The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

That's the funny thing about practices though, not everyone notices the same things. Hansen didn't really stand out to me in particular, and I though from that group Higgins and Sutter easily looked most ready to play this year. Edler and Tanev didn't really look that impressive to me either. Tanev really seemed like he was struggling with what to do carrying the puck up ice, but back checking he was very calm and precise. Baertschi and Gaunce both looked really good.

With that being said I'm not really sure Virtanen makes the team this year. Physically he looks ready, and he is probably the fastest guy in camp but his offensive game seems to need some work, and I think he has a pretty hard time beating Kenins, Baertschi and Gaunce for spots on the roster at this point.

From the second group Corrado didn't really stand out much either. I think Bartowski, Beiga and Fedun all looked better. It even seemed as if Hutton and Subban could beat him for a roster spot. McCann has a great shot and I was impressed with his game, he is a steal for sure.

Note I'm not trying to be negative here just got to thinking that some of these roster spots that a lot of people seem to have penciled in to certain players could be quite different than expected.

I like Jake and I want him to succeed but unless he blows everyone away he's probably going to get 9 games and back to junior and as such WJC. That's perfectly fine by me. It's a luxury to be able to develop these kids properly instead of throwing every first round pick to the wolves (the NHL I mean, not the crappy farm team we had).

Yeah people love players that hit

Having the least amount of points on the team for any forward gets overlooked

He's a good 4th liner, he's not going to all of a sudden get that offensive flare and an amazing shot

1) this is pre-season, coaches can play whomever with whoever just to test it out.

2) Kenins is fast and DOES have a good shot (proof below)

3) He got 12 points in 30 games which isn't bad for a first year rookie playing 4th line minutes.

Not saying he's amazing but just saying who cares, let him try. Burrows wasn't very offensively known until he got a chance with the Sedins and it turned out to be crazy good.

1) this is pre-season, coaches can play whomever with whoever just to test it out.

2) Kenins is fast and DOES have a good shot (proof below)

3) He got 12 points in 30 games which isn't bad for a first year rookie playing 4th line minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5E5BRnzKcM

Not saying he's amazing but just saying who cares, let him try. Burrows wasn't very offensively known until he got a chance with the Sedins and it turned out to be crazy good.

And kenonis does stuff that helps the team win, when he's not scoring. He plays a hard game too.

I think you missed the point.

Saying Kassian is out of shape because he comes to training camp overweight means nothing for powerforwards. It's typically done intentionally, and guys like Bertuzzi and Byflugien do the same thing.

Kassian can't even hold up Bertuzzi's and/or Byflugien's jock strap. Kassian is not even close to being a Power Forward, I would put him as a wanna be.

Awesome 2nd day of camp. Really impressed with the guys. No one really seems to be out of place. In my opinion the biggest surprises through the first two days of camp (excluding the veteran guys) are (in order): Baertschi, Biega, Grenier.

Baertschi looks absolutely filthy. Dude is dripping with talent. Seems to score goals when you don't think it's possible. Looks like he's in great shape and has this swagger when he's out there.

Biega looks amazing. He looks fast and just overall really really good. Very impressed with him. Probably the player I'm most surprised about. I figured Baer would look good, but I didn't think Biega would look like anything special. But damn he has my attention.

Grenier looks really good too. I'm surprised by how quick he is and he seems to have a pretty good hockey sense and his playmaking is way better than I thought it would be.

Virtanen and Grenier look pretty even so far, and if only one can make the team I'm not sure who it will be. I think Virt has the inside track though cause even though Grenier looks fast, he does not look as fast as Virtanen. Also Grenier doesn't play as physical as Virtanen does.

Overall very impressed with everyone. Btw Miller is one hell of a class act. Always willing to go the extra mile for fans. Amazing dude.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. I actually don't know crap about scouting so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

good summary. i would like to add that Markstrom looked sharp today as well.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Shinkaruk Horvat Dorsett

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

Prust Vey

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Shinkaruk has another amazing pre season and is as enthusiastic as ever and earns his spot alongside his fellow first round same draft teammate Bo Horvat. Virtanen goes back to Jr for another year of development and Ronnie Kenins gets sent down to Utica awaiting a call up.

Roll 4 lines and slot in Prust for Shinkaruk or Higgins when we need the extra muscle depending on who we play. Baring any injuries or trades this is what I'd like to see come the season opener.

That's the funny thing about practices though, not everyone notices the same things. Hansen didn't really stand out to me in particular, and I though from that group Higgins and Sutter easily looked most ready to play this year. Edler and Tanev didn't really look that impressive to me either. Tanev really seemed like he was struggling with what to do carrying the puck up ice, but back checking he was very calm and precise. Baertschi and Gaunce both looked really good.

