The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Panthers Seeking Goal Scorer

Bigturk8

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Send Bartkowski back the other way if we have to.

Like I said.  I'm on your band wagon of hope for this trade to happen.  He sounds like a bigger version of Bieksa.  Email JB and lets get this done!  Then trade Tanev for Hamonic, and suddenly our D is a lot harder to play against.

2 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Ekblad is Good  but Gudbranson is solid at everything. 

I don't see him as untouchable though. If there's discussions about Huberdeau being trade bait, surely Gudbranson could be had.

Tallon has a mandate to make the playoffs at all costs. They've been rebuilding long enough, and they have Luongo who still has a few good years left. Sometimes this makes GMs make desperate moves that don't always make a ton of sense.

My point is, if there's young players available out there, Benning needs to jump on it.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't see him as untouchable though. If there's discussions about Huberdeau being trade bait, surely Gudbranson could be had.

Tallon has a mandate to make the playoffs at all costs. They've been rebuilding long enough, and they have Luongo who still has a few good years left. Sometimes this makes GMs make desperate moves that don't always make a ton of sense.

My point is, if there's young players available out there, Benning needs to jump on it.

yea but it would be like the canucks moving a better version of Tanev. Not really something that a team wants to do. He is a perfect playoff player.

The only one they might move would be Huberdeau and only way we get that done is if Virtanen or McCann are going the other way. He may have not reached his potential yet but his value is high. 

2 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

yea but it would be like the canucks moving a better version of Tanev. Not really something that a team wants to do. He is a perfect playoff player.

The only one they might move would be Huberdeau and only way we get that done is if Virtanen or McCann are going the other way. He may have not reached his potential yet but his value is high. 

Huberdeau's value is not that high.  Vrbata is worth a first, and that's about where Huberdeau is right now - a later first.  He only plays one end of the ice, and there are questions about his ever getting the D side of the game.  If his offence could compensate, sure his value would be higher, but not like it stands now.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Huberdeau's value is not that high.  Vrbata is worth a first, and that's about where Huberdeau is right now - a later first.  He only plays one end of the ice, and there are questions about his ever getting the D side of the game.  If his offence could compensate, sure his value would be higher, but not like it stands now.

.... k I am %100 sure that if Huberdeau was only worth a 1st that any team would have done that deal in a heart beat.... The guy has been in the NHL for 4 years (only 22) year 1- 31 points in 48 games PPG= 0.65  Year 2- 28 points in 69 games PPG= 0.41 Year 3- 54 points in 79 games PPG= 0.68 Year 4/ Current- 17 points in 29 games PPG= 0.58.

i'd say he is doing just fine 

4 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

.... k I am %100 sure that if Huberdeau was only worth a 1st that any team would have done that deal in a heart beat.... The guy has been in the NHL for 4 years (only 22) year 1- 31 points in 48 games PPG= 0.65  Year 2- 28 points in 69 games PPG= 0.41 Year 3- 54 points in 79 games PPG= 0.68 Year 4/ Current- 17 points in 29 games PPG= 0.58.

I didn't say his offence was an issue.  It's just his offence is not elite enough to compensate for his current lack of defensive understanding.  He's the same as Druin in Tampa.  If these guys were elite scorers, then they would have a lot more value.  As it stands now, they hurt their teams on D more than they help them with O.  Vey had good number, as did Baer too.  Yet they are worth little or nothing right now.

6 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Problem is that the Panthers need goal scorers because Huberdeau and Barkov haven't taken the next step. Slow development may be fine for some people but these are the days of instant success required. Taking 4-5 years to develop at the NHL is an eternity and you just can't wait in the salary cap system where you need your young cheap guys producing asap.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I didn't say his offence was an issue.  It's just his offence is not elite enough to compensate for his current lack of defensive understanding.  He's the same as Druin in Tampa.  If these guys were elite scorers, then they would have a lot more value.  As it stands now, they hurt their teams on D more than they help them with O.  Vey had good number, as did Baer too.  Yet they are worth little or nothing right now.

JUst don't see Vrbata being a better option than Huberdeau. 

11 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I see you point.  But those types of grades happen when teams want into the playoffs, or if they think they're one sniper away.  Check and see how the Flames got Iginla.  

13 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Vrbata is the better option if you need goals based solely on where they are both at in their careers. It's simply a known commodity vs. unknown commodity.

Would rather have Gudbranson over Huberdeau to give Hutton someone to play with. 

But knowing Benning, he'll probably overpay for either, so unless its unless its Jensen or Grenier that we package, I'd rather trade Vrbata straight up for Matheson. 

Florida is a popular trading partner for us, so I think there is definitely potential there. I haven't had time to analyze their roster, but it sounds like they have a few intriguing young players. 

I would definitely prefer trading Vrbata, instead of resigning him. There are scoring options in free agency if we need it. 

Archived