The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Has Ordered Canada’s Justice Minister to Start the Weed Legalization Process

Armada

Finally people who understand... 

If you go to India or anywhere it grows natively in the wild most people just use it for starting fires.. 

They even regard it as a poor person drug, and would much rather use harder ones. 

rich, poor, regardless, I just think that if people really analyze it; their are a list of better times spent.

that being said I'm more for legalization than not.

To help pay for the healthcare costs for people damaging their (and others) lungs....

I don't know how many people are going to start smoking weed now. I think the people that are most excited to use for recreational reasons are people that already smoke it.  

Economically, I think we're only going to benefit from this

It's going to get taxed like crazy and be over priced like alcohol. Plus you won't be able to smoke while driving or in public places. Pretty much the new alcohol 

Justin already stated that it will be to be cheaper then what the black market can offer or people will just continue to buy/support the black market.

I don't know how many people are going to start smoking weed now. I think the people that are most excited to use for recreational reasons are people that already smoke it.  

Economically, I think we're only going to benefit from this

I'll probably make the occasional cupcake/brownie with this.  I doubt the non-smokers (like me) will suddenly start smoking.

And those taxes will benefit us. Think about the extra revenue that will be brought in for a whole nation. In the first 7 months, Colorado as a state made $73.5M from marijuana taxes

Exactly!  Now instead of increasing tax for public transportation like the transit vote we just had, these can things can happen without increasing tax.

I'll probably make the occasional cupcake/brownie with this.  I doubt the non-smokers (like me) will suddenly start smoking.

I just want the option if I ever felt like it.... Say like a lazy day that I just wanna play video games all day, a joint or two would be nice. I hate having to call some scumbag up and technically "break the law" and maybe get ripped off... They should just sell it along side booze at all BCLC's...

Justin already stated that it will be to be cheaper then what the black market can offer or people will just continue to buy/support the black market.

That's near impossible and our friends to the south are having issues with this exact thing.

As soon and you add a tax it cuts into the margin.  When people can grow is cheaply them selves it makes it near impossible to win the price battle.  I was just in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and it wasn't cheap 9 eur ($13 cad) for a single joint. 

Cigarettes already have the problem of black market, 1 in 5 cigarettes in quebec and ontario are black market losing out on nearly 2 billion in taxable revenue.  

You can't really compare the tax revenue that colorado brings in because it's become a destination place.  People who want to smoke it legals travel/move to colorado just to do it.  If all states were legal, there would still be a revenue just not the numbers that they currently see.

And those taxes will benefit us. Think about the extra revenue that will be brought in for a whole nation. In the first 7 months, Colorado as a state made $73.5M from marijuana taxes

I'm for the tax revenue. My point is that it's going to be more expensive than what people can get now. If it's cheaper it's going to have less THC. 

tax revenue is a great thing from the legalization of weed. 

The quality of herb at dispensaries is sad actually.  The suppliers are clueless in their growing practices and have no clue how to flush. For a while it will peak interest and once the level of quality is confirmed black market dealers will be back on top with primo product.

A close friend has a legal prescription and has basically stopped using the local dispensaries because of the below average quality.

If they actually hired botanists and grew organically then their pricing would be justified.

The only positive will be the taxe revenue for the Gov and  citizens not getting a criminal record for possession over 30 grams. 

inb4 the people that voted for Trudeau for this reason start complaining about how expensive it is

I heard $500 an ounce in Ontario once it's legalized? Don't know if that's official or not

How can it be official when the process hasn't even started yet? And $500 about 2.5x the street price. Just no.

For Trudeau to focus on something more important?

Are you implying that he is focused on this? Or that he isn't focused on anything else? Or that he hasn't done anything more "important"? Let's see...

Pulling the jets? Check. Drop niquab issue? Done. Permit scientists to freely speak to the media? Already there. Overhaul of Conservative justice reform? You betcha. Kits coast guard base to be reopened? That's happening too. Tanker traffic moratorium? Long form census restored? On it and done. And it hasn't been two weeks yet.

Nah, you're right. Empty suit.

The quality of herb at dispensaries is sad actually.  The suppliers are clueless in their growing practices and have no clue how to flush. For a while it will peak interest and once the level of quality is confirmed black market dealers will be back on top with primo product.

A close friend has a legal prescription and has basically stopped using the local dispensaries because of the below average quality.

If they actually hired botanists and grew organically then their pricing would be justified.

The only positive will be the taxe revenue for the Gov and  citizens not getting a criminal record for possession over 30 grams. 

Maybe it's just the dispensaries you're going to? The one my friend works at where I live has awesome quality, but they're also one of the only dispensaries who are able to get elite strains.

Odd.  My friends who have their card are absolutely loving being able to go to the dispensaries.  They've gotten a lot of stuff they've really enjoyed, and they're the kind of guys whose judgement I'd trust on that if you know what I mean (they've smoked a lot of weed).  

Good luck with that.I have a few friends in the USA that smoke.  Once the novelty of buying legal weed wore off they went back to their previous dealers because it was cheaper.  Going to have a VERY hard time beating the price people pay for a oz of bud in B.C

Almost anybody can grow tomatos, but most of us just buy them from the store. IMO same thing with weed. Just sell it from the liquor store and watch org. crime lose money.

When prohibition ended in the 1930's, organized crime just moved to other illegal stuff.   Don't worry, organized crime will do fine.

Archived