With that being said I'm not really sure Virtanen makes the team this year. Physically he looks ready, and he is probably the fastest guy in camp but his offensive game seems to need some work, and I think he has a pretty hard time beating Kenins, Baertschi and Gaunce for spots on the roster at this point.

From the second group Corrado didn't really stand out much either. I think Bartowski, Beiga and Fedun all looked better. It even seemed as if Hutton and Subban could beat him for a roster spot. McCann has a great shot and I was impressed with his game, he is a steal for sure.

Note I'm not trying to be negative here just got to thinking that some of these roster spots that a lot of people seem to have penciled in to certain players could be quite different than expected.

I see what you mean but I think with Virtanen you really only get to see half his game in practice cus he can't exactly go cream vrbata into the bench haha. He has to hold back everything that makes him such a great hockey player. Imo his camp starts in preseason where we can really see all his tools and how much he can impact an nhl game.

The crappy thing is even if he does make the team who's willy gonna sit so he can play? The only guy on the team he's probably better than at this time is vey but jakes a winger. If he makes it I want to see him play at least 60 games or it would be pointless.

Awesome 2nd day of camp. Really impressed with the guys. No one really seems to be out of place. In my opinion the biggest surprises through the first two days of camp (excluding the veteran guys) are (in order): Baertschi, Biega, Grenier.

Baertschi looks absolutely filthy. Dude is dripping with talent. Seems to score goals when you don't think it's possible. Looks like he's in great shape and has this swagger when he's out there.

Biega looks amazing. He looks fast and just overall really really good. Very impressed with him. Probably the player I'm most surprised about. I figured Baer would look good, but I didn't think Biega would look like anything special. But damn he has my attention.

Grenier looks really good too. I'm surprised by how quick he is and he seems to have a pretty good hockey sense and his playmaking is way better than I thought it would be.

Virtanen and Grenier look pretty even so far, and if only one can make the team I'm not sure who it will be. I think Virt has the inside track though cause even though Grenier looks fast, he does not look as fast as Virtanen. Also Grenier doesn't play as physical as Virtanen does.

Overall very impressed with everyone. Btw Miller is one hell of a class act. Always willing to go the extra mile for fans. Amazing dude.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. I actually don't know crap about scouting so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I have to give Benning credit for acquiring depth. For a long time the Canucks were just riding the coat-tails for a few stars -- back when the Sedins were the top 1-2 forward combination in the league. With great goal-tending a solid top 4 D to go along with the Sedins the team had some very good years. There were other good players around as well of course, but there is a lot more depth now contending for bottom 6 spots. That is nice to see.

Now we just need a couple of legitimate first liners to emerge as successors to the Sedins. Baertschi looks possible.

Today's scrimmage roster:

White:

Shinkaruk - Vey - Virtanen

Kenins - Cassels - Dorsett
Labate - McCann - Zalewski

Petit - Friesen - Fox

Brisebois - Corrado

Hutton - Fedun

Erhardt - Subban

Olson

Markstrom

Cannata

Team Blue:

Baertschi -Crackell - Jensen

Gaunce - Jones - Grenier

Bancks -Hamilton - Hansen

Kurtz - Zhukenov - Stewart

Sbisa - Biega

Pedan - Sautner

Negrin - Neill

McEneny

Miller

Bachman

*note - not the actual lines or pairing, rather the listed rosters per team, the lines are my construction.

Today's scrimmage won't be streamed but there'll be updates on twitter.

As for todays' powerplay practice - here are the units via @Kuzma:
PP practice features Sedins with Vrbata, Sutter with Baertschi and Burrows and Vey between Horvat and Higgins.
PP practice has Edler with Weber and Hamhuis with Tanev on points.
In five-man drills, Vrbata with Sedins and Edler with Weber on points. Sutter between Baertschi, Burrows and Hamhuis with Tanev.
Horvat getting PK look with Burrows.

Today's scrimmage won't be streamed but there'll be updates on twitter.

As for todays' powerplay practice - here are the units via @Kuzma:
PP practice features Sedins with Vrbata, Sutter with Baertschi and Burrows and Vey between Horvat and Higgins.
PP practice has Edler with Weber and Hamhuis with Tanev on points.
In five-man drills, Vrbata with Sedins and Edler with Weber on points. Sutter between Baertschi, Burrows and Hamhuis with Tanev.
Horvat getting PK look with Burrows.

Aww, that sucks that they won't livestream the scrimmage.

And hopefully Horvat impresses and gets that 2nd line PP time this year.

EDIT: FTFY LarsEller

Archived