukenov - Skilled forward obviously needs to grow.

19. Nikita Tryamkin - Huge defender has 'okay' KHL season in limited role.

20. Evan McEneny - Needs to start showing something.

Bartschi's played 71 NHL games so far. Markstrom 50. Kenins 35. Corrado 32.

Corrado and Beartschi's a bit younger though. However I would think NHL games played is the marker. After a certain amount of NHL games he's no longer a prospect? And Baartschi's over the mark? Meh. I think Bartshi's going to be in the NHL all season long, as well as Markstrom and Corrado. Kenins... Borderline.

Demko at 12 is too low. Way too low.

i agree, but i think he needs to accomplish just a bit more, keep on his trajectory just a bit longer so he is more proven, which will come only with time. Considering he's at least 2 years from AHL, and Jensen plays AHL and had a prolific junior career, I think its reasonable to say that Jensen has a more proven skill set than Demko... if only just. This may very well be the last time these names are in that order, depending on how they come to camp.

1. Jake Virtanen - Boy in a man's body had a very good season despite missing time with shoulder injury. Will get at least a look in NHL.

2. Jacob Markstrom - Let Comets through terrific playoffs to AHL finals. Needs to start proving himself in the NHL.

3. Frank Corrado - NHL career just about ready to roll.

4. Jarred McCann - Skilled two way player currently injured. Will see if he makes World Junior squad.

5. Cole Cassels - Warrior center also battling through hurts after mem. cup victory. AHL time ahead.

6. Brock Boeser - American sniper looks forward to college career.

8. Brendan Gaunce - Almost ready for an NHL look.

7. Hunter Shinkaruk - It's starting to become go time for diminutive winger.

9. Ronalds Kenins - Grinder had some flash in the NHL at times.

10. Alex Grenier - Like Gaunce, pretty much time to see what NHL potential he has.

11. Nicklas Jensen - Underrated scorer might find himself out of the loop here.

12. Thatcher Demko - Solid, but years away.

13. Jordan Subban - If he can start lighting up the AHL, that's something.

14. Ben Hutton - Needs to start being consistent at the pro level.

15. Lukas Jasek - Small winger should have solid nubmers overseas.

16. Guillaume Brisebois - Full junior term coming up.

17. Andrey Pedan - Concussion ended heavy thrower's season early.

18. Dimitri Zhukenov - Skilled forward obviously needs to grow.

19. Nikita Tryamkin - Huge defender has 'okay' KHL season in limited role.

20. Evan McEneny - Needs to start showing something.

Good job, particularly working around their list.

I like

- Boeser

- McCann

- Corrado

- Cassels

Reorganizing 3 through 6.

Adding some value to the upside & physical tools of McCann and Boeser. I see Corrado as the D equivalent, a two way guy without peak upside, of Cassels. But he is faster and more ready so I still rated him higher than Cassels.

I presume you graduated Baertschi?

My Top 10 List:

1. Jake Virtanen

2. Jared McCann

3. Brock Boeser

4. Thatcher Demko

5. Cole Cassels

6. Ronalds Kenins

7. Hunter Shinkaruk

8. Brendan Gaunce

9. Frank Corrado

10. Jordan Subban

I rate Boeser slightly higher than McCann. That extra 10, 15 lbs makes him very realistic to be a sniping NHL winger IMO with his skill set. I do like the dangle & 2 way play, speed, McCann add's! If he makes it, he could be extremely valuable. He has some exciting tools in his box. But its a question? Only so many Dave Bolland sized guys are impact two way pivots in this league...

We have already seen size & strength throw a wall to ascend for another exciting prospect for us, Hunter Shinkaruk, at the pro level.

Good job, particularly working around their list.

I like

- Boeser

- McCann

- Corrado

- Cassels

Reorganizing 3 through 6.

Adding some value to the upside & physical tools of McCann and Boeser. I see Corrado as the D equivalent, a two way guy without peak upside, of Cassels. But he is faster and more ready so I still rated him higher than Cassels.

I presume you graduated Baertschi?

It was between him and Markstrom, who's older, but has played fewer NHL games. If there was another spot he would've been in the list.

Should be interesting to see what impact Bart, Markstrom and Corrado have on the team this season.

Archived