The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Burrows wasn't in the OHL, he was in the Quebec Major Junior League.  He also didn't speak english very well at the time.  How does he know?

Burrows wasn't at the draft.  He was undrafted, slaving away in the basement leagues.

Word gets around, people talk. A juicy story will always find an audience. When the #1 pick in the OHL draft gets dragged off the team bus by his dad, gets into a fist fight and then makes it a police matter. It's big enough news that the whole CHL knows about it.

The draft is televised. Is it that hard to imagine Bob McKenzie or Pierre McGuire saying something about his situation in passing. He did fall to the mid 2nd round. After being projected higher.

5 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

I remember saying I bet Burrows crossed the line with Tootoo and Deb came in heavily defending Burrows. Looking forward to see what she says here. I have a Burrows jersey hanging up beside me right now but that doesn't mean he's a saint who can do no wrong. He's obviously earned the reputation of a trash-talker who crosses the line.

It also means there are two sides to every story. 

He's earned a reputation and, with that, there are likely things said to spur him on as people will try to exploit that.  Not saying he's a saint.....just that there ARE always two sides to stories.  You have rivals and heated on ice enemies making claims and it becomes a witch hunt if you just run with that and let it generate momentum (if it's unfounded or exaggerated).  People cry wolf.

So where did the Tootoo thing go?  Deb didn't decide, the league did.  So his "reputation" in that alleged incident had many of you screaming that he crossed the line but it was clearly .... nothing and untrue.  The league would not have ignored it if it wasn't, bet your bottom dollar on that.  So my defending him actually was justified while others acted on "his reputation" and crucified him.  I won't do that.

So Burr skated by O'Sullivan and just blurted this out?  Or was there more to this?  It's horrible what this guy endured but I want to know what was said and how it was in context.  We obviously have someone with a lot of scars and emotional baggage here who is also selling his book/story.

I feel nothing but absolute empathy and pain in hearing the abuse that he had to contend with.  That doesn't make him a saint either.

Did YOU not learn last time someone pointed at Burr that we have to wait to see what unfolds?  To find the truth that's probably somewhere in the middle?  You should have.

4 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

There's good humor and bad humor.  This might have been bad humor.  But i'm more upset about the hair pulling and biting.  THAT was low.

Let's be clear about the biting...

Bergeron shoved his glove in Burrows face and jammed it into Burrows mouth pushing the corner of his mouth back and stretching the skin.

If you have experienced that, you know it is very painful.

Burrows bites his finger through the glove... no damage done, but Bergeron pulls his hand back and stops with the face stretching.

I would have done the same.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Word gets around, people talk. A juicy story will always find an audience. When the #1 pick in the OHL draft gets dragged off the team bus by his dad, gets into a fist fight and then makes it a police matter. It's big enough news that the whole CHL knows about it.

The draft is televised. Is it that hard to imagine Bob McKenzie or Pierre McGuire saying something about his situation in passing. He did fall to the mid 2nd round. After being projected higher.

Here we have the same as has been spewed out on this thread ad infinitum.... pure speculation and imagination.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

He's earned a reputation and, with that, there are likely things said to spur him on as people will try to exploit that.  Not saying he's a saint.....just that there ARE always two sides to stories.  You have rivals and heated on ice enemies making claims and it becomes a witch hunt if you just run with that and let it generate momentum (if it's unfounded or exaggerated). 

So where did the Tootoo thing go?  Deb didn't decide, the league did.  So his "reputation" in that alleged incident had many of you screaming that he crossed the line but it was clearly .... nothing and untrue.  The league would not have ignored it if it wasn't, bet your bottom dollar on that.  So my defending him actually was justified while others acted on "his reputation" and crucified him.  I won't do that.

So Burr skated by O'Sullivan and just blurted this out?  Or was there more to this?  It's horrible what this guy endured but I want to know what was said and how it was in context.  We obviously have someone with a lot of scars and emotional baggage here who is also selling his book/story.

I feel nothing but absolute empathy and pain in hearing the abuse that he had to contend with.  That doesn't make him a saint either.

guys  trying to sell a book  needs to increase  peoples shock value   i dont buy it  randomly blurts this out a few yrs after the fact give me a break 

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Bergeron shoved his glove in Burrows face and jammed it into Burrows mouth pushing the corner of his mouth back and stretching the skin.

Burrows bites his finger through the glove... no damage done, but Bergeron pulls his hand back and stops with the face stretching.

Full admission, i bit somebody.  I'm not proud.  But I was in grade one.

What's Burrows' excuse?  The glove thing?  I'm not buying it.  But it's like 5 years ago now.

By the way, when was the O'Sullivan thing?  Isn't that guy long retired?  I guess he's trying to sell books now?

10 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yeah, right, because players bite each other all the time in the NHL...

Smells like a witch-hunt to me.

Burrows spoke out against the system. Our team has always backed him, to a point that he almost stands as a team-symbol of our recent 'glorious President's-run' yrs.

Now our team's sliding & down, so they all start kicking. Makes me even wonder whether NHL HQ's truly dislikes our ownership.

Love hockey..but I'm really starting to HATE the NHL(in terms of an organization). More gossip-bullsh** that teen girls in jr HS hallways.

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He's earned a reputation and, with that, there are likely things said to spur him on as people will try to exploit that.  Not saying he's a saint.....just that there ARE always two sides to stories.  You have rivals and heated on ice enemies making claims and it becomes a witch hunt if you just run with that and let it generate momentum (if it's unfounded or exaggerated).  People cry wolf.

Did YOU not learn last time someone pointed at Burr that we have to wait to see what unfolds?  To find the truth that's probably somewhere in the middle?  You should have.

Except that is somewhat flawed logic. Just because the league couldn't find enough evidence or did and chose not to pursue it doesn't mean it didn't happen. How many time have you complained about how poor and inconsistent the league is?

I'm not saying I know what did or didn't happen but the point is no one truly does (other than the people on the ice). I do agree there is usually at least two sides to these type of things and likely little is as black and white as many make out.

If Burrows has nothing to hide, why doesn't he just tell us what he said to Tootoo and O'Sullivan? If someone is making accusations that I said this or that and it wasn't true, you can be assured I would be responding verbatim to what I said to them to clear the air.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Smells like a witch-hunt to me.

Burrows spoke out against the system. Our team has always backed him, to a point that he almost stands as a team-symbol of our recent 'glorious President's-run' yrs.

Now our team's sliding & down, so they all start kicking. Makes me even wonder whether NHL HQ's truly dislikes our ownership.

Love hockey..but I'm really starting to HATE the NHL(in terms of an organization). More gossip-bullsh** that teen girls in jr HS hallways.

a couple of comments - hardly a witch hunt.

16 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Except that is somewhat flawed logic. Just because the league couldn't find enough evidence or did and chose not to pursue it doesn't mean it didn't happen. How many time have you complained about how poor and inconsistent the league is?

I'm not saying I know what did or didn't happen but the point is no one truly does (other than the people on the ice). I do agree there is usually at least two sides to these type of things and likely little is as black and white as many make out.

The league has never found reason to go lightly on Burr so them not finding anything means there likely wasn't much to find.  My complaining about inconsistency is irrelevant because that's all it is...me complaining.  And if you check my recent past, I've actually been commenting on how things seem to have leveled out and are better.  For some time now?  So people like to glom and hang onto things, at times, for longer than they should.

We have to go on what the league "found" or didn't find in settling this (Tootoo) matter in putting it to rest.  And someone was arguing that I stood firmly beside Burr (vs Tootoo)...with that, I believe you have to give me (and him) the benefit of the doubt now. 

As a mod, I take a lot of heat (too) but what people say about me isn't always so just because they say it.  Hey, someone made a false claim about me warning them in this thread but if you were able to delve into their warn history you'd see it wasn't at all true.  AND that I'd actually reduced their warning points upon request once.  So sometimes you have to scratch beyond the surface and what people throw out there to get the real deal.  Don't just accept it all as truth because "reputation" or hearsay - decide for yourself in an informed way. 

29 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

There's good humor and bad humor.  This might have been bad humor.  But i'm more upset about the hair pulling and biting.  THAT was low.

In context, it wasn't that bad.......maybe the hair pull was an eye-opener but I'll take biting fingers shoved in my mouth so I can't breathe any day of the week. Nothing low about that at all.......it's called 'survival'. Nothing upsetting about that in the slightest. Methinks you're being a little sensitive.

20 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

Full admission, i bit somebody.  I'm not proud.  But I was in grade one.

What's Burrows' excuse?  The glove thing?  I'm not buying it.  But it's like 5 years ago now.

By the way, when was the O'Sullivan thing?  Isn't that guy long retired?  I guess he's trying to sell books now?

You stick your hand / glove in our around my mouth. Yo ass is getting bit.

24 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:
15 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Here we have the same as has been spewed out on this thread ad infinitum.... pure speculation and imagination.

Burrows wasn't in the OHL, he was in the Quebec Major Junior League.  He also didn't speak english very well at the time.  How does he know?

And this isn't pure speculation and imagination? O'Sullivan was the #1 pick in the OHL and was on his way to becoming Rookie of the Year in the entire CHL, playing for a team located just outside of Toronto.

It's news in the entire CHL.

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The league has never found reason to go lightly on Burr so them not finding anything means there likely wasn't much to find.  My complaining about inconsistency is irrelevant because that's all it is...me complaining.  And if you check my recent past, I've actually been commenting on how things seem to have leveled out and are better.  For some time now?  So people like to glom and hang onto things, at times, for longer than they should.

We have to go on what the league "found" or didn't find in settling this (Tootoo) matter in putting it to rest.  And someone was arguing that I stood firmly beside Burr (vs Tootoo)...with that, I believe you have to give me (and him) the benefit of the doubt now. 

Agreed. In the end, if these things about Burr are in fact true, in the end, he is the one that has to live with it.  Above all, I always find it weird on here how so many seem to act like they know what did or didn't happen (not your post) or defend a player as if somehow it is a presonal slight to them as well.

Burrows cracks under pressure causing irreversible damage to the team during game time and his reputation. Everytime he gets caught up in the situation, Burrows literally has a brainfart and costs the team dearly. Now for him to take it to a personal level and become a taunter instead of a goalie haunter then its time to move his salary and start fresh with somebody we can groom and hope can handle the pressure.

Archived