The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Dustin Byfuglien

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am actually really bullish on Benning's overall strategy and I can see how all of his moves - even the ones that maybe have not worked out as we hoped - are moving us toward a better future. 

The one negative last year and this year (admittedly so far only) is not realizing trade value on expiring contracts. I think unless you have a team built to make some noise in the playoffs - which this team has unfortunately clearly not shown a capability to do in its current form - you take advantage of more picks and prospects rather than losing UFA players for nothing. Benning is a good scout for talent at the draft. More kicks at that can could get the rebuild going even faster. 

So I am not negative about our direction, just asset management in that one area.

Yet your acknowledgement of Benning's strengths, direction, and intentions not to mention general common sense regarding UFAs debunk your very feelings.

Amazing how a few losses create such a negative atmosphere of hopelessness that rationality and perspective are lost as it's "all aboard the Titanic, nowhere to go but dowwwwwwn."

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If the Rangers cannot re-sign him they may look to move him. I would expect they would've looking for a return that could at least partially replace what he brings though that is cheaper and/or has term left.

Possible but not common for a playoff team

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I hope you are right. I just don't know if Benning or the Canucks behind the scenes want to admit that we aren't going to make the playoffs. I am not sure what our odds actually are at this point but unless we fall off a cliff and have basically no chance I would not be surprised to see us hang on to Hamhuis, Vrbat, etc. 

Again, I really hope I am wrong.

We have to be out of it or I agree no one is getting traded if there is a decent shot at making the playoffs hamhuis will be a canuck and probably have his rights traded in the offseason for a 3rd round pick.

34 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I hope you are right. I just don't know if Benning or the Canucks behind the scenes want to admit that we aren't going to make the playoffs. I am not sure what our odds actually are at this point but unless we fall off a cliff and have basically no chance I would not be surprised to see us hang on to Hamhuis, Vrbat, etc. 

Again, I really hope I am wrong.

No one can know what people are deciding 'behind the scenes.' That's why it's called that. I think that it can be reasonably measured that their biases are no more likely to stop them from seeing what we can see than ours is, including having information that we don't. It's logical to assume that they  are able to make the tough choices when the time comes. All evidence points to this. 

The only reason that Hammer won't get dealt is that Edler is instead and he's re-signed, as HW points out, or the offers are so insultingly low that accepting one would hurt both our trade negotiating positions in the future and Hamhuis' FA value to our benefit.

OTOH, I think that Hamhuis' trade value, with an extension and possible retention, will be so worthwhile that we will not be able to pass that up. 

We are going to push for the playoffs until we are mathematically eliminated but we won't cut our nose off to spite our face. I don't believe that. All signs point the other way for me. 

16 minutes ago, mpt said:

Good, Hammer's value now went up.

Looks like Ladd is Vancouver bound (hope he comes cheap; not a huge fan)

I want a 3yearsx5M type of contract give or take a year and half a million for him if he is coming. Lucic if he comes does mean we have a legit top6 for the first time in a while.

Sedins burrows

Ladd Sutter Lucic

Virtanen Horvat Baertschi

Dorsett Vey  Hansen

Decent forward group but we still need to fix the defense.

6 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

One guy on hf board said yandle or hamhuis. Still we should be able to catch a 2nd + decent prospect. 

Do you think Benning publicly stating he's not trading Hammer, is a plan to get other GMs to call and ask, thus increasing value?  I really think Hammer, Vrbata, Hansen, and maybe even Tanev get traded.  At least I'm hoping.:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

I want a 3yearsx5M type of contract give or take a year and half a million for him if he is coming. Lucic if he comes does mean we have a legit top6 for the first time in a while.

Sedins burrows

Ladd Sutter Lucic

Virtanen Horvat Baertschi

Dorsett Vey  Hansen

Decent forward group but we still need to fix the defense.

Definitely not both, god no

1 minute ago, theminister said:

No. Not once. 

Do you remember last week's TV interview?  I thought he said they were not looking at moving UFAs currently on their roster?  He said they are still looking for a trade for Prust, but not the guys on the Canucks.  

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

The only reason that Hammer won't get dealt is that Edler is instead and he's re-signed, as HW points out, or the offers are so insultingly low that accepting one would hurt both our trade negotiating positions in the future and Hamhuis' FA value to our benefit.

OTOH, I think that Hamhuis' trade value, with an extension and possible retention, will be so worthwhile that we will not be able to pass that up. 

We are going to push for the playoffs until we are mathematically eliminated but we won't cut our nose off to spite our face. I don't believe that. All signs point the other way for me. 

That's the other possibility, alright -- that offers for Hamhuis are less than he's worth to us.  But considering how the market for top-4 rental D is drying up quickly, plus the fact that Hamhuis looked outstanding on Saturday (skated better than he has all year; maybe the time off healed up some other lingering injuries) means that we could see a VERY tidy return.  As with Vrbata, an extension in place coupled with salary retention could be HUGE.

And yes, Benning and company will of course say their aim is for the playoffs until mathematically eliminated, but they aren't dummies.  If they're 10+ points back by the TDL (currently 6) they aren't going to be trading for a playoff push.  I'd say that they are at least as realistic as we are, that they recognize the team albeit fully healthy does not appear to have what it takes to get the job done.  Still three weeks to go, but it won't take even that long to decide, and they almost certainly already have.

Just now, Alflives said:

Do you remember last week's TV interview?  I thought he said they were not looking at moving UFAs currently on their roster?  He said they are still looking for a trade for Prust, but not the guys on the Canucks.  

Quote and source. 

Back up that claim. 

All he said was, "he's a big part of our team" meaning they aren't giving him away. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you think Benning publicly stating he's not trading Hammer, is a plan to get other GMs to call and ask, thus increasing value?  I really think Hammer, Vrbata, Hansen, and maybe even Tanev get traded.  At least I'm hoping.:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, theminister said:

No, he hasn't. Not once. 

File this with his "Pedan's problem since his draft year has been his skating" trollbait.

Just now, theminister said:

Quote and source. 

Back up that claim. 

All he said was, "he's a big part of our team" meaning they aren't giving him away. 

It's all inference.  One person reads JB won't trade the UFAs, and another interprets he's open to trading them.  I am of the former, and you are of the latter.  Although with the Buff signing there has to be a BIG market for Hammer.  

If he's traded, what can we expect in return?  Bowey?

Archived