The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Benning believes culture change will improve Canucks" Bob Mackenzie Interview

Gstank29

Skipped to word salient. I guess it is important that we have a farm team now. However, that means our methods of excusing away mediocrity has diminished.

So here's hoping the success comes. Cheers.

If you skipped, then you still don't get it so why don't you just stop. Your line of bs is boring.

Benning actually used the term "Detroit Model" in the MacKenzie interview (if you could pay attention until the end of it).

The difficulty with the model is that it takes a long time to establish and requires more patience than most owners have. Effectively 3 years along a plan that I expect will take fully 7 years before we really see it's benefits, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If you skipped, then you still don't get it so why don't you just stop. Your line of bs is boring.

Benning actually used the term "Detroit Model" in the MacKenzie interview (if you could pay attention until the end of it).

The difficulty with the model is that it takes a long time to establish and requires more patience than most owners have. Effectively 3 years along a plan that I expect will take fully 7 years before we really see it's benefits, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This is one of those areas where often the franchise's interests do not line up with GM's interests. GMs often don't adhere to long term benefits with short term trade offs because their job could be in jeopardy.

This is one of those areas where often the framchise's interests do not line up with GM's interests. GMs often don't adhere to long term benefits with short term trade offs because their job could be in jeopardy.

This.

Maybe this time, the Aquilinis are actually going to let the President and GM do their jobs.

This is one of those areas where often the framchise's interests do not line up with GM's interests. GMs often don't adhere to long term benefits with short term trade offs because their job could be in jeopardy.

Agreed and thats one of the things i like about benning. He seems committed to improving the franchise, regardless of personal success.

Agreed and thats one of the things i like about benning. He seems committed to improving the franchise, regardless of personal success.

He's already shown that he's willing to make moves that were likely to be unpopular.

If a GM has a vision for a team it should never be influenced by fans or ownership, otherwise they'll be constantly second guessing themselves and unable to make moves.

My only question of trying to use a past method in securing the same results;How can you do so without the exact duplication of the same pieces, such as, the players, the coach, the tradition, the city, the times and yes all the other factors... like the exact similarities to teams they played against and conditions those games were played in... with a team and an understanding that exists and of course existed?Well Sorry Cinderella... the Prince left with Jack and your dreams are nothing but reruns cause there's no room in the Palace.Benning has "these parts" to put together and no matter how hard you wish it wasn't so... It's So!!!He may scan anothers blueprint, but it will be the "The Vancouver Method" ... honestly... How could it be anything else?

http://youtu.be/9Nfcu2mKghw

Slim athletic women can make their way down those skinny rows more easily than "huge athletic guys", and, at least to me, they're way hotter...

I'd prefer that but I doubt slim athletic women could carry a heavy beer keg on their back. Also if any drunk fellas get any ideas of taking the keg or other ideas... there could be a problem.

I doubt anyone will mess with huge athletic guys.

Edit: The girls can carry the cups!

10.8M/3 years?

Not big in the grand scheme IMO, especially if the cap continues to climb. Not even Benning's biggest contract.

Don't get me wrong. I do think we overpaid slightly for Sbisa's contract but not nearly as much as a lot of people here think.

With the amount of cap coming in next year while more and more young players come in replacing vets I don't see us reeling from lack of cap space moving forward.

With the Canadian dollar in the tank I dont expect to see a cap raise as the Can teams seem to dictate the measure of a cap hike,being that north of 49 is the big buck draw for the league.So exactly the reverse needs to happen an cap space needs to be freed up next year and it appears there are options on the board now that were not so evident this last year.There is hope for future with an astute cap managing team with light at end of the tunnel ,keep it burning an hope alive.2015/16 season.

You gotta trust your GM. He's moulding his team the way he wants it and so far the reaction from fans has even mixed but he's still early in his tenure and we won't get a good glimpse into his work for another 4-5 years. Problem is fans in this market want results now so Benning will forever face scrutiny for all his moves unless the Canucks win the cup. My personal opinion on Benning is he's been okay so far, some good moves (getting rid of the old core,likeable drafting) but the more questionable moves (odd signings, not maximizing value on trade returns) have overshadowed the good. I'll cut him some slack because he's new to this but for him to publicly state we are following a Detroit-like method on building a team angers me because it may work for them but so far it hasn't worked for the Canucks as Gillis tried to do the same thing but failed miserably in drafting and properly developing his assets. Detroits scouting department is much better than Vancouvers and for whatever reason they always seem to find gems in the draft to replace outgoing players on their team. So far the Canucks have no immediate replacement for the Sedins, no bonafide defensive prospects, and no prospects that have exceeded expectations in their development.

With the Canadian dollar in the tank I dont expect to see a cap raise as the Can teams seem to dictate the measure of a cap hike,being that north of 49 is the big buck draw for the league.So exactly the reverse needs to happen an cap space needs to be freed up next year and it appears there are options on the board now that were not so evident this last year.There is hope for future with an astute cap managing team with light at end of the tunnel ,keep it burning an hope alive.2015/16 season.

