The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Benning believes culture change will improve Canucks" Bob Mackenzie Interview

Gstank29

10.8M/3 years?

Not big in the grand scheme IMO, especially if the cap continues to climb. Not even Benning's biggest contract.

Don't get me wrong. I do think we overpaid slightly for Sbisa's contract but not nearly as much as a lot of people here think.

With the amount of cap coming in next year while more and more young players come in replacing vets I don't see us reeling from lack of cap space moving forward.

Maybe slightly overpaid but you just have to pay some premium for a player to forego two years of his unrestricted free agency.

10.8M/3 years?

Not big in the grand scheme IMO, especially if the cap continues to climb. Not even Benning's biggest contract.

Don't get me wrong. I do think we overpaid slightly for Sbisa's contract but not nearly as much as a lot of people here think.

With the amount of cap coming in next year while more and more young players come in replacing vets I don't see us reeling from lack of cap space moving forward.

____

I am ok with the contract, it's just that he wasn't even in the conversation which I thought said that they don't see him as a top five in the immediate future. If you recall at the trade, and after, Benning was clear that he had top 4 potential, and now his name doesn't even come up. Is there an additional message there?

The interview was pretty comprehensive and the questions asked were pointed but not unfair. These are the questions that intelligent fans want the answers to.

1. Bonino/Sutter trade, what was the rationale? Bigger. faster player who plays the same defensive role but can match up better against some of the big centres in the west.
  2. Will Bieksa's leadership be missed? Yes.
  3. Can Miller carry the load? And what is that? Yes, believes top goalies can play until 40. Ideally he should play 55 games.
  4. Why move Lack and keep Markstrom? Markstrom is younger, and he likes his mental toughness.
  5. Why trade Kassian for Prust? Consistency; knowing what they get every night.

Other Benning comments:

• Right wing on Sedin line. There are three possibilities and only 2 were named......Burrows and Vrbata
  • Was surprised at how many times he mentioned Kenins.
  • Likes how the team is constructed now. Thinks they're faster and harder to play against but the success of the year really depends on how the younger players pan out. Baertschi was who he mentioned most and I suppose is his biggest concern.
  • Bartkowski and Corrado add to the speed and puck moving on the back end. Weber not a lock as Hamhuis' partner. They will be trying others but they know that Weber can do ok.
  • Likes how they are set down the middle with Sutter, Horvat and Vey behind Hank.
  • Following the Detroit model. Sedins, Burrows and Hamhuis will be showing the young guys what it means to be a Canuck.

Chiming in on the Chiarelli interview, I feel like, because they are a year separated in their time with their teams, the interview is a lot more macro focused. I feel like the things he touches in regards to the team he is building, it's a lot like the things Linden and Benning have been saying but we have spent a whole year digesting what they reveal, as well as a year of transactions. Chiarelli sounds much more experienced with dealing with interviews and time being a General Manager in Hockey. I think Jim sounds more inexperienced but I think their approach to team building is similar.

Just thought some people would be interested in what Benning had to say

http://www.tsn.ca/video/nhl/benning-believes-culture-change-will-improve-canucks~703460

Will post a summary later

-Sutter is a good two way player who is always on the right side of the puck, hes a big centre who can match up against the Getzlafs and Kopitars

god i hate it when he says 'kopitar(s)' and 'Getlaf(s)' ..... there's only 1 of them jeeeeesus. so many gm use plurals to describe teams,

If they were smart they'd hire huge athletic guys to carry a cold keg on their back and cups on them.

Then during stopages have these huge guys rush through each row selling beer.

Slim athletic women can make their way down those skinny rows more easily than "huge athletic guys", and, at least to me, they're way hotter...

god i hate it when he says 'kopitar(s)' and 'Getlaf(s)' ..... there's only 1 of them jeeeeesus. so many gm use plurals to describe teams,

That is a league-wide trend among players, coaches, managements, media and fans. Incredibly annoying. Even more so when it then is translated into other languages without getting sorted out as superfluous nonsense.

:(

10.8M/3 years?

____

I am ok with the contract, it's just that he wasn't even in the conversation which I thought said that they don't see him as a top five in the immediate future. If you recall at the trade, and after, Benning was clear that he had top 4 potential, and now his name doesn't even come up. Is there an additional message there?

Yes there is: Hamhuis and Edler are still ahead of him on the left side.

When a person says "The" Kopitars and Getzlafs he's referring to those players and all others like them. It's a common way referencing a type of person, or in this case player.

When a person says "The" Kopitars and Getzlafs he's referring to those players and all others like them. It's a common way referencing a type of person, or in this case player.

yeah but every player has intangibles and are individuals.

I think what irks him is that they are humans and deserve the respect of treating them as individuals when referring to them by name. Using a similie would get the same message across.

yeah but every player has intangibles and are individuals.

I think what irks him is that they are humans and deserve the respect of treating them as individuals when referring to them by name. Using a similie would get the same message across.

It is a generalization. Like saying the Olsons and Picktons (serial killers) of the world. As I said, it's a common way of giving an example of a type that you're talking about.

Actually I see it as a compliment to those two players being named as prototypical centers that are tough to play against. But to each their own. ;)

Archived