The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greenland is Melting Away - Sea Levels could rise 20ft after full melting - If it happens

TOMapleLaughs

I'm not being ignorant at all. It's called being a smart home buyer and not buying a house in a fire zone, flood plain, etc.

Everyone is so concerned with view, neighbourhood, house layout, etc. How about that river flowing through the back of your property? Has it ever flooded? Are you going to pay through the nose for house insurance for living in a potential disaster zone? These are things to consider that are a tad more important than the look of wallpaper or that the kitchen isn't open concept.

Where do you live?

If you own a house/property in Richmond or Delta you can afford to move.

The original question was about people living in the path of a typhoon in Mexico. This has nothing to do with Richmond or Delta.

Besides, that's still an extremely ignorant comment. 

Lots of harmful methane gas to be released into the atmosphere not to mention the loss of a major fresh water reserve.  Greenland melting is bad.  

Also, his comment isn't ignorant, it's logical in my opinion.  Think beyond the humanistic perspective and empathy for those that live in the flood plains.  Humans throughout history have settled in these flood plains for overall convenience however it is also blatantly obvious that living in these places is not exactly "safe".  

I'm not being ignorant at all. It's called being a smart home buyer and not buying a house in a fire zone, flood plain, etc.

Everyone is so concerned with view, neighbourhood, house layout, etc. How about that river flowing through the back of your property? Has it ever flooded? Are you going to pay through the nose for house insurance for living in a potential disaster zone? These are things to consider that are a tad more important than the look of wallpaper or that the kitchen isn't open concept.

Exactly, people want the view, the extra's and the " nice things ", smarter people do their research and be more stragic about such a purchase.

Yes, it is ignorant. 

What about the generation that grew up there and cannot afford to move?

What about the generation that grew up there and cannot afford to move ? I think RonMexico is talking about people who are homeowners, or potential homeowners in said areas and doing their research before buying or building in an area prone to or in the way of a " natural disaster " or " hazard ".

Perhaps it is unfortunate to the poor of one of these areas who have little to no ability to get out of town so to speak or to those who just can't make it work financially. 

In no way is that ignorant.

Lots of harmful methane gas to be released into the atmosphere not to mention the loss of a major fresh water reserve.  Greenland melting is bad.  

Also, his comment isn't ignorant, it's logical in my opinion.  Think beyond the humanistic perspective and empathy for those that live in the flood plains.  Humans throughout history have settled in these flood plains for overall convenience however it is also blatantly obvious that living in these places is not exactly "safe".  

Serves them right for living on a flood plain.

Yes, cause that comment is empathetic. 

What do they mean IF?

I've actually been to Greenland for a 3 month work stint in Citronnen bay in the North East for Ironbark Gold out of Australia for the country of Denmark.  We drilled on the flood plain to start mid June, by the first week of august we were rushing to save our drilling rigs and fuel supplies because the glacial run off was at a record peak a month earlier than expected.

To fly in we flew through Stations North and 2 other research outposts, the outposts had to move yearly because of both run off but also increasing sea levels from calving glaciers dumping ice in the bays they were set up in.  The researchers do this every year and have been for decades, you could still see where there old outposts would have been initially.

Ice sheets are melting as fast as all of the glaciers in North America and South America are.  It's an indisputable fact and you'd have to be REALLY stupid to believe that it doesn't have a profound effect on the climate, even more so if you believe that humans aren't helping the process.

I also agree about the building your home on a flood plain.  The same way I do about building your home in the woods and whining about a forest fire.  Due diligince or pay the excess premiums on your insurance in the event the inevitable happens

What do they mean IF?

I've actually been to Greenland for a 3 month work stint in Citronnen bay in the North East for Ironbark Gold out of Australia for the country of Denmark.  We drilled on the flood plain to start mid June, by the first week of august we were rushing to save our drilling rigs and fuel supplies because the glacial run off was at a record peak a month earlier than expected.

To fly in we flew through Stations North and 2 other research outposts, the outposts had to move yearly because of both run off but also increasing sea levels from calving glaciers dumping ice in the bays they were set up in.  The researchers do this every year and have been for decades, you could still see where there old outposts would have been initially.

Ice sheets are melting as fast as all of the glaciers in North America and South America are.  It's an indisputable fact and you'd have to be REALLY stupid to believe that it doesn't have a profound effect on the climate, even more so if you believe that humans aren't helping the process.

I also agree about the building your home on a flood plain.  The same way I do about building your home in the woods and whining about a forest fire.  Due diligince or pay the excess premiums on your insurance in the event the inevitable happens

Yup, it's more like when, depending on whether we somehow stop it.  But there was some tidbit in the link of the water being refrozen under the  sheet, and there will always be denial in the face of reality on the subject.

What do they mean IF?

Damn thanks for sharing that experience. Hearing this puts things in perspective, doesn't sound like this is something that can be reversed lol.

No it isn't.

While I would agree that a coastal flood plain is certainly a higher risk particularly when it comes rising sea levels, tsunami's etc... let's be honest, nowhere is truly 'safe'. 

We're all at risk in BC of earthquakes. Live more inland and your likely at higher risks to forest fires, mud slides etc. Further north there's the risk of extreme snow fall. Everywhere has some sort of risk.

Archived