Cap has only gotten up ever since being introduced. The Canadian dollar will be a setback but it won't stop it from continuing to climb annually.

Barring any re-signs we will have over 15M in cap next year. I also mentioned the fact that if young players prove themselves ready that they and their cheap cap hits will replace older vets with much higher cap hits.

I see no issue moving forward cap wise during this transition.

Don't forget, Sbisa's actual salary last year was 2.9 (much more than his cap hit of 2.165) so the negotiation would have started from there. His actual salary this year is 3.2 and his new cap hit is 3.6. When you consider the blended increases from year to year it is much more reasonable. (source: NHL Numbers)

It is also interesting that in Bennings interview today (Sept 14) with Sekeres, he was asked if there were any free agents that he would have been interested in at the final price they actually got (fishing for a comment on Franson I would say). Benning said that he would not have been interested. He is happy with the depth of D he has and he wants to have places open for young players who deserve shots at making the team. If Franson were picked up, he would slot into the #4 spot and make it difficult for Corrado. He also wants speed and mobility on the back end which is Franson's challenge. He also listed Biega, Fedun, and Pedan as possible depth call ups.

thanks for the info in the first paragraph; it does explain the terms of the signing .

i'm not sure i buy what jb is selling in the second paragraph; at the very least fa's allow a team to manufacture prospects by moving fa's at a later date. if jb is such a magician with picks, then he should be trying to gather as many as he can. But hey, imo, asset management has been a problem with this team for a while now.

Benning knows that there's wishful thinking, fantasy, dreams and the (Demons) Logic, Reality, Patience and Hard Work... OH NO!!!

If you compare the salaries of our Twins and say, the salaries of Getzlaf and Perry, you'll notice that next season they'll be paided $19.25 M... a savings of $5.25 M next to Hank's and Dan's $14 M... WOW!!

We get the boys for far less than the Ducks get their Heroes for, Smart Eh!?!?!?

But wait, how come we never got a Right Winger for them who not only could play with them, but was also better than them, because he could do what the pair on the Duck Pond can do, play with anyone.

Now this never happened because of the Faith they had in Roberto Luongo. They believed that the now panther was what would put them over the top, but damn, even he needed the help of a star player who could... "SCORE"

The Sedins are class acts all the way, they never demanded more money while proving on and off the ice what Great Canucks they have and forever will be. They'll always know who they are and what they're capable of doing and don't kid yourself, so does Management.

But I bet you anything that in 2011... they honestly wished for a "Clutch Right-Winger" to pass to in the Final.

I got no problems with what I wrote!!

thanks for the info in the first paragraph; it does explain the terms of the signing .

i'm not sure i buy what jb is selling in the second paragraph; at the very least fa's allow a team to manufacture prospects by moving fa's at a later date. if jb is such a magician with picks, then he should be trying to gather as many as he can. But hey, imo, asset management has been a problem with this team for a while now.

I don't think he likes Franson because he doesn't fit with where Benning thinks the league is going. Look at the success the Habs had against Boston. They were much faster. More recently, Tampa has been successful with a fast team. Maybe Benning thinks that quickness will trump brawn in the west in the same way as it did against Boston. Benning wants mobile puck movers. It's a trend that I think that Gillis saw way back but he was to early committing to build that sort of a team. So Benning moved Bieksa and brought in Bartkowski and kept Corrado.

While I get in general what Benning is up to, I don't know why he hasn't improved defensive prospects the same way as he has with the forwards. In the McKenzie interview he admitted that he has been working on a BPA basis and that in the future, he may have to chose the best defenseman because he has so few.

To answer your question about why isn't he gathering as many draft picks as possible because the way the team is constructed, he must try to satisfy two goals at once. There is the over 30 core and young draftees who are 20 or so. The core will retire before the young guys will be in their prime and able to carry the load. As such, he has to add a few tweeners like Sutter, Dorsett, Prust, Sbisa, Bartkowski etc

Serving two masters is a difficult thing. Will it be his undoing? I think as long as one has priority over the other, Benning has a chance to make it work. The priority, of course must be the draft.

The irony of that (pedantic) failure....

Dat dum dum Bennig not describie the proper way duh communicated wudee tryinda say.

Pafessor baumermann to da rescew.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I assume it is some sort of an insult. Alas, insults work best if they are clearly communicated; perhaps you've been taking too many notes from Benning.

Since they got here, Reverend Jim and Pastor Trev have been preaching patience with the young'uns, to let them develop and only bring them in when they are ready to take a job from a veteran.

Has anyone else noticed in their most recent interviews a little change in that tone? Benning now sounds willing to loosen up with bringing more than this season, and Linden has talked about doing it more quickly as well, that after taking stock of the shortcomings of the team over the past year the pace needs to accelerate.

While we may only see Virtanen crack the roster out of camp (aside from the expected Baertschi, Corrado, and Markstrom), I think we may well see a few others do so during the season, or at the latest by the TDL. Gaunce and Grenier in particular, and possibly Pedan.

Archived