The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in signing NCAA goalie Alex Lyon

3 hours ago, nergish said:

What would we have gotten for Cory Schneider before he even played in the NHL? Nothing. 
Why on earth would we trade Thatcher having not even seen him at the pro level?

He very well could be a fitting franchise goaltender for the Leafs going forward... but why not for us instead?

Schneider was a high draft pick.. 1st round, 26th overall, 2004? .. Yes, you "would have" gotten something for Cory Schneider.

It really comes down to what a team needs.

Personally I would rather ride with Markstrom for the next 5 years, trade Demko and add Austin Mathews to this new Core of Canucks.  Lamorillo was interested in Schnider at the college level too,. Probably saw him as a successor to Martin Brodeur way back then.. Lou eventually got his man.  

Our rebuild IS partially on the ice right now,. We're just a few key moves from being very competitive..  The Leafs have dug a crater, and will be rebuilding over the next 3 years..  Demko will probably prime for the NHL in 3 years.. It might be something Lamorillo is considering.  He does build a team from the crease > out.

11 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Free asset. You can always move this guy down the road. Or Demko. Or keep them both with one being a back up to the other if the other flops.

Then people will cry when you trade to Carolina for a 3rd round pick :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely!  Sign the guy.  Then trade Demko in the summer at this draft for a 1st rounder, and select another D.  

Why trade Demko? The guy has been spectacular this season and is much younger than Lyon. I'd rather us let Demko pressure cook with a season or two with Utica in our system than pick a mid-twenties goalie that hasn't played a game in the NHL. 

Demko isn't going to be on the Canucks starting roster for a few years, there is no reason these two goalies need to fight over the market share. This team has shown time and time again that they're not afraid to move their starting goaltender if they think a younger option is a better alternative. If Lyon is worried that he won't get ice-time over Markstrom or Demko, then the issue is he doesn't think he can outperform them. 

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Schneider was a high draft pick.. 1st round, 26th overall, 2004? .. Yes, you "would have" gotten something for Cory Schneider.

It really comes down to what a team needs.

Personally I would rather ride with Markstrom for the next 5 years, trade Demko and add Austin Mathews to this new Core of Canucks.  Lamorillo was interested in Schnider at the college level too,. Probably saw him as a successor to Martin Brodeur way back then.. Lou eventually got his man.  

Our rebuild IS partially on the ice right now,. We're just a few key moves from being very competitive..  The Leafs have dug a crater, and will be rebuilding over the next 3 years..  Demko will probably prime for the NHL in 3 years.. It might be something Lamorillo is considering.  He does build a team from the crease > out.

Banking on Markstrom is a scary scary thought, imo...

He's come a long way, and obviously could be the guy for us... but I'm personally not comfortable designating him our next starter and dumping Thatcher in the process. Our 1st + Demko is tempting if it could actually land us in the top 3, but Thatch is elite. Been watching this kid like a hawk since his draft and the one thing that impresses me most is his confidence. In interviews, on twitter, doing little Youtube segments for Team USA and BC.... the kid has the same poise Cory had on and off the ice, and a Luongo-esque sense of humour and camaraderie. I haven't seen a goalie with this kind of character in a very long time. Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch Samsonov in a ton of action, but I would consider Demko to be the number 1 goaltending prospect in the world at present.

Markstrom is not good enough for us to let that slip through our fingers, even if it means getting Auston Matthews. 

Also, I went on record saying that our inability to make any moves at the TDL could mean we'll inevitably have to trade Thatcher for a 1C or 1D if we can't manage to land our own. But I was thinking a year or 2 down the road... not this summer. That thought p!$$e$ the hell outta me... because he IS that good, in a position that our market is obsessed with. Thatcher Demko has the potential to do more in this market than any 1C or 1D, despite our team needs.

9 minutes ago, nergish said:

He's come a long way, and obviously could be the guy for us... but I'm personally not comfortable designating him our next starter and dumping Thatcher in the process. Our 1st + Demko is tempting if it could actually land us in the top 3, but Thatch is elite. Been watching this kid like a hawk since his draft and the one thing that impresses me most is his confidence. In interviews, on twitter, doing little Youtube segments for Team USA and BC.... the kid has the same poise Cory had on and off the ice, and a Luongo-esque sense of humour and camaraderie. I haven't seen a goalie with this kind of character in a very long time. Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch Samsonov in a ton of action, but I would consider Demko to be the number 1 goaltending prospect in the world at present.

Markstrom is not good enough for us to let that slip through our fingers, even if it means getting Auston Matthews. 

Also, I went on record saying that our inability to make any moves at the TDL could mean we'll inevitably have to trade Thatcher for a 1C or 1D if we can't manage to land our own. But I was thinking a year or 2 down the road... not this summer. That thought p!$$e$ the hell outta me... because he IS that good, in a position that our market is obsessed with. Thatcher Demko has the potential to do more in this market than any 1C or 1D, despite our team needs.

Jeez, you really need to get that nasty Trade Demko thought out of your mind. You're gonna dive yourself crazy. :o

12 minutes ago, nergish said:

2 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Jeez, you really need to get that nasty Trade Demko thought out of your mind. You're gonna dive yourself crazy. :o

.. Warranted, yes,. A nasty thought to trade Demko.. But, for a Canuck team looking to be a highly competitive team within 3 years.. A practicle solution.  As Demko himself would probably not be a starting NHL goaltender for 3-5 years.  Just my opinion,. please know i find this conversation a good one..  Valid points all around.

I just can't see them  trading Demko. Miller will be gone next year either during or after the season. Markstrom will be the the starter by then. Bachman is an AHL filler /3rd string NHL goalie. Cannata is pretty much AHL filler. We don't have any other goalies. 

7 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

I just can't see them  trading Demko. Miller will be gone next year either during or after the season. Markstrom will be the the starter by then. Bachman is an AHL filler /3rd string NHL goalie. Cannata is pretty much AHL filler. We don't have any other goalies. 

Yeah, but we don't have a 1C or 1D either man. We don't have a shot in hell without one (frankly, both). If they think Markstrom is our guy (I mean, he is young enough to be around for another decade if so), then Demko is our only piece with any value even close to us getting a true franchise player (though I would argue he is one himself).

It's not a position of sheer strength as it was a few years ago, I agree. Just saying, if Benning has plans to speed up the rebuild, Thatcher may be our only trade piece. I personally, however, would be fine with extending our rebuild a few years (letting Markstrom shoulder the blame for consecutive losing seasons if he must) and bring in Thatcher right as our young players start hitting their peaks.

Who knows guys, maybe our tank will go as planned this year? This draft will change everything for us if we can get the right players. If not, then nobody is safe.

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Yeah, but we don't have a 1C or 1D either man. We don't have a shot in hell without one (frankly, both). If they think Markstrom is our guy (I mean, he is young enough to be around for another decade if so), then Demko is our only piece with any value even close to us getting a true franchise player (though I would argue he is one himself).

It's not a position of sheer strength as it was a few years ago, I agree. Just saying, if Benning has plans to speed up the rebuild, Thatcher may be our only trade piece. I personally, however, would be fine with extending our rebuild a few years (letting Markstrom shoulder the blame for consecutive losing seasons if he must) and bring in Thatcher right as our young players start hitting their peaks.

Who knows guys, maybe our tank will go as planned this year? This draft will change everything for us if we can get the right players. If not, then nobody is safe.

2 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

Trust the force. :)

Interesting  times ahead indeed ..

image.thumb.jpg.999c8d29811079831062f2a7

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Interesting  times ahead indeed ..

image.thumb.jpg.999c8d29811079831062f2a7

That's not how you spell Boeser, official Twitter of the Vancouver Canucks.

But yeah, this is alarming. Benning is going to flip this thing on its head this offseason, I don't think he even really likes our future core that much at present. Unfortunately, Demko is the brightest light of them all...

6 minutes ago, nergish said:

That's not how you spell Boeser, official Twitter of the Vancouver Canucks.

But yeah, this is alarming. Benning is going to flip this thing on its head this offseason, I don't think he even really likes our future core that much at present. Unfortunately, Demko is the brightest light of them all...

But look at the new young offensive talent set in the league,.  Eichel, McDavid, Larkin, ect..  You have to match that offensively at some point..  Like the years of dynasty the Habs had,. Your best Defense, is a great offense.

you can have years of great goaltending , but no team,. Carey Price,. Martin brodeur..  I think Benning is on the right track, patience is key.

sorry to sound cliche',.  But things in Utica look strong,. Our capspace will open up wide after Hamhuis, Vrbata and others peel off.. There are some interesting UFA's on the horizon,. Including Stsmkos.. And its hockey,  anything can happen.

hope to hear soon that we will be getting a look at Mr Tryamkin..

hopefully, WD isnt afraid to play him.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But look at the new young offensive talent set in the league,.  Eichel, McDavid, Larkin, ect..  You have to match that offensively at some point..  Like the years of dynasty the Habs had,. Your best Defense, is a great offense.

you can have years of great goaltending , but no team,. Carey Price,. Martin brodeur..  I think Benning is on the right track, patience is key.

sorry to sound cliche',.  But things in Utica look strong,. Our capspace will open up wide after Hamhuis, Vrbata and others peel off.. There are some interesting UFA's on the horizon,. Including Stsmkos.. And its hockey,  anything can happen.

hope to hear soon that we will be getting a look at Mr Tryamkin..

hopefully, WD isnt afraid to play him.

The thing that's making it so complicated for Jimbo is that we have MASSIVE holes in the 1C and 1D area, and like you say, NOBODY who can come close to competing with the Eichels, Larkins, McDavids of the league in terms of offense - yet we have assembled a bloody magnificent cupboard of complementary players BUILT for the playoffs. 

First off, Bo freakin Horvat. Gotta remember why Gillis wanted him so badly. Kid ups the ante big time when everything is on the line. I cannot wait to see Bo on a nucks playoff run. Then you look at Jake. You find this kid in his prime and he'll be one "beast mode" away from taking over a series. Trigger finger Boeser looks like he be a dynamic playmaker's best friend, as well. Now... we need to find one for him.

If we can bring in a true elite player without disrupting this nice balanced cupboard we've got, we might be a team after all. 

It's just a patience game now for Jimbo. We get a Matthews or a Puljujarvi, then Benning can afford to let things play out naturally. If not, then he needs to be selling high on our guys in attempt at making a team that can compete with the influx of talent that's found its way into our division while seemingly avoiding Vancouver.

But you need goaltending to win in this league too... and it sure is a hell of a lot more fun to imagine this team going forward with Demko in net than without.

Archived