The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greenland is Melting Away - Sea Levels could rise 20ft after full melting - If it happens

TOMapleLaughs

It's odd that certain posters seem to assume that the only places that may be flooded are in our lower mainland. The fact is that most of the worlds population live near Oceans and Seas. The entire globe will be affected and many of the worlds population do not have the option of up and immediately moving inland on fear of flooding. Most will have to wait until the sea level actually rises. Acting as if it is their own fault seems a bit small-minded.

Meh, I remember being told as a kid that we would be under water by now.  That was well over 30 years ago.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Dykes help a lot.  New Orleans for example.  

I'm guessing most of the developed world (metro regions only) will be fine with increased sea levels.  Places that are rural and countries like Bangladesh which is built on a major flood plain will be in tough. 

Where ya been?  Global wind power capacity is hovering around 380 Gigawatts and grew by 16% capacity in 2014.  Try keeping up, will ya?

While I knew there were wind farms, even in Canada, I'm not a huge world traveller so I wasn't quite prepared to see them as often as I did dotting the landscape between towns. You do hear about places capable of living primarily off of renewable resources, but even with our extensive use of hydro I think North America has a long way to go.

While I knew there were wind farms, even in Canada, I'm not a huge world traveller so I wasn't quite prepared to see them as often as I did dotting the landscape between towns. You do hear about places capable of living primarily off of renewable resources, but even with our extensive use of hydro I think North America has a long way to go.

FYI, US has the second most installed wind power capacity in the world (after China).  California and Texas have some of the biggest wind farms in the world.  Canada is lagging behind, but only because the NGOs hate the three blade horizontal axis wind turbines because of a variety of claims, including human health hazards (though there were no issues in commissioning a 90 MW wind farm near Port Hardy by a company called GDF Suez that came on line in 2014).  

So, wind power in North America is actually well advanced. South Dakota procures 25% of its electricity from wind...this pales in comparison to Denmark (home to Vestas, one of the largest wind turbine manufacturer in the world) where 40% of their power comes from wind.

Hydro, though perceived to be clean, isn't as environmentally friendly as it may seem.  If Site C goes through as some special interest groups hope, it's going to wipe out forest land and the decaying fauna is going to emit serious amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere for hundreds of years.

It will be great if one day we forego dirty and dangerous power (at source) and trade it all in for renewable (though the upstream side of renewable requires a lot of natural resources including fossil fuels, and giant energy storage cells will be needed to over come the intermittent nature of wind and solar power)...even with wind, even though there is less carbon emissions, there is still a tailpipe somewhere in the supply chain...it's just been moved further up the food chain.

If ever you're in Vegas, you should take a copter ride to see the hundreds of square miles of glistening of PVC from the air...if ever you drive from LA to Palm Springs, you'll see a giant wind farm...same if you ever drive from Bakersfield (home of the Condors) to Vegas, where you'll drive by a 700 MW farm in Tehachapi Pass...closer to home, the southern part of Washington State has a bunch of wind farms. 

Hope this bit of info helps...glad you got a chance to view the applications of renewable energy while you were in Europe.  

Dykes help a lot.  New Orleans for example.  

I'm guessing most of the developed world (metro regions only) will be fine with increased sea levels.  Places that are rural and countries like Bangladesh which is built on a major flood plain will be in tough. 

Not when you have a breach...did you forget about Katrina?

Jeez man

If your Dyke is wet stick a finger in it.  Plug the hole

Everyone knows that.

Wait...uhhhmm....just gonna stop now before that gets taken the wrong way

Speaking entirely from an engineering perspective, it is conceivable that a hole in a dyke may not be plug-able.  Unless of course the one considers what to use to plug the hole in the dyke.

If ever you're in Vegas, you should take a copter ride to see the hundreds of square miles of glistening of PVC from the air...if ever you drive from LA to Palm Springs, you'll see a giant wind farm...same if you ever drive from Bakersfield (home of the Condors) to Vegas, where you'll drive by a 700 MW farm in Tehachapi Pass...closer to home, the southern part of Washington State has a bunch of wind farms. 

Hope this bit of info helps...glad you got a chance to view the applications of renewable energy while you were in Europe.  

Wow. I'm going to guess you work in the industry because this is a pretty good sell job.

You would think a scientist-led conspiracy would see them headed off to Hawaii or anywhere warmer and more touristy.  Eh?

That's where they vacation.  The Money is in watching Ice melt in the Summer in Arctic. You never see claims of Ice melt in Arctic in Jan/Feb

Antarctica is gaining Ice Mass..

As usual, there's more to the story.  The thickening of east antarctica has been steady over a period of thousands of years.  The losses in west antarctica have been accelerating over the last 20 years.  Meanwhile, ocean levels are on the rise regardless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3300063/Antarctica-GAINING-ice-s-losing-10-000-year-old-trend-reverse-Nasa-warns.html 

They also studied ice core records to conclude that the East Antarctica ice sheet has been thickening for a very long time.

'At the end of the last Ice Age, the air became warmer and carried more moisture across the continent, doubling the amount of snow dropped on the ice sheet,' Dr Zwally explained. 

The extra snowfall that began 10,000 years ago has been slowly accumulating on the ice sheet and compacting into solid ice over millennia, thickening the ice in East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica by an average of 0.7 inches (1.7cm) per year.

This small thickening, sustained over thousands of years and spread over the vast expanse of these sectors of Antarctica, corresponds to a very large gain of ice – enough to outweigh the losses from fast-flowing glaciers in other parts of the continent and reduce global sea level rise.

His team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

'The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimetres per year away,' Dr Zwally said.

'But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimetres per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.'

He also warned it may only take a few decades for Antarctica's growth to reverse.

'If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they've been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years - I don't think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.'  

Archived