The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Home Matinee Games?

Roberts

3 hours ago, Roberts said:

Yes but most people don't want to stay overnight in a hotel and they cost a lot of money, it's just more simple to go to a matinee game.

I realize there's an extra cost with the hotel and it's not cheap to begin with, but it really isn't simpler for the NHL to rework a schedule so there can be more matinee games so people on the island can go home after.

The Canucks can request the NHL for matinee home games every Sunday at 2 or 3pm, giving the Islanders Canucks fans enough time to get home.    I noticed that Canucks has 6pm start for every Sunday home games.   Positive thing about matinees that the team can recover for their next game, whether by travelling back to back for Monday or whatever that is.   I do not want to give Eastern teams an advantage with early afternoon starts.   Maybe games against Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Oilers, Coyotes, and Flames would be perfect for matinee games as they do not have get any advantage unlike the Central/Eastern teams except ability to get home early than the late night flights.   I feel that matinee is ok for regular season games but not for the playoffs. 

fans from the island are pretty far down the list of parties the nhl is focused on accommodating in the vancouver market. 

-sponsors

-broadcasters

-board of governors

-nhlpa

-ownership

-management

-players

-fans from vancouver

-fans from the rest of the lower mainland

-fans from the rest of bc (including the island)

On 12/20/2015 at 1:05 PM, Roberts said:

I live on Vancouver Island and don't get many chances to go to Canucks games and the only real chance to go to a game is if its a matinee game but this year there isn't any at all and last season there was only 1. There really should be more matinee home games for Canucks so fans who live near can go as well.

The league sets the schedule dates the team sets the start times. They're likely less concerned about fans attending as a day trip than they are TV revenue. Early afternoon start times don't typically get as big TV audience. Higher ratings means higher revenue for the network and higher revenue for the network means higher revenue for the team (regional) or NHL (national).

Usually if it's an early start time for a home game it's because of a request from a network or the visiting team. An example being Leafs games here on Saturday always start at 4pm instead of 7pm. It's in the Canucks own interest to have the earlier start as the Leafs are the biggest ratings draw in Canada. Ratings = dollars. I'd wager those dollars far outweigh what they get selling a couple of extra tickets to somebody that doesn't want to spring for a hotel room.

On 12/21/2015 at 10:52 PM, linden17 said:

this^ but it drives me up the fricken wall that a saturday night game in vancouver is at four just to please the bloody leafs fans out east. id fricken be stoked if i could start watching a game at ten at night on a saturday. oh well.....the leafs will always come first no matter what when it comes to broadcasting...just sucks that its so obvious. why dont the canadiens or senators get that four pm start?

Because the leafs draw the largest audience of any Canadian team and higher ratings mean higher revenue. The Canucks have always granted the earlier start time for the Leafs because they understand how ratings affect revenue.

Just so you know, it's the home team that decides the start time of regular season games. Visiting teams or networks can request a different start time but it's entirely up to the home team whether they will or not.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Because the leafs draw the largest audience of any Canadian team and higher ratings mean higher revenue. The Canucks have always granted the earlier start time for the Leafs because they understand how ratings affect revenue.

Just so you know, it's the home team that decides the start time of regular season games. Visiting teams or networks can request a different start time but it's entirely up to the home team whether they will or not.

noooo say it isnt so. if thats true i just lost some respect for my canucks. damn

I live on the island as well, and I will be going to the Leafs game on February. I suggest don't drive to Vancouver (leave your car at the Ferry Terminal on the island) and take the 620 bus from the Twassen Ferry Terminal then a couple of sky trains you will be at Rogers Arena. Leave pretty much right after the game and take the sky trains back to the Bridge Port sky train station (got to get there BEFORE 8:00 PM) and you will be on time to take the night bus back to the Ferry Terminal and take the latest ferry back to the island. If you drive there, there is a good chance you might get stuck in traffic with your own car.

On 12/21/2015 at 10:21 AM, Roberts said:

Yes but most people don't want to stay overnight in a hotel and they cost a lot of money, it's just more simple to go to a matinee game.

But, but, but, staying overnight would get you off the Island longer! ^_^

Mildly kidding.  I know it's nice in many parts, and your home is home.  But I went to UVIC for a while, and hated being on the Island for the most part.  For me, it's a nice place to visit, but that's all.

I hate matinee games, personally.  I'm less excited about the game at that time of day, and the team seems to be a bit lethargic as well.  I wonder what their record is for matinee games (home and away).  

But, I can't blame a fan for wanting better chances to get to games!  I'm sure I would feel like you if I were in your shoes.

I do see your points but at the same time, when I went to a matinee game last season against the Wild (which was my first Canucks game) I went on the ferry over to Vancouver and seriously the ferry was filled with Canucks fans. I just think they should have atleast 1 matinee game a season to give at least some people a chance to go and get back the same day.

23 hours ago, Baggins said:

Because they want to maximize revenue? lmao

yes actually. its kind of inconvenient to rush to see a game on a saturday. i could care less about the toronto fans back east and so should the cauncks if it means an early start on a saturday. lots of people have things to do on their weekends. do the Canucks get money for the more views the games get? how does it increase revenue? im being serious when i ask this

19 minutes ago, linden17 said:

yes actually. its kind of inconvenient to rush to see a game on a saturday. i could care less about the toronto fans back east and so should the cauncks if it means an early start on a saturday. lots of people have things to do on their weekends. do the Canucks get money for the more views the games get? how does it increase revenue? im being serious when i ask this

This is really quite simple. What networks can charge advertisers is based on TV ratings. The larger the audience the more a network can charge advertisers. The more the network makes the more the NHL can charge for the broadcast rights. National revenue is shared equally by every team, regional revenue goes directly to that team. Thus it's in every teams best interest to accommodate what networks request. Several million viewers are more important than the few that see it as an inconvenience.

Needs_zps7oxrt2in.jpg

57 minutes ago, Baggins said:

This is really quite simple. What networks can charge advertisers is based on TV ratings. The larger the audience the more a network can charge advertisers. The more the network makes the more the NHL can charge for the broadcast rights. National revenue is shared equally by every team, regional revenue goes directly to that team. Thus it's in every teams best interest to accommodate what networks request. Several million viewers are more important than the few that see it as an inconvenience.

Needs_zps7oxrt2in.jpg

k makes sense. you would however think that if montreal came in here they would make it on saturday night too being how they have a pretty big following. im not arguing with you as youve made legit sense. i find it funny how it seems to ge toronto all the time on saturdays. montreal visiting vancouver isnt always a saturday or sunday game and maybe they should be too, no?

2 hours ago, linden17 said:

k makes sense. you would however think that if montreal came in here they would make it on saturday night too being how they have a pretty big following. im not arguing with you as youve made legit sense. i find it funny how it seems to ge toronto all the time on saturdays. montreal visiting vancouver isnt always a saturday or sunday game and maybe they should be too, no?

Montreal's biggest following watches the games on the french channel. TO gets more Saturday games than any other team because they draw the highest audience/ratings. As much as there are some local fans that hate the earlier start Canuck fans out of province love the earlier start as opposed to staying up till 1am.

I did some reading on this after all the cries about that first meeting against Boston the season after the scf. If you remember it was a 10am start here and CBC didn't carry the game. CBC had sent a request to the Bruins requesting a 7pm eastern start and the Bruins declined. Their local broadcaster was carrying the game (money directly into their pocket) and wanted the earlier start because a later time may conflict with NFL playoffs with the Patriots being a contender. Hockey can't compete with the NFL in the US. So CBC chose not to carry the game because games that early traditionally draw a very poor audience. Sportsnet carried the game and it drew the largest audience ever for a Canucks game on Sportsnet and CBC was flooded with complaints for not carrying the game nationally. CBC said afterwards they had underestimated how much interest there would be in the rematch and they should have carried the game.

Start times are all about money and the ratings.

Archived