The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2006 Draft

zejono

5 minutes ago, zejono said:

I just noticed that the 2006 draft was so deep and in each round there great players that play today. Also it funny to see how we picked Grabner at 14 and then Giroux was drafted later at 22. Are there any other years that had a lot of depth?

2003 draft was insanely deep. 

Not as good as 2003 but 2001 was really good too. A good number of steals in the later rounds as well. 2013 was said to be the deepest draft in a long time. We see if that is true but so far looks promising. Even guys who haven't touched the NHL yet like our own Cassels and a couple others. I have read that they are looking quite good in junior/NCAA/Europe leagues

I think it depends on what you mean by deep? 2009/2010 have the highest percentage of players to at least play a game in the NHL since at least the early 90s.. but I would say talent wise 2003 was probably the deepest. I believe it's the only year every player drafted in the first round have played a game in the NHL.

Not that I am here trying to stirr up stuff.  But let me share with you all the drafting list of players we could have gotten in the 1st round if we had great scouting like we do today.  

(This list starting from 2008 near the start of Gillis' reign.)

2008 (10th Hodgson)
Myers 12th
Karlsson 15th
Eberle 22nd

2009 (22nd Srcoder)
Marcus Johansson - 24th
Ryan O'Reilly - 33rd
Silfverberg - 39th

2010 (25 traded to FLA Howden)
Coyle 28th
Etem 29th
Faulk 37th

2011 (29th Jensen)
Jenner 37th
Gibson 39th
Saad 43rd

2012 (26th Gaunce)
Pearson (30th)
Dansk (31st)
McCabe (44th)

2013 (10th Horvat)
Nichushkin 10th
Domi 12th

Now personally.  These are just some of the names that stood out too me.  Jensen and Gaunce may still turn out to be solid nhlers.  But the first few years where we had dismal drafting records really shows our holes.  Imagine adding even just 1-2 of the quality players we missed out on between 2008-2010.  This team's complexion would look much different.

Bo is turning out to be a heck of a hockey player.  I personally would of gone with Nichushkin but honestly I knew very little of the prospect outside of their highlight reels and basic jr stats.  

Gaunce looks to be a piece you build a cup contender with. (Really think hes future C/A material. Very mature for his age).  Jensen the verdict is still out on.  Might be packaged and I suspect he will be for other needs.

That list is just something to ponder over.  If we are patient perhaps we can hit more of those quality players. Thankfully the youth upcoming thru the systems these days seem to be of a higher caliber.  So it should in theory be easier to find good talent late in rounds even if we do reasonably well.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Not that I am here trying to stirr up stuff.  But let me share with you all the drafting list of players we could have gotten in the 1st round if we had great scouting like we do today.  

2008 (10th Hodgson)
Myers 12th
Karlsson 15th
Eberle 22nd

2009 (22nd Srcoder)
Marcus Johansson - 24th
Ryan O'Reilly - 33rd
Silfverberg - 39th

2010 (25 traded to FLA Howden)
Coyle 28th
Etem 29th
Faulk 37th

2011 (29th Jensen)
Jenner 37th
Gibson 39th
Saad 43rd

2012 (26th Gaunce)
Pearson (30th)
Dansk (31st)
McCabe (44th)

2013 (10th Horvat)
Nichushkin 10th
Domi 12th

Conversely, it could've also gone like this:

2008 (Hodgson 10th): Kyle Beach 11th
2009 (Schroeder 22nd): Philippe Paradis 27th
2010 (traded 25th): Mark Visentin 27th
2011 (29th Jensen): David Musil 31st
2012 (26th Gaunce): Brady Skjei 28th

So, it could have been a lot worse :D

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Or if you were Edmonton it could have gone

2008 Eberle: John Carlsson

2009 Magnus Paajarvi: Ryan Ellis

2010 Taylor Hall: Tyler Seguin

2011 RNH: Landeskog

2012 Yapkov: Ryan Murray(was the consensus number 2 pick)

I once go back and look at previous drafts and I saw we drafted Bryan Allen with the 4th overall pick in 1998... 

and I also saw we drafted a Russian guy (forgot his name) in the 2nd round when Duncan Keith was still available and I could go on and on...

but rest is history, all we could hope for is no more these stupid draft busts we did and build from strong drafts in the future... 

Well if we are talking modern day current NHL. Most franchise players were drafted in 03' that is the measuring stick for every draft.

2013 looks promising but going back it proves how first rounders have a double edged sword they gets tons of opportunities to show they can play but have pressure to develop more rapidly.

It's almost better to be taken after the first round in hockey or go undrafted because there is no pressure on you to develop at a certain if you develop it is a bonus.

First rounders flame out and then you have guys like Johnny Gaudrea who were given time to develop in college and now he is the next best small skilled player after Patrick Kane in the entire NHL.

Nobody drafted him earlier because of his size. Even with the NFL and NHL being more open to smalller, faster, more skilled players players still get judged first and foremost on physical size and not talent and mental aptitude.

1 hour ago, homersexual said:

I'm sure the Penguins hate to be reminded of the 2006 draft year. Drafted Staal instead of Toews. How many cups would Crosby and Towes have in Pittsburgh today. 

I'm not so sure about that actually. That would have meant they'd have Crosby, Malkin, and Toews. Although it brings up a thought: like with selecting Staal, they'd end up with 3 centers. Would that have pushed Toews to the 3rd line like what happened with Staal? And, if this was the case, would Toews be considered more like Staal while Staal ends up being more of a star than he is?

It's a funny thought really more than anything. The team you join can make all the difference. It was a completely different situation in Pittsburgh than it was in Chicago at that time despite both clubs having gone through a long stretch of bad hockey.

13 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Yeah very true.  Just wanted to shed some light of what could have been with good drafting. Maybe give us some insight and patience well we let our stud scout JB do his work.  Nux had worst drafting record in the league during gillis reign.  So adding one of the best scouts should over time help us find more quality players. 

Tbh i was estatic when hodg was drafted after that wjc performance.  10 points or something was a leader for points in tourney. Clearly he was mis handled though. 

He blames our old medical staff but who knows.

Archived