The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

19 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

He's also got a couple gold at the World Championships & a gold at the World Cup championship to go with his 2 Olympic Gold medals. Also a couple President's Cups. He's literally only missing a Stanley Cup & he's in the Triple Gold Club, which I think has less than 30 players.

The whole notion that he has no major awards to his name is total garbage.

Not when you are talking about the HOF.... without a cup or multiple vezina trophies, no goalie has been inducted in a long time. I don't know why they hold the goalies to such excellence but they do. The bar is not nearly so high when they elect forwards or defensemen to the hall. 

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Not when you are talking about the HOF.... without a cup or multiple vezina trophies, no goalie has been inducted in a long time. I don't know why they hold the goalies to such excellence but they do. The bar is not nearly so high when they elect forwards or defensemen to the hall. 

Well there are numerous goalies who have Vezina's & Stanley's who aren't in the HHOF. 

Just because a player doesn't get into the HHOF does not mean that player has no major awards on his resume. Luongo has a very impressive resume & has been a champion on many different levels. The idea he hasn't is pure nonsense.

Just now, falcon45ca said:

Well there are numerous goalies who have Vezina's & Stanley's who aren't in the HHOF. 

Just because a player doesn't get into the HHOF does not mean that player has no major awards on his resume. Luongo has a very impressive resume & has been a champion on many different levels. The idea he hasn't is pure nonsense.

Ok so you agree he is not going to get elected to HOF? Great goalie otherwise... just not one of the all time greats.

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Ok so you agree he is not going to get elected to HOF? Great goalie otherwise... just not one of the all time greats.

He will absolutely be going to the HOF.  

No doubt.  He will be at least top 4 in wins in the NHL. 

2 Olympic golds. 

3 international golds.  

Presidents trophy. 

He is easily going in.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He will absolutely be going to the HOF.  

No doubt.  He will be at least top 4 in wins in the NHL. 

2 Olympic golds. 

3 international golds.  

Presidents trophy. 

He is easily going in.  

Here's the catch... Olympics, he only played in one, the other he was a backup. The one he played in (2010) he was not even best goalie of the tournament, that went to Ryan Miller who also was MVP of the whole tournament.

So if it comes time to vote are they really going to take the olympics seriously for Lui? I somehow doubt it. 

Curtis Joseph is in the same boat with nothing notable in NHL awards and a better career percentage than Lui. There has barely been mention of him to the hall, not sure if they elect Lui on his twitter account personality maybe.

Not once did Lui or Joseph receive a first team all star selection at year end, Lui did get second team three times. Now that's the media voting but a bunch of them also vote hall of fame. Not once was he or Joseph the best goalie in any one season. Goalies in the last 30 or 40 years elected all have multiple first team all star selections to their name. I don't see how he is going to get in unless things change drastically and a bunch of other goalies get in too. 

44 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Here's the catch... Olympics, he only played in one, the other he was a backup. The one he played in (2010) he was not even best goalie of the tournament, that went to Ryan Miller who also was MVP of the whole tournament.

So if it comes time to vote are they really going to take the olympics seriously for Lui? I somehow doubt it. 

Curtis Joseph is in the same boat with nothing notable in NHL awards and a better career percentage than Lui. There has barely been mention of him to the hall, not sure if they elect Lui on his twitter account personality maybe.

Not once did Lui or Joseph receive a first team all star selection at year end, Lui did get second team three times. Now that's the media voting but a bunch of them also vote hall of fame. Not once was he or Joseph the best goalie in any one season. Goalies in the last 30 or 40 years elected all have multiple first team all star selections to their name. I don't see how he is going to get in unless things change drastically and a bunch of other goalies get in too. 

lol i don't even think cujo can compare to Lui.. if Lui didn't start his career in NYI and Florida.. we are probably talking about making a run for top 2 in wins

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i don't even think cujo can compare to Lui.. if Lui didn't start his career in NYI and Florida.. we are probably talking about making a run for top 2 in wins

Likewise if Joseph was on a time  that were back to back president trophy winners or had been on a good team instead of his Edmonton years, he is in the same boat. Didn't watch hockey then? He was also a 3 time Vezina nominee just like Lui is. Their careers are vey similar other than Joseph's playoff record is a lot better with lesser teams at the time.

14 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Likewise if Joseph was on a time  that were back to back president trophy winners or had been on a good team instead of his Edmonton years, he is in the same boat. Didn't watch hockey then? He was also a 3 time Vezina nominee just like Lui is. Their careers are vey similar other than Joseph's playoff record is a lot better with lesser teams at the time.

i dunno about u.. but he only played 2.5 years in Edmonton.. 1 was a shortened season.. his first 10 years in the league 7 of them have GAA over 3.. 7 of them are below .910 sv% with 4 of them before .900 his best statistical years were the couple years in toronto in the latter parts of his career.. in 20 years in the league he has 7 season over 0.910 sv% gave up almost 300 more goals (282) in fewer games.. i dunno in what way shape or form they are similar.. and in the playoff.. i dunno what lesser team you are referring to.. Detroit? with Yyzerman Shanahan Datsyuk Lidstrom Federov zetterberg Hull? or the Maple leafs in the late 90s with a relatively competitive team? realistically Vancouver had a decent team from 2009-2012.. but i take the detroit roster over vancouver any day.. and Luongo actually did better with lesser team.. his 1st year with the canucks and last year with the panthers. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno about u.. but he only played 2.5 years in Edmonton.. 1 was a shortened season.. his first 10 years in the league 7 of them have GAA over 3.. 7 of them are below .910 sv% with 4 of them before .900 his best statistical years were the couple years in toronto in the latter parts of his career.. in 20 years in the league he has 7 season over 0.910 sv% gave up almost 300 more goals (282) in fewer games.. i dunno in what way shape or form they are similar.. and in the playoff.. i dunno what lesser team you are referring to.. Detroit? with Yyzerman Shanahan Datsyuk Lidstrom Federov zetterberg Hull? or the Maple leafs in the late 90s with a relatively competitive team? realistically Vancouver had a decent team from 2009-2012.. but i take the detroit roster over vancouver any day.. and Luongo actually did better with lesser team.. his 1st year with the canucks and last year with the panthers. 

And so with these facts he gets into the HOF? Here are the inductees from the last 30 years...

Dominic Hasek

6 Vezinas, 2 Pearsons, 2 Harts, 3 Jennings, 6 first team all star selections and 2 Stanley cups

Ed Belfour

1 Calder, 2 Vezinas, 4 Jennings, 2 first team all star selections and 1 Stanley cup

Patrick Roy 

3 Vezinas, 5 Jennings, 3 Conn Smythes, 4 first team all star selections and 4 Stanley Cups

Grant Fuhr 

1 Jennings, 1 Vezina, 1first team all star selection, and 5 Stanley Cups

Billy Smith

1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, 1 conn Smythe, 1 first team all star selection and 4 Stanley Cups

Roberto Luongo

1 Jennings               see the difference? So you really think someone will put him in this same class of goalies?? He is more like Joseph than any of these goalies!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Great points, and something for ppl to keep in mind... It's the HHOF not the NHLHOF.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

And so with these facts he gets into the HOF? Here are the inductees from the last 30 years...

Dominic Hasek

6 Vezinas, 2 Pearsons, 2 Harts, 3 Jennings, 6 first team all star selections and 2 Stanley cups

Ed Belfour

1 Calder, 2 Vezinas, 4 Jennings, 2 first team all star selections and 1 Stanley cup

Patrick Roy 

3 Vezinas, 5 Jennings, 3 Conn Smythes, 4 first team all star selections and 4 Stanley Cups

Grant Fuhr 

1 Jennings, 1 Vezina, 1first team all star selection, and 5 Stanley Cups

Billy Smith

1 Vezina, 1 Jennings, 1 conn Smythe, 1 first team all star selection and 4 Stanley Cups

Roberto Luongo

1 Jennings               see the difference? So you really think someone will put him in this same class of goalies?? He is more like Joseph than any of these goalies!

It is the HOCKEY hall of fame.  Not just the NHL hall of fame. 

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

We probably still are, aren't we?