The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Has Ordered Canada’s Justice Minister to Start the Weed Legalization Process

Armada

Justin Trudeau Has Ordered Canada’s Justice Minister to Start the Weed Legalization Process

•  
  •  

justin-trudeau-has-officially-ordered-ca

Photo via Flickr user Brett Levin

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has given his first official order starting the process towards legalizing weed.

In a public mandate letter issued to Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould Friday, Trudeau listed the government's top priorities, including working with the Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health ministers to "create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana."

The letter also calls for a review of sentencing reforms with the goal of reducing incarceration rates amongst Indigenous Canadians. Under Stephen Harper, the Conservatives imposed mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes, including growing marijuana—a policy that has been widely criticized as "cruel and unusual."

In the absence of an official cannabis policy change, police forces across the country are using their discretion when deciding whether or not to enforce current drug laws.

Nanaimo, BC RCMP recently ordered several medical marijuana dispensaries in the city to shut down or potentially face criminal prosecution. A compassion club in Saskatoon, where a police officer told VICE he would "charge on a leftover roach" if possible, was also recently raided.

In Vancouver, cops generally don't lay charges for simple possession, but the city's 100 or so pot dispensaries, which operate in a grey market, are being cracked down on through new municipal regulations.

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada told VICE that it will continue to prosecute drug offences under the existing laws.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/justin-trudeau-has-officially-ordered-canadas-justice-minister-to-start-weed-legalization-process?utm_source=vicefbca

How long do you guys think it will take? 

i just think that in ten years time most posters on here will agree with me.

I'm with you on this, I'm over it as well. I'm in my 20s now and I just stick to drinks. Weed was a teenage phase for me. 

I'm 100% behind the legalization of it and I have no problems with anyone who does enjoy it, but it doesn't really do anything for me anymore. 

It's going to get taxed like crazy and be over priced like alcohol. Plus you won't be able to smoke while driving or in public places. Pretty much the new alcohol 

And those taxes will benefit us. Think about the extra revenue that will be brought in for a whole nation. In the first 7 months, Colorado as a state made $73.5M from marijuana taxes

Moved on to harder more exciting drugs now have you?

Actually, the legalization of it will probably decrease "harder" drugs as people will be less inclined to go to a drug dealer.

The following page has some interesting information on it - though it is from our American cousins:

I didn't listen to the radio recording, just read it.

Some quotes:

"“The bottom line is that prohibition is a disastrous failure,” Fox said during the interview. “It causes far more harm than marijuana use to both the consumer and society, as well as being morally unjustifiable. Marijuana is objectively safer than alcohol, and there’s no reason we should be putting responsible adults in jail for using it.”"

"“With young people [pot is] more addictive than alcohol is. There is still a social consensus against marijuana. There is not the social acceptance of marijuana that we have with alcohol,” he said. “Marijuana appears to be less dangerous, because so few people use it, but if you look at the data, you would see that marijuana is the number one drug that kids are in treatment for in the United States — more than alcohol, almost double than alcohol.”"

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/02/pro-weed-and-anti-marijuana-experts-battle-for-and-against-legalization-prohibition-is-a-disastrous-failure/

Actually, the legalization of it will probably decrease "harder" drugs as people will be less inclined to go to a drug dealer.

The following page has some interesting information on it - though it is from our American cousins:

I didn't listen to the radio recording, just read it.

Some quotes:

"“The bottom line is that prohibition is a disastrous failure,” Fox said during the interview. “It causes far more harm than marijuana use to both the consumer and society, as well as being morally unjustifiable. Marijuana is objectively safer than alcohol, and there’s no reason we should be putting responsible adults in jail for using it.”"

"“With young people [pot is] more addictive than alcohol is. There is still a social consensus against marijuana. There is not the social acceptance of marijuana that we have with alcohol,” he said. “Marijuana appears to be less dangerous, because so few people use it, but if you look at the data, you would see that marijuana is the number one drug that kids are in treatment for in the United States — more than alcohol, almost double than alcohol.”"

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/02/pro-weed-and-anti-marijuana-experts-battle-for-and-against-legalization-prohibition-is-a-disastrous-failure/

For a second there I briefly thought that first quote was referring to the news station. Then I laughed out loud at how notion that thought was. 

I personally can't stand the smell of marijuana - it makes me gag, but I can't say I'm upset about this if it means better regulation and some tax revenue. 

I guess you have to grow out of it.

its kind of a boring drug after a while.

overrated imo.

I'm with you on this, I'm over it as well. I'm in my 20s now and I just stick to drinks. Weed was a teenage phase for me. 

I'm 100% behind the legalization of it and I have no problems with anyone who does enjoy it, but it doesn't really do anything for me anymore. 

Finally people who understand... 

If you go to India or anywhere it grows natively in the wild most people just use it for starting fires.. 

They even regard it as a poor person drug, and would much rather use harder ones. 

Archived