The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Awesome 2nd day of camp. Really impressed with the guys. No one really seems to be out of place. In my opinion the biggest surprises through the first two days of camp (excluding the veteran guys) are (in order): Baertschi, Biega, Grenier.

Baertschi looks absolutely filthy. Dude is dripping with talent. Seems to score goals when you don't think it's possible. Looks like he's in great shape and has this swagger when he's out there.

Biega looks amazing. He looks fast and just overall really really good. Very impressed with him. Probably the player I'm most surprised about. I figured Baer would look good, but I didn't think Biega would look like anything special. But damn he has my attention.

Grenier looks really good too. I'm surprised by how quick he is and he seems to have a pretty good hockey sense and his playmaking is way better than I thought it would be.

Virtanen and Grenier look pretty even so far, and if only one can make the team I'm not sure who it will be. I think Virt has the inside track though cause even though Grenier looks fast, he does not look as fast as Virtanen. Also Grenier doesn't play as physical as Virtanen does.

Overall very impressed with everyone. Btw Miller is one hell of a class act. Always willing to go the extra mile for fans. Amazing dude.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. I actually don't know crap about scouting so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Awesome 2nd day of camp. Really impressed with the guys. No one really seems to be out of place. In my opinion the biggest surprises through the first two days of camp (excluding the veteran guys) are (in order): Baertschi, Biega, Grenier.

Baertschi looks absolutely filthy. Dude is dripping with talent. Seems to score goals when you don't think it's possible. Looks like he's in great shape and has this swagger when he's out there.

Biega looks amazing. He looks fast and just overall really really good. Very impressed with him. Probably the player I'm most surprised about. I figured Baer would look good, but I didn't think Biega would look like anything special. But damn he has my attention.

Grenier looks really good too. I'm surprised by how quick he is and he seems to have a pretty good hockey sense and his playmaking is way better than I thought it would be.

Virtanen and Grenier look pretty even so far, and if only one can make the team I'm not sure who it will be. I think Virt has the inside track though cause even though Grenier looks fast, he does not look as fast as Virtanen. Also Grenier doesn't play as physical as Virtanen does.

Overall very impressed with everyone. Btw Miller is one hell of a class act. Always willing to go the extra mile for fans. Amazing dude.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. I actually don't know crap about scouting so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Great post. Any disappointments so far? A friend of mine up there said Vey seems out of place physically.

Great post. Any disappointments so far? A friend of mine up there said Vey seems out of place physically.

I'm not disappointed with anyone so far. Haven't noticed Vey but there are a lot of guys out there so it's impossible to notice everyone. Also it's just a couple of practices. Doesn't mean anything.

Forgot to mention but Hutton and Brisebois look awesome too. Like really awesome.

Spent the day at the Rod and Gun club here with the entire team. Pretty good times. Burr was by far the worst marksman I saw. Horvat and Sautner the best. This was at the lever action rifles anyway. Didn't see pistols or SKS rifles.

That's pretty awesome. May as well get a taste of what living in the north is about.

Thx to the guys reporting back from Prince George.

I tried reading the posts over at HF and was shocked by how negative they were. Pretty much down on everyone not named Gaunce.

Just don't get them calling themselves fans of this team.

That's weird lol I haven't really been too disappointed with anyone. Even the long shots look alright.

Thx to the guys reporting back from Prince George.

I tried reading the posts over at HF and was shocked by how negative they were. Pretty much down on everyone not named Gaunce.

Just don't get them calling themselves fans of this team.

Wow the vitriol on that HF board is mind blowing. Why even pretend to be a fan of the team. They just look for any excuse to hate on players individually and the team as a whole. There's a bunch on here, but it's much easier to wade through the irrational negativity.

What's it like to be an eternal pessimist I wonder?

2 more sleeps til hockey! :towel:

Wow the vitriol on that HF board is mind blowing. Why even pretend to be a fan of the team. They just look for any excuse to hate on players individually and the team as a whole. There's a bunch on here, but it's much easier to wade through the irrational negativity.

What's it like to be an eternal pessimist I wonder?

2 more sleeps til hockey! :towel:

There's a lot of people on twitter like that, all muted.

There's a lot of people on twitter like that, all muted.

Yea the negativity is strong this season. So many people that just wanna b!tch about anything. I think some people are still bitter about Lack and Bieksa getting traded.

As for people commenting on practice, it's hard to come to any sort of meaningful conclusion about players from it. A player makes one mistake in practice and they suck, they're weak, or they're not ready. They make one good play and they're awesome.

I can't wait till the season starts so we can stop with all the speculating and predictions and just let the players play.

How's Grenier doing?

I went Friday. I thought he, in particular, was very impressive. Very noticeable. Same with Stewart. Very impressed.

That said, the guy I was most impressed with, was Hansen. Dude is so strong on his feet and tenacious. This guy needs some top line ice. He gets 30 goals this year if he stays healthy.

He's a powerforward, they tend to come to camp overweight and trim down through the season. Bertuzzi always used to show up to camp at like 250lbs.

I wouldn't read too much into it. His issue has been between his ears. We'll see if he fixes that or not.[/quote

First off Kassianis no Birtuzzi. I think the bottom truth about Zach,is he's not all that bright and isn't gonna be any time soon . Glad we're not wondering how his season would be going if he was a Canuck

First off Kassianis no Birtuzzi. I think the bottom truth about Zach,is he's not all that bright and isn't gonna be any time soon . Glad we're not wondering how his season would be going if he was a Canuck

I think you missed the point.

Saying Kassian is out of shape because he comes to training camp overweight means nothing for powerforwards. It's typically done intentionally, and guys like Bertuzzi and Byflugien do the same thing.

I went Friday. I thought he, in particular, was very impressive. Very noticeable. Same with Stewart. Very impressed.

That said, the guy I was most impressed with, was Hansen. Dude is so strong on his feet and tenacious. This guy needs some top line ice. He gets 30 goals this year if he stays healthy.

That's the funny thing about practices though, not everyone notices the same things. Hansen didn't really stand out to me in particular, and I though from that group Higgins and Sutter easily looked most ready to play this year. Edler and Tanev didn't really look that impressive to me either. Tanev really seemed like he was struggling with what to do carrying the puck up ice, but back checking he was very calm and precise. Baertschi and Gaunce both looked really good.

With that being said I'm not really sure Virtanen makes the team this year. Physically he looks ready, and he is probably the fastest guy in camp but his offensive game seems to need some work, and I think he has a pretty hard time beating Kenins, Baertschi and Gaunce for spots on the roster at this point.

From the second group Corrado didn't really stand out much either. I think Bartowski, Beiga and Fedun all looked better. It even seemed as if Hutton and Subban could beat him for a roster spot. McCann has a great shot and I was impressed with his game, he is a steal for sure.

Note I'm not trying to be negative here just got to thinking that some of these roster spots that a lot of people seem to have penciled in to certain players could be quite different than expected.

Archived