The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

2 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Yes, end of discussion until the next repugnant statement that he has made becomes public. Unless anyone believes that this was a one time thing?? Aren't we all looking forward to the book by the Sedins after they retire!

Define repugnant. Thing is it's subjective. What someone finds tasteless/classless will be something others do not. We can talk about what is trash talk and what isn't and agree to disagree. So unless we're going to ban trash talk, which is impossible, it's a reality of the game every player has to deal with and therefore really not worth complaining about.

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:
10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Define repugnant. Thing is it's subjective. What someone finds tasteless/classless will be something others do not. We can talk about what is trash talk and what isn't and agree to disagree. So unless we're going to ban trash talk, which is impossible, it's a reality of the game every player has to deal with and therefore really not worth complaining about.

As, so you are on of those people. So, a racial slur, an homophobic slur, I would say most people don't find it acceptable (i.e. find it repugnant) and the league cracks down on it but to you, it's just good old trash talk. I would say parental abuse fits in with racial slurs and homophobic slurs. But to you, it's just good old trash talk. Do you feel very lonely in the world? Like no one understands you? Do we agree to disagree on this: Burrows is classless and has always been. He has a reputation amongst all other players and referees- they hear what he says too and see what he does. And that reputation carries over to the entire organization for putting up with this (and yes this includes his long time linemates).

58 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Let's be honest,  folks. If I could only buy one hockey biography book this year, it sure as hell wouldn't be Patrick O'Sullivan's. I might, MAYBE be convinced to buy it if I knew it had a juicy story involving Alex Burrows. Maybe.

How do you know there is a story of that incident in the book? The only thing I took from POS's twitter post is that he does not like Burrows.

42 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

As, so you are on of those people. So, a racial slur, an homophobic slur, I would say most people don't find it acceptable (i.e. find it repugnant) and the league cracks down on it but to you, it's just good old trash talk. I would say parental abuse fits in with racial slurs and homophobic slurs. But to you, it's just good old trash talk. Do you feel very lonely in the world? Like no one understands you? Do we agree to disagree on this: Burrows is classless and has always been. He has a reputation amongst all other players and referees- they hear what he says too and see what he does. And that reputation carries over to the entire organization for putting up with this (and yes this includes his long time linemates).

It's a battle out there and people can get emotional, Burr admitted he said those words and many other things to keep his job in the NHL, Burr literally dig deeper and clawed his way to the NHL.

- johnGarrett- what he said, my summer

32 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Again, all subjective. "I think", "I would say..". Just because you think this is on par with racial or homophobic slurs doesn't mean I think they're comparable nor did I say I think those things are "good old trash talk." You're welcome to demonize the guy for a comment made about decade ago but I'm not going to. It's petty, it's ancient history. And he apologized for it already. But if your safe space has been invaded, perhaps golf is more your sport.

9 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

It's a battle out there and people can get emotional, Burr admitted he said those words and many other things to keep his job in the NHL, Burr literally dig deeper and clawed his way to the NHL.

- johnGarrett- what he said, my summer

And that makes it OK to you? Like i said, do you feel sometimes like people don't understand you, like you are the only smart one in a world of idots?

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

And that makes it OK to you? Like i said, do you feel sometimes like people don't understand you, like you are the only smart one in a world of idots?

You are the smart one in this not me, you could even say hating someone is considered a murder, and I would agree.

However, I don't think this is a world of idiots, but people slaves of fear.

56 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Are you the second coming of Christ? I highly doubt you lived you life without making a terrible comment you regretted. Just give it rest. Yeah the team is so embarrassed they put an A on his chest. Guess A stand for A-hole. You know what else is classless. Judging people. Who the hell are you. Do you crusade every day of you life against these issues. Have you written a book about respect. Yeah right. Your a nobody who is just tries to validate himself by jumping on bandwagons. This years wagon just happens to be I Hate Burrows.  

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

Do you feel misunderstood some days, like the world is stupid and you are the only smart one around? How does that feel?

Why do you ask a question you know the answer to?  Plenty of my generation were beaten by our dads.  It was an accepted part of growing up.  When the kid fights back the dad stopped, just like in the O'Sullivan circumstance.

You would have to be a fool to defend his comments. I don't think anyone is. It is pretty obvious though that this place is comprised of two types of people. Honest human beings who, like Burrows, are imperfect and have made mistakes.Then there are the hypocrites who are so weak in character they judge others as a way of feigning some false morality. I call bull$%$% on the lot of you. 

Words only have as much power as the recipient gives them. If O'Sullivan was an adult and not a baby he would've let Burrows waste his breath then beaten him where it matters....on the ice! This isn't about the abuse, of course that's terribly traumatic, goes without saying. It's about a guy having hurt feelings because an NHL opponent knew how to strike a nerve with the guy and it worked! If this kind of comment has bothered O'Sullivan for several years, maybe he should ask Santa Claus for a backbone for Christmas. This is hockey! Not a tea party!

41 minutes ago, C.Schneider said:

Man, imagine if someone said something about Pyatt's fiancee while he was playing for the Nucks.  

This board would have erupted calling for a lynching.  

But, Burrows says something and its nothing personal but a job well done as a pest.

This. Hell there's a fresh hate thread on this board about Ratboy where his trashtalk against the Canucks is relatively G rated and is actually pretty funny (which jibes with my theory that super funny trashtalk is far more effective at knocking the opposition off their game than hateful garbage).

One thing is for sure: the Hockey Gods are punishing Burrows tonight for his transgressions: bad penalty, a sure goal taken away by Howard and now an embarrassing minus. BTW whose idiotic idea was it to give this guy the "A" over, say, Hansen who epitomizes leadership about 1000% more than Burrows. Or Edler.

Two questions: was it common knowledge that O'Sullivan's old man used to beat the crap out of him? Or is it more likely that Burr stumbled onto O'Sullivan's daddy issues by saying something like "Who's your daddy, I'm your daddy." O'Sullivan reacted, and Burr knew he'd stumbled onto the secret for getting him off his game. Burrows, a marginally talented player makes millions of dollars a year to get under the skin of guys on the other team. You think he does that by telling momma jokes? Just like every player of his ilk, he finds the soft spots and digs into them. If Crosby finds that he can undress a rookie defender with a certain move, should he stop making that move because it's unfair?

Second, when did hockey players become such panty waists? I mean seriously, if somebody's chirping you react by playing better and they'll stop. React by taking a swing or a stupid penalty and they'll own you. I don't care if his father used to beat him, he made it to the show, and got paid a lot of money to play the game. All's fair as long as he doesn't break the rules. Stop being a little b---h. I'm sure there are a lot of guys in the league who hate Burr, it's why he has been so good at his job.

Archived