The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

1 minute ago, etsen3 said:

Can you quantify YOUR assumptions with hard data?  Most people do not suffer through what Sullivan did.  It's just not an average experience.  A lot of people do have tough upbringings and I don't mean to minimize that (sorry if that's happened to you), but there's absolutely nothing to suggest in the demographics of a hockey forum a higher than normal level of hardship.  In fact given that the biggest group of hockey fans is white upper middle class Canadian dudes, we're probably less prone to hardship than the vast majority of the world.  No one is saying that every single person on CDC has had a normal upbringing, but it's called a normal upbringing for a reason. Your assumptions are far more presumptuous because you're betting on an anomaly.

Also, people that actually go through hardship tend to support those who have gone through the same thing, they don't go "buck up ya pussy" and try to one up each other.

I never made an assumptive statement like you did, therefore I have no need to back anything up.

I'm not betting on an anomaly at all. My post was calling out your statement and the fact that you were basing your entire point on conjecture, and trying (in vain) to pass it off as some kind of fact.

And your second paragraph, might get you in a little trouble with the mods. FYI.

O'Sullivan's father was an absolute bastard and an extremely weak human being. No child deserves that type of treatment. More kids endure than we'd like to believe though.

The issues that occurred on the ice between POS and AB are truly trivial. They should never be the focus. O'Sullivan's recounting of his experiences would have been far better served focusing solely on how to help curb this horrible issue, versus bringing up some on ice trash talking, as stupid as it was, that occurred nearly a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I never made an assumptive statement like you did, therefore I have no need to back anything up.

I'm not betting on an anomaly at all. My post was calling out your statement and the fact that you were basing your entire point on conjecture, and trying (in vain) to pass it off as some kind of fact.

And your second paragraph, might get you in a little trouble with the mods. FYI.

O'Sullivan's father was an absolute bastard and an extremely weak human being. No child deserves that type of treatment. More kids endure than we'd like to believe though.

The issues that occurred on the ice between POS and AB are truly trivial. They should never be the focus. O'Sullivan's recounting of his experiences would have been far better served focusing solely on how to help curb this horrible issue, versus bringing up some on ice trash talking, as stupid as it was, that occurred nearly a decade ago.

So do you or do you not think that most people on CDC have been through hardships greater than or equal to POS? Which do you think is a more likely scenario?  I agree that it happens to more people than we think, but I don't really think there's some weird epidemic here on CDC where most of us got beat up regularly by our parents.

And no I don't know for sure.  But we really don't know anything in life with 100% certainty, it's necessary to make assumptions and mine, I think, is fairly safe.

3 minutes ago, etsen3 said:

So do you or do you not think that most people on CDC have been through hardships greater than or equal to POS? Which do you think is a more likely scenario?  I agree that it happens to more people than we think, but I don't really think there's some weird epidemic here on CDC where most of us got beat up regularly by our parents.

And no I don't know for sure.  But we really don't know anything in life with 100% certainty, it's necessary to make assumptions and mine, I think, is fairly safe.

I feel like I'm on trial.

My point was regarding assumptions and generalizations more so. I don't think that most of the regulars on the site are victims of abuse, but we all log in anonymously, so who's to say?

All the same, I think between our posts we have fully vetted the ideas fairly, reasonably, and respectfully.

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

" In fact given that the biggest group of hockey fans is white upper middle class Canadian dudes, we're probably less prone to hardship than the vast majority of the world."

I am not an expert in the field of dealing with child abusers, however I don't believe you can break it down to "white" folk don't do that as much as people of other colours, or "middle class" folk don't do that, as much as those poor people.

I don't mean that in the sense that white middle class people are superior, I mean that in the sense that most of belong to a fairly privileged demographic where on average we face less hardship than most of the world.  Sorry if it came off that way.

It has indeed been shown that socioeconomic status is linked to abuse/crime/danger etc.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I feel like I'm on trial.

My point was regarding assumptions and generalizations more so. I don't think that most of the regulars on the site are victims of abuse, but we all log in anonymously, so who's to say?

All the same, I think between our posts we have fully vetted the ideas fairly, reasonably, and respectfully.

I am willing to admit that I made an assumption, but I'm also gonna say that my assumption is probably accurate.  My post was more in response to the internet tough guys and homers who are calling O'Sullivan soft before thinking about what it's truly like to be in his shoes. I meant to say is that people with sheltered lives really don't have much claim to question someone's toughness when that person has overcome so much more, and IMO even if you have endured more than POS it's still not a good thing to do.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To be fair, it really doesn't sound like POS was making this a focus of anything nor went out of his way to highlight this. It sounds like he was merely answering some questions (rather than him going out of his way bring this specific thing up.

47 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Burrows apologized. End of discussion really..

Yes, end of discussion until the next repugnant statement that he has made becomes public. Unless anyone believes that this was a one time thing?? Aren't we all looking forward to the book by the Sedins after they retire!

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

Yes, end of discussion until the next repugnant statement that he has made becomes public. Unless anyone believes that this was a one time thing?? Aren't we all looking forward to the book by the Sedins after they retire!

Not making excuses for Burrows but...

I'm pretty sure Burrows is not the only person to say repugnant things.

He still thinks about it years later?  Guess Burr did his job as a pest then.  Pretty sure worse has been said and will continue to be said.  But by all means,make a huge deal out of it all of you from the all saints team, I'm sure you are all morally superior and have squeaky clean souls.

4 hours ago, etsen3 said:

In fact given that the biggest group of hockey fans is white upper middle class Canadian dudes, we're probably less prone to hardship than the vast majority of the world.  

So in other words, 'check your privilege'.

I guess us 'privileged' white folks cant understand being poor or abused, because of some perception that isn't even accurate.

You want to give O'Sullivan a blanky? Wub his tummy? 

News flash : O'Sullivan doesn't give a $&!#, he is using Burrows to hype up his book and make more $$$$. In today's butthurt society,  being a professional victim pays.

If he was truly offended way back then, nothing was stopping him from calling Burrows out man to man and settling it.

Nope, gotta head straight to the media a decade later. 

Let's be honest,  folks. If I could only buy one hockey biography book this year, it sure as hell wouldn't be Patrick O'Sullivan's. I might, MAYBE be convinced to buy it if I knew it had a juicy story involving Alex Burrows. Maybe.

4 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

If he was truly offended way back then, nothing was stopping him from calling Burrows out man to man and settling it.

Right, because Burrows would "man up" and put up his dukes like he always does.

I actually feel sort of sorry for Burr. He is approaching the end of his career and when he finally does hang them up there will be a very few fans of his (most of whom are defending him here in this thread) who will be sad but the other 99.9% of hockey fans will basically be saying "good riddance to bad rubbish". Nobody outside of Vancouver will remember his positive accomplishments.

Archived