The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Avalanche

Boddy604

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

McCann sitting again.  He hasn't played centre since before the break.

Obviously Vey's good play is keeping him in the press box.  I hope Willie doesn't forget he's supposed to be developing him.  Does he need to get called to the office for a little chat?

Seriously, Vey is making a case for sticking around.  This could mean that McCann spends some time in Utica next year.

It would not surprise me to see both McCann and Virtanen in Utica next year. An alternative for McCann would be to play him at LW, although there will be competition there next year as well, with Gaunce and Shinkaruk both looking to make the big team, and there is a good chance Burrows is still in the mix.

But right now I think Vey is planning better than McCann and then there is that chemistry thing with Etem. Both those guys are being given a chance to show what they can do -- if they can be legitimate NHL 3rd liners. Still not sure the answer is "yes" but they are at least close.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. The coach is in a hard place right now, no doubt about it. He must feel an immense amount of pressure.

I do think that he won't get the ax though, as that would look worse on the organization than it would on him. Benning will flip the deck once more this offseason and hopefully give Willie a stable and efficient defense to work with, before giving him the hoof.

Travis Green's contract is up this summer... so who knows how that factors in the decision to carry on with WillieD or not.  I assume the Canucks would like to keep him but would he accept an assistant coach position/stay in Utica if he gets a head coach offer from another team.

54 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It would not surprise me to see both McCann and Virtanen in Utica next year. An alternative for McCann would be to play him at LW, although there will be competition there next year as well, with Gaunce and Shinkaruk both looking to make the big team, and there is a good chance Burrows is still in the mix.

But right now I think Vey is planning better than McCann and then there is that chemistry thing with Etem. Both those guys are being given a chance to show what they can do -- if they can be legitimate NHL 3rd liners. Still not sure the answer is "yes" but they are at least close.

I think Virtanen is on the roster next season. There's no better options for RW in Utica. Unless McCann puts on 15 or 20 pounds from now to September, I think he's in Utica next season. It'll be good for him too. Virtanen has that physical value though. That's tough to replace. If he goes on a tear with Bo and Baer, he's set.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Travis Green's contract is up this summer... so who knows how that factors in the decision to carry on with WillieD or not.  I assume the Canucks would like to keep him but would he accept an assistant coach position/stay in Utica if he gets a head coach offer from another team.

I think he has to make it to Vancouver next season. Even as an assistant. I think he'd take it too given a good chunk of the Nucks roster for the next few years are his guys anyways and Willie can't be more than a couple years from retirement. Only way he stays in the AHL is outta loyalty cuz he's gonna have offers galore.

3 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Need a win.... or a loss..... depending on which side of the fence you're  on  GCG!!!!!!

If Nucks can win both of these back to backs, they're actually back in the hunt. Theyll pull ahead of Coyotes and be 2 points of the Avs with 3 games in hand. Lose even one of em though and it's all over. I'm fine with either way really. So long as either way gets UFA's traded lol

15 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bo/Baer/Jake line tonight..They were amazing in the preseason..My only concern is their play in their own end of the ice..

Why, because of Virtanen?  Baertschi and Horvat have been used as the main shutdown line for most of the season against the opponents top scoring lines.

Canucks are going to be in tough tonight again. Sedins have gone back to their 'pass it to each other for infinity' ways, Hansen has come back to reality, and I just don't think the kids will give us enough tonight. 

I'd love to be proven wrong but unless we get crazy goaltending from Markstrom, I don't see us pulling a W. 

Who knows though. Maybe the Sedins will realize they need to shoot again and the new Kid line will rip it up. 

Archived