The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Trade R.Miller to San Jose

SilentSam

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I don't know if the issue would be Benning so much as Aquaman. How many players is he willing to pay not to play for the Canucks?

IMO, if it means better assets coming back and a chance to improve the team faster and a better shot at a cup down the line....he'd be fine. Cost of doing business.

But who knows. I'm not in his head.

Just now, J.R. said:

IMO, if it means better assets coming back and a chance to improve the team faster and a better shot at a cup down the line....he'd be fine. Cost of doing business.

I'd like to think that way but I don't know if Aqua's quite on board with that. We're gonna find out soon enough though.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Why not? We have lots of cap space next year. But IMO, that would mean better assets coming back.

I agree.  Eating a good chunk of Miller's salary would make him tradable.  It wouldn't bring a great return, but if Benning could find another GM willing, he could garner a decent return.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'd like to think that way but I don't know if Aqua's quite on board with that. We're gonna find out soon enough though.

We might not. Benning might still be stuck on having a "veteran presence in net" next season.

Honestly, this is why I wish we'd just gone with Lack/Markstrom and spent some money on D. We were losing this year anyway, may as well have gotten younger and added some D depth.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Even though I would still be shocked if any team traded for him at 6 mill/yr., I've most likely been a bit harsh on him this season.  I had the advantage of watching him play his best hockey in Buffalo, which is most likely why I get so frustrated watching him play now.  With a better than average defence, you're right, he'd probably be somewhere in the middle of the rankings.  His salary is what makes him not worth trading for.  I was looking at the cap space of each team in the league this morning.  With the exception of a few, most teams aren't in a position to take on that kind of salary unless they dump salary in a separate trade with some other team.

There's a big difference from a Miller type versus a Reimer // Bernier type. The leafs probably have a comparable defence to us as well lol.

Also honestly speaking our defence is terrible..
Edler and Tanev are the only 2 legit top 4 dmen right now. Hutton is great but on his first year hes not dependable and Hamhuis is either injured or playing lackluster then add on Sbisa being actually good this year but now injury prone. Fill the rest of the holes with depth dmen such as Weber // Bartowski // Biega... :| Essentially we are playing four 6//7 slot defencemen in our lineup while having Tanev + Edler playing top 2 when they are better suited at a great second pairing.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

We might not. Benning might still be stuck on having a "veteran presence in net" next season.

Honestly, this is why I wish we'd just gone with Lack/Markstrom and spent some money on D. We were losing this year anyway, may as well have gotten younger and added some D depth.

I like how our goaltending is playing this season so I'd say that withstanding hindsight I agree with Bennings decision. Our problem is 100% not Miller / Markstrom.

Benning should keep Miller next year and try to split the time 50/50 with Markstrom playing against stiffer competition. Better to groom a starter aka Schneider rather than throw him into the wolves aka Bernier lol.

1 minute ago, goblix said:

There's a big difference from a Miller type versus a Reimer // Bernier type. The leafs probably have a comparable defence to us as well lol.

Also honestly speaking our defence is terrible..
Edler and Tanev are the only 2 legit top 4 dmen right now. Hutton is great but on his first year hes not dependable and Hamhuis is either injured or playing lackluster then add on Sbisa being actually good this year but now injury prone. Fill the rest of the holes with depth dmen such as Weber // Bartowski // Biega... :| Essentially we are playing four 6//7 slot defencemen in our lineup while having Tanev + Edler playing top 2 when they are better suited at a great second pairing.

That defence with its current lack of depth won't get the Canucks into the playoffs with an average goalie.  I've been saying it for over a season now, the Canucks need to move on from the twins.  They would garner one heck of a return and would seriously speed up any rebuild.  But this is a thread about Miller.

13 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. You think Ryan Miller could fetch Brent Burns?

They wont be able to keep Burns, he will play into UFA and the Sharks will lose any opportunity to keep him. Players and Management on that Club have no healthy relationship, thats obvious from the outbursts last Summer. I highly doubt to see Burns there next year.

this might be an opportunity.

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

They wont be able to keep Burns, he will play into UFA and the Sharks will lose any opportunity to keep him. Players and Management on that Club have no healthy relationship, thats obvious from the outbursts last Summer. I highly doubt to see Burns there next year.

Oh you're just kidding lol. Thought you were serious at first sorry. 

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Miller is worth NOTHING! sorry to be the Baer (he's worthless too) of bad news.:(

32 minutes ago, goblix said:

I like how our goaltending is playing this season so I'd say that withstanding hindsight I agree with Bennings decision. Our problem is 100% not Miller / Markstrom.

Benning should keep Miller next year and try to split the time 50/50 with Markstrom playing against stiffer competition. Better to groom a starter aka Schneider rather than throw him into the wolves aka Bernier lol.

Never said they were part of the problem. We're just not winning games either way so I would have preferred looking forward by picking up depth on D and going with a younger squad.

A guy like McQuaid etc would have had our D looking a lot less terrifying the last month or so, made us younger and harder to play against and given additional NHL quality depth. Probably still wouldn't be winning a ton but we'd be less of a tire fire to watch.  

Just now, J.R. said:

Never said they were part of the problem. We're just not winning games wither way so I would have preferred looking forward by picking up depth on D and going with a younger squad.

A guy like McQuaid etc would have had our D looking a lot less terrifying the last month or so, made us younger and harder to play against and given additional NHL quality depth. Probably still wouldn't be winning a ton but we'd be less of a tire fire to watch.  

I hear the need for youth, goaltending is different than the overall roster though. I'd rather have clear competent goaltending with a clear concise plan of succession rather than have two young and unproven goalies back there.

With teams like Leafs and Edmonton showing consistently how hard it is to get a young goalie to perform like a starter under pressure and scrutiny and it's clear that you need a proper system and a proper succession plan to allow the goalie to earn the limelight. 

With Lack and Markstrom in net I could easily see them floundering like Reimer and Bernier or Dubnyk and Scrivens and I would not want to see that happen to either of them.

11 hours ago, drsofthands said:

how are some people so dumb

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure. Maybe you can speak from experience and let us know?

I think DrSoftHands was hidden under the sheets with his flashlight when he made that comment... preoccupied.

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

You obviously see a TEAM or some kind of DEFENCE in front of him.. I dont...  maybe your mother poked you in the eyeballs with her fork at every breakfast, perhaps all you survived on was the toe jam you could suck from your toes,. and perhaps like Kaitlyn Jennings, you are now unhappy with some life decisions you have made.

touch'e or (2-shay) ?  Who said Mr Outstanding?  ... must be you..  he has played outstanding for us.

Yes "outstanding"...except for the one bad goal he lets in just about every single game.

29 minutes ago, thema said:

Yes "outstanding"...except for the one bad goal he lets in just about every single game.

.. You mean the ones which are usually associated with a bow tied giveaway? ... Its become a contest now to guess what defenceman will offer "pizza" within the first 5 mins...  Come to think of it, The Canucks have had a better deal for "Pizza" than Pizza Hut, the Nuck Hut can order up in less than 5 mins. !!

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. You mean the ones which are usually associated with a bow tied giveaway? ... Its become a contest now to guess what defenceman will offer "pizza" within the first 5 mins...  Come to think of it, The Canucks have had a better deal for "Pizza" than Pizza Hut, the Nuck Hut can order up in less than 5 mins. !!

No actually I mean the ones where even super-homer former Canuck goalie John Garrett says "that's a bad goal" or "there's one he'd like to have back". The frustrating part is that it usually happens right after a terrific save or in a game where he is otherwise awesome. Kind of like Luongo actually...

Archived