The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

WWE and Disney are sending me to the keg tonight.

A buddy told me a week ago about the disney announcement of their own streaming service and it was obviously going to be a big deal. Anyone else get into Disney before yesterday's announcement?

I bought into WWE at $73 now it's over $95. I'm pretty sure it'll calm down but it's done well for me. I'm considering a sell off soon. Any fell wrassling investors?

Both of these company take up a huge chunk of my portfolio. Invest in what you know they say

• 1 month later...

Didn't see this coming. Why the need to pay such a huge premium over Friday's close? ....

WestJet to be sold in $5B deal

Calgary-based airline will become a private company, owned by Onex Corporation, if approved by shareholders

WestJet says it has agreed to be acquired by Onex Corporation and will become a private company in a deal valued at $5 billion. 

Under the agreement announced Monday, Onex will pay $31 per share for WestJet.

Shares in the airline closed at $18.52 on Friday.

Completion of the transaction is subject to a number of conditions, including court, regulatory and shareholder approvals.

Will be based in Calgary

A special meeting of shareholders is expected to take place in July to approve the transaction. 

"I am particularly pleased that WestJet will remain headquartered in Calgary and will continue to build on the success that our 14,000 WestJetters have created," said Clive Beddoe, WestJet's founder and chairman in a news release.  

"Onex' aerospace experience, history of positive employee relations and long-term orientation makes it an ideal partner for WestJetters, and I am excited about our future."

The deal comes after Onex approached the airline in March.

Also, China retaliates in trade war with USA. Markets are not pleased.

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Didn't see this coming. Why the need to pay such a huge premium over Friday's close? ....

WestJet to be sold in $5B deal

Calgary-based airline will become a private company, owned by Onex Corporation, if approved by shareholders

WestJet says it has agreed to be acquired by Onex Corporation and will become a private company in a deal valued at $5 billion. 

Under the agreement announced Monday, Onex will pay $31 per share for WestJet.

Shares in the airline closed at $18.52 on Friday.

Completion of the transaction is subject to a number of conditions, including court, regulatory and shareholder approvals.

Will be based in Calgary

A special meeting of shareholders is expected to take place in July to approve the transaction. 

"I am particularly pleased that WestJet will remain headquartered in Calgary and will continue to build on the success that our 14,000 WestJetters have created," said Clive Beddoe, WestJet's founder and chairman in a news release.  

"Onex' aerospace experience, history of positive employee relations and long-term orientation makes it an ideal partner for WestJetters, and I am excited about our future."

The deal comes after Onex approached the airline in March.

Also, China retaliates in trade war with USA. Markets are not pleased.

A good day for me today. Just finished watching the town hall today. Seems like the deal was been worked on for the last 8 weeks.  Glad I bought a couple hundred shares of westjet in December. Wishing I would have bought more. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A good day for me today. Just finished watching the town hall today. Seems like the deal was been worked on for the last 8 weeks.  Glad I bought a couple hundred shares of westjet in December. Wishing I would have bought more. 

Nice score. Looks like Onex approached them in March and somehow they managed to keep it quiet.

Still have no idea why they'd pay a 67% premium when there's no other suitors.

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Nice score. Looks like Onex approached them in March and somehow they managed to keep it quiet.

Still have no idea why they'd pay a 67% premium when there's no other suitors.

Well you have to remember WestJet wasn't looking to sell, Onex approached WestJet since it fits well in their aviation portfolio.  Ed Sims was really only willing to consider the offer if all the demands were met.  Keeping the HQ in Calgary as well as making sure sale price was $31/per share helps keep the confidence strong with the employees since WestJet has a really good share option plan.  I know a few of the employees who've been there a long time who've likely cashed big today.... retirement money big.  

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm glad I got out of the previous managed fund I was in before because of days like today. 80% equity much of which was low market cap companies I would be having a real good cry today and for the foreseeable future if things don't turn positive.

Or if you play the long game and buy constantly and consistently versus jumping in/out then drops like today can offer some amazing deals.    Look at market over time - NOTHING outperforms it.   If you panic or get nervous, you pull out and make money for someone else.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Or if you play the long game and buy constantly and consistently versus jumping in/out then drops like today can offer some amazing deals.    Look at market over time - NOTHING outperforms it.   If you panic or get nervous, you pull out and make money for someone else.

It was almost a day trading portfolio. Not quite, but many trades each week. Few holdings were held onto long term. Too much cash was sitting around not being utilized as well even when the market was very low there around and after Christmas. The portfolio was more of a 'template' where x shares were bought and distributed to those people in that portfolio - the portfolio itself wasn't really managed hence the bulk of cash sitting there doing nothing. I'm sure you know how that all works though.  Where I am now is mostly ETF and index fund portfolio which is up 8% this year and considered 'medium' risk with I think 50% equity. It is a buy and hold strategy. Plus, I get to keep the vast majority of dividends for myself instead of paying the other guy to manage but not manage my money. I'm very happy with it.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

It was almost a day trading portfolio. Not quite, but many trades each week. Few holdings were held onto long term. Too much cash was sitting around not being utilized as well even when the market was very low there around and after Christmas. The portfolio was more of a 'template' where x shares were bought and distributed to those people in that portfolio - the portfolio itself wasn't really managed hence the bulk of cash sitting there doing nothing. I'm sure you know how that all works though.  Where I am now is mostly ETF and index fund portfolio which is up 8% this year and considered 'medium' risk with I think 50% equity. It is a buy and hold strategy. Plus, I get to keep the vast majority of dividends for myself instead of paying the other guy to manage but not manage my money. I'm very happy with it.

Ah, then your strategy is a wise one as I think the US-China game will impact valuations for a bit still here but if you are a monthly fund buyer and have a longer-term horizon, now is the exact opposite time of when you should bail from the market.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:04 AM, NickTheGreek said:

WWE and Disney are sending me to the keg tonight.

A buddy told me a week ago about the disney announcement of their own streaming service and it was obviously going to be a big deal. Anyone else get into Disney before yesterday's announcement?

I bought into WWE at $73 now it's over $95. I'm pretty sure it'll calm down but it's done well for me. I'm considering a sell off soon. Any fell wrassling investors?

Both of these company take up a huge chunk of my portfolio. Invest in what you know they say

I wished i bought more WWE stock way back when! One of my very first investments, I bought it at around $25.50

On 1/31/2019 at 8:31 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Regardless of an advisors opinion on pro wrestling, it's been a highly profitable company that's been running for 40 years with no end in sight. 

Helps too that they have little to no competition. Even the the product wasn't as good as they were in their heyday (The Rock, Stone Cold, DX days ), the fact they are the only big name player in the market, makes them a pretty sound investment long term regardless of a few dips. Its like an Offensive lineman in a middle of grade 1 students

On 1/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, HI5 said:

I don’t listen to advisors, they can’t predict the market and neither can we. I find if you find some stocks within an industry you thoroughly enjoy reading and learning about you should pull the trigger if you feel it’s right.

Advisors have always told me I needed to diversify my portfolio as I have a tendency to go all in on certain stocks at times for a quick flip. So far it’s been working well for me so I don’t plan on changing anything.

For me, If I want to invest on high floor investments, those are the ones that im intrested in, usually tech, mobile gaming, but the ones Im not too familiar but just studying charts, financials, and a bit of the news, thats where I'll invest for the home runs, low cost, high risk, high reward (lately its been mining and some smaller marijuana companies)

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 10:38 AM, HI5 said:

Anyone holding any junior mining lithium shares?

Vancouver company Dajin Resources looks positioned to bought out and they’re shares are very cheap at the moment. 

Albemarle is the only lithium stock that I have owned.

12 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Albemarle is the only lithium stock that I have owned.

Any familiarity with this whole Pluspetrol thing? They bought out Dajins partner LSC and now could possibly make a play for Dajin. 

4 hours ago, HI5 said:

Any familiarity with this whole Pluspetrol thing? They bought out Dajins partner LSC and now could possibly make a play for Dajin. 

Unfortunately no, last buy I made was for Adaptive BioTech.

Its been on fire last two days, it’s up to $48 so I am planning to ride the hot streak.

Microsoft made an investment in it, so I figured, if it’s good for them it’s good for me.

• Cheers